#16 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 06:48 PM

I have been watching this Clinton engine auction on eBay.  It is an early 700A with a kick start.  Now, granted, I know kick start engine bring money, but this seems unreal.

http://www.ebay.com/...cvip=true&rt=nc

$700 for a 700?

Yes, there something special about this engine beyond that it obviously did power a go kart (see the clutch on the tail end).  It looks to have the Scintilla lighting coil on the mag plate (see the two wires off the side) and that means it was intended to go to work for a go kart or vehicular application.

However, It has the incorrect air cleaner (off a Tecumseh) and the owner will have to move heaven and earth to find the proper dry element.  It has the wrong dipstick. 

So $700?  Is this an engine for some rare machine that everyone is drooling to own?  What kind of money is that?

On another note, I see a 2-13-47 stamped in the block.  That would apply to the era when Clinton was making the first 700A, and it looks coherently like a date stamp.  I swear I've never seen that on my early engines.  Did they date stamp just a few?

Ben W.

Ben,That is the block part number that refers to the year it was casted. Number 49 of that series, more then likely in 1950.

My B-1102 has the same grouping of numbers ending in 49 also, close attention is to be payed to how the numbers are casted on the block.

My 700A predates the one on fleabay as being one of the first because it ends in a single number 6, he is asking stupid high money for a engine missing parts and i doubt it came with the flat dry air cleaner like mines has seeing as it is a bit later and for a mini bike or reel mowers which also used those foot starters.

• Traill95, boyscout862 and superaben have said thanks

#17 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 06:52 PM

Again, in my opinion  the majority of these prices all comes from these two little words posted on forums.........."Whats it worth?"    

God, and we wonder why the market is becoming inflated, this goes right along with the word ''RARE''.

• Bolens 1000 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#18 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 06:58 PM

While it's true that people give way too much many many times, and it drives up the market, each of us would dearly love to get these kind of bidders on items we decide to sell.  I for one won't gripe if I list something & it brings a stupid price.  :smilewink:

• DougT, Traill95, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#19 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 07:01 PM

Ummmmm........ That's 3 words??? 

I fixed my typo..........

God, and we wonder why the market is becoming inflated, this goes right along with the word ''RARE''.

Exactly, we have no one to blame but ourselves for the inflation, thats why I no longer give values on anything in the open forums.

• trowel and Traill95 have said thanks

#20 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 07:02 PM

I was going to give my Clinton away to anyone who wanted to pay the shipping on it. Me thinks I will have to reconsider that now. :tapping_fingers:

And continue to drive up the market ? are these old engines valued as American history, pride, quality and craftsmanship or simply because you like that engine or is it the amount of money it brings ???

When i started Clintons were given to me, jeeze, my first restored Clinton still does not wear any decals because it was not avalible at the time.

• Traill95 said thank you

#21 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 07:08 PM

I fixed my typo..........

Exactly, we have no one to blame but ourselves for the inflation, thats why I no longer give values on anything in the open forums.

Same here, only thing those people care about is the money, when the bottom falls out they move on to the next joy ride.

I collect what i like and trade/sell at resonable prices so we can afford it, am i shooting myself in the foot ? depends on how it is looked at.

Edited by trowel, July 12, 2014 - 07:10 PM.

• Bolens 1000, Traill95, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#22 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 04:25 AM

Again, in my opinion  the majority of these prices all comes from these two Three little words posted on forums.........."Whats it worth?"    

I have to disagree with that.

I defy you to find just ONE "What's it worth" thread here where people claim the something is worth some outrageous price.

At best, someone will say that something is worth more IN THEIR AREA that it would be in some other area of the country.

It's all a matter of supply and demand.

This is 2014, not 2000.  There are more and more people getting into the GT hobby and the prices of these old tractors/attachments is going to keep raising as time goes by.

Get used to it.

Now I'm not defending the "Stupid Pricing", but even when something is listed at the prevailing price I see folks here complaining that "It's too high'.

For one reason or another, some tractors/attachments/parts DO bring what most of us would consider very high prices, but there are people that will pay those prices.

One very good example is the John Deere Patio tractors.  We've seen what those are going for, and the 'insane' prices are actual auction prices, not just some bozo listing at a buy it now price on eBay.

Another example are the OEM mufflers for the 2-cyl Bolens.  Those are going for $450.00-$500.00 on eBay. Not as buy it now, but in an actual bidding sale.  Personally, I don't think that they are worth that even if they were NOS, but enough people do that all of the ones listed do sell.

I do think that at some point the prices will start coming down, but it isn't going to be anytime soon.

Edited by OldBuzzard, July 13, 2014 - 04:27 AM.

• blackjackjakexxix, farmerall, Traill95 and 1 other said thanks

#23 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 06:58 AM

I was going to give my Clinton away to anyone who wanted to pay the shipping on it. Me thinks I will have to reconsider that now. :tapping_fingers:

I re-read my post with your quote, i see i forgot to mention my reply was not directed at you personally, i know it was a off hand comment, just don't want you to feel attacked and apologize if you felt as such.

Guess i freaked a bit, hear that a lot now that a lot of money eyed young adults are jumping into this just for the money.

I try not to be like some people who go around forcing their opinions on to others and turning a casual hobby into a full market price business using off hand comments such a ''get use to it'' were only those with lots of time and money stand to profit while those who enjoy it and has always lived like this end up losing it over others self centeredness and selfishness.

Edited by trowel, July 13, 2014 - 07:07 AM.

• Bolens 1000, olcowhand and Traill95 have said thanks

#24 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 08:13 AM

I have to disagree with that.

I defy you to find just ONE "What's it worth" thread here where people claim the something is worth some outrageous price.

At best, someone will say that something is worth more IN THEIR AREA that it would be in some other area of the country.

It's all a matter of supply and demand.

This is 2014, not 2000.  There are more and more people getting into the GT hobby and the prices of these old tractors/attachments is going to keep raising as time goes by.

Get used to it.

I really don't have the time to debate things like this but here it goes.....

This has nothing to do do with one specific thread but an accumulation of everyone posting what they would pay or have paid on these "Whats it worth " threads!

For example someone asks "what's it worth" then people gives values, its not long till you see the same machine or similar machines on ebay/CL for a bit more than what people posted, now lets say a buyer pays the asking price and the price is archived on the internet. Fast forward a month another whats it worth surfaces, the guy who just bought the last tractor posts what he paid (Which was higher than the last person paid) then another tractor pops up on the web for an even higher amount. Fact is people will always ask more than what people will tell you its worth and as the snowball keeps rolling year after year you get the inflated prices. Especially since alot of new people are getting into this hobby and don't know anything about the machines they are buying and end up paying the inflated price and yet again its archived on the net for how much they paid........

We could talk about rare but that's another issue I will not get into.

Now, genuine factory parts are an entirely different animal. People who take time to do a proper restoration want OEM parts to restore theirs and will pay more than market value to finish their project, I have done this plenty of times on NOS parts.

I guess I'm glad I started early in this hobby and found most of what I wanted as now you have to pay almost triple the prices and that does not bode well for a collector who is going to shell another few grand to restore them, I mean if I just left my stuff outside and never did anything with it I guess I would feel comfortable paying the asking price as I wouldn't need to save money to restore them.

smiley-violent035.gif

• wilberj, trowel, bgkid2966 and 1 other said thanks

#25 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 08:52 AM

Same here, what worries me the most is that as of late the bottom has been falling out of a lot of mechanical markets, primarlly due to cost rising to such that no body is willing and it falls, fast so not only do those profiting off this loses but those who has lived this kind of life now has nothing and this day and age were the older generations are seen as disposable, worthless and unable to find another mean of support that is a very bad place to be.

I see this personally every day throughout my own family and friends.

Not too long ago in lower Ma, CT and RI the walk behind reel mowers Locke skyrocketed, now many can be had for pennies, bad new for the machines seeing as many will be turned into projects and eventually discarded or chucked in favor of scrap values because it is out of style and now in the way.

I collect Clinton engines, always have but i see my days are numbered now, the improvements and research into this little know engines result from peoples hard work and many years of searching, many facts will never be know but with inflated prices brings a lot of problems, if this continues to climb then i am done and refuse to relay any advice or infomation in regards to these engines.

Just last month i was yet again hurt to find that the person i was relaying my many years of hard work, books, literatures and personal hand on experiences on these engine only to find it was to increase the persons profit. Welcome to the new age, look at the bottom of my page, ....do you see anything ?? i am an expert in nothing, my views and opinions are just that and nothing more, always something new to learn and besides, i don't want people to know what else i collect, there are a lot out there just like me who have chose to step away, it is only in the past several months i have opened back up on Clinton engines due to the rise in interest regarding GTs, once that has past, im out, my entire collection is not for sale or to flaunt in front of people for attention, i place no financial value on any of the engines and could care less if some of my ''rarer'' stuff brings top dollar right now or that some of the other things are worth $ 5, the value in my eyes is personal and that is what this always was for many of us.

I only give out what is needed regarding tractors and engines and nothing more, that is a lesson i learned many years ago to control the market, only those who trully love and enjoy this hobby share the importaint information, loud mouth advice givers tend to wreck everything for every one, here today, gone tommorrow on to the next joy ride.

With that being said i will go back to my simple posting.

• Bolens 1000, WHdbJD, Traill95 and 2 others have said thanks

#26 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 2,144 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 08:54 AM

Interesting opinions and thoughts!

Bottom line is: Anything is worth only what someone is willing to pay for it.

If you consider the price too high, don't buy it!

If you feel you want/need something badly enough, you pay the price.

No one is putting a gun to your head!

I can't help but think that prices are considered too high if someone is buying, but considered fair, or low, if they are selling!

Inflation is a fact of life.  ....Prices today for replacement parts are higher than they were 5, 10, 20, or 30 years ago!  .....Why is it that a GT that sold new for $500 in 1968 can't be worth that today if it is in good condition?  ....Something new comparable today will be in the $2500-$3000 range. ....Demand, condition, and availability of similar tractors influences the current value. 

When I see a NOS part that sold for $3.00 in 1968 being sold today for $100, I think that it is ridiculous!  ....But, I don't need or want one, so if someone else does, that's up to them.  ....If no one will pay the $100, then the price will come down. 

I find it ironic that "collectors" only want prices to stay low, so they can buy more items cheaply.  ....But when it comes time for them to part with any item, it is now "gold."

• Bolens 1000, olcowhand, DougT and 3 others have said thanks

#27 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 08:59 AM

Interesting opinions and thoughts!

Bottom line is: Anything is worth only what someone is willing to pay for it.

If you consider the price too high, don't buy it!

If you feel you want/need something badly enough, you pay the price.

No one is putting a gun to your head!

I find it ironic that "collectors" only want prices to stay low, so they can buy more items cheaply.  ....But when it comes time for them to part with any item, it is now "gold."

Right, that is how it is controled, boycott it, don't allow this to force people like Ben or Brian to have to increase the prices.

• Bolens 1000, Traill95 and superaben have said thanks

#28 bgkid2966 ONLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 09:27 AM

IMHO the people who think they got a good deal did. The people who feel they got ripped off made the choice to pay the price.

When I sell a part I look to give someone a good price like what I would like to find. I recently sold a few parts to another member for what I thought was a good price. The parts were available new and pretty darned pricey. 

Again just my humble opinion.

Geno

• olcowhand, blackjackjakexxix, Traill95 and 1 other said thanks

#29 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,574 Thanks
  • 916 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 01:40 PM

I re-read my post with your quote, i see i forgot to mention my reply was not directed at you personally, i know it was a off hand comment, just don't want you to feel attacked and apologize if you felt as such.

Guess i freaked a bit, hear that a lot now that a lot of money eyed young adults are jumping into this just for the money.

I try not to be like some people who go around forcing their opinions on to others and turning a casual hobby into a full market price business using off hand comments such a ''get use to it'' were only those with lots of time and money stand to profit while those who enjoy it and has always lived like this end up losing it over others self centeredness and selfishness.

No offense taken. I was really just joking about the price as I think 700 for an old Clinton is very high to me but as they say "it will bring what the market will bear.

• olcowhand and trowel have said thanks

#30 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,574 Thanks
  • 916 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 01:43 PM

All in all if Clintons are worth that much...I am willing to trade my Clinton engine for a Springfield Tractor in Good to Excellent condition.

:smilewink:  :smilewink:  :smilewink: .  :bigrofl:

• trowel, pigsitter and superaben have said thanks