33 replies to this topic

#1 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 08:02 AM

I have been watching this Clinton engine auction on eBay.  It is an early 700A with a kick start.  Now, granted, I know kick start engine bring money, but this seems unreal.

http://www.ebay.com/...cvip=true&rt=nc

$700 for a 700?

Yes, there something special about this engine beyond that it obviously did power a go kart (see the clutch on the tail end).  It looks to have the Scintilla lighting coil on the mag plate (see the two wires off the side) and that means it was intended to go to work for a go kart or vehicular application.

However, It has the incorrect air cleaner (off a Tecumseh) and the owner will have to move heaven and earth to find the proper dry element.  It has the wrong dipstick. 

So $700?  Is this an engine for some rare machine that everyone is drooling to own?  What kind of money is that?

On another note, I see a 2-13-47 stamped in the block.  That would apply to the era when Clinton was making the first 700A, and it looks coherently like a date stamp.  I swear I've never seen that on my early engines.  Did they date stamp just a few?

Ben W.

• trowel, Traill95, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 08:22 AM

Seems all these older engines are going for stupid money. Couldn't believe the prices I saw last weekend at the Threshers re-union.

• trowel, Traill95 and superaben have said thanks

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 08:23 AM

Seems all these older engines are going for stupid money. Couldn't believe the prices I saw last weekend at the Threshers re-union.

I hear you.  You can barely buy an antique Briggs anymore.

Ben W.

• trowel and Traill95 have said thanks

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 08:25 AM

It's ridiculous.

• trowel and Traill95 have said thanks

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 10:34 AM

The money is stupid and most of the buyers are too. Prices on everything are inflated but there are still bargains out there. It just makes the hunt more of a challenge and the aquisition that much more precious.

I see this often with classic cars. A guy will buy a classic car intending to restore it (even though he hasn't done it before). It only takes an hour on TV, how hard can it be?  He then buys a bunch of aftermarket parts and starts the project. Several years later, its apart, a few places welded(out of alignment) and he gives up. A few more years and the whole thing is for sale for less than he paid for the car.

We will be seeing a bunch of that in a few years when the pickers and restorers are no longer on TV.

BTW anybody can add a date stamp at anytime. I don't put much faith in them. Good Luck, Rick

• Gtractor, IamSherwood, Titus and 3 others have said thanks

#6 gunstuff1000 OFFLINE  

gunstuff1000
  • Member No: 40822
  • 926 Thanks
  • 556 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 11:15 AM

I bet when he listed it for $50 he never dreamed it would have brought $700!
  • trowel, Traill95, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 11:47 AM

Again, in my opinion  the majority of these prices all comes from these two Three little words posted on forums.........."Whats it worth?"    

Edited by Bolens 1000, July 12, 2014 - 06:59 PM.

• trowel, Traill95, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#8 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,733 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 12:02 PM

This engine is for a doodlebug scooter, at least it is a scooter engine. It takes a special base for the kickstart. I don't know enough about the bikes and scooters to know if the clutch is original or not. I wouldn't actually call the number a date stamp, it is cast into the block. Hard to fudge that. It represents the casting date of the block, not the actual production date. most of these dates are from the late 40s. I'm not sure what they correspnded wiith or maybe just a time frame in company history. The price really doesn't surprise me, I've seen these sell before.

• Gtractor and Traill95 have said thanks

#9 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 12:09 PM

That looks to be an ordinary aftermarket Comet clutch to me.  Man do I wish I had a shelf full of those engines!  If I did, the shelf would be empty quick!

• trowel, Traill95 and petrj6 have said thanks

#10 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,733 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 12:10 PM

Again, in my opinion  the majority of these prices all comes from these two little words posted on forums.........."Whats it worth?"    

Ummmmm........ That's 3 words???  I think this is more of a whatever the market will bear deal. It's about the going rate for this particular engine. It only started at 50 which is fair to high for an ordinary Clinton. The flipside of these high dollar ebay auctions is some are never paid. The DB reel mowers that sold for 8000(?) was a good example. the buyer bid numerous times and then claimed he didn't know he was bidding that much. Ebay says OK and doesn't see him as a non-paying bidder. Stupidity or on purpose?????

• olcowhand, Traill95 and superaben have said thanks

#11 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 12:21 PM

I hear you.  You can barely buy an antique Briggs anymore.

Ben W.

http://fredericksbur...4559230170.html

• trowel, Traill95 and superaben have said thanks

#12 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,576 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 02:17 PM

I was going to give my Clinton away to anyone who wanted to pay the shipping on it. Me thinks I will have to reconsider that now. :tapping_fingers:

• boyscout862 and superaben have said thanks

#13 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 06:04 PM

The money is stupid and most of the buyers are too. Prices on everything are inflated but there are still bargains out there. It just makes the hunt more of a challenge and the aquisition that much more precious.

We will be seeing a bunch of that in a few years when the pickers and restorers are no longer on TV.

I tried to buy an old lauson engine at auction a while back just for the heck of it,boy was I surprised when the bidding ended,I recognized the buyer and assume it left the sale and headed straight to Ebay. I believe you're dead on correct that the tv reality shows are a lot to blame for the inflated prices now a days as the more of these shows air the bigger the auction crowds get and the more money stuff is bringing.Let's all hope this a very short lived fad! :thumbs:

• trowel, Traill95 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#14 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 06:17 PM

What people will pay is not always reflective of the market...."its worth whatever you will pay" is wrong as often as its right. What something is worth cannot be determined by what a pair of like-minded bidders will cough up on a given day unless it is a one of a kind item. People get deals or overpay for things every day.
  • Traill95 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#15 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,911 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 06:39 PM

I agree with mister Green its capitalism at its finest some days your the winner as the seller and some days your the winner as the buyer.
  • Traill95 and superaben have said thanks