• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 863 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 07:44 AM

Decided Allis a 1961 D17 gas needed new plugs, points and condenser. Got 3 of the plugs out with out a whole lot of effort. 4th one came out just fine but left the threaded part in the head. Tried those spiral type bolt extractors and it just would not grip the thread part to come out. Got a pluming pipe extractor and tapped it in place Put the wrench on it and it snapped off. Now it is stuck in there so I know the head is going to have to be removed to get that out. Still wondering how to remove the plugs threads. I spray it with a penetrating oil about once a week hoping it will free up by the time I have time to fix it.

It was also a free tractor. The only loader tractor I have.

Allisbuildingthebeegarden.jpg

I also can get it stuck in very little mud. Rescued by the Pacer.

05-12-051961AllisChalmersfromGeorge.jpg

:D   Al

Edited by alleyyooper, July 12, 2014 - 07:46 AM.

• hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,624 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 07:49 AM

Does it ever lose water? If so, I bet that's the cylinder.
Hope the repair goes smoothly.
  • trowel said thank you

#3 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 09:33 AM

Simple things like that usually turn into major projects very quickly, sometimes it seems ti has a mind of it's own.

It sounds to me removal of the head and use of heat is required, brake fluid mixed with kerosine pored over the threads then after a few hours try using a torch to heat up the surrounding area then flip the head and apply the heat being very careful not to damage the valves and don't heat up the head too much, just enough to get it hot, then being very careful as so not to burn yourself flip the head and dump the fluids/oils onto the threads to shock it loose, then cool down, do this several time in a row, sometimes it works, this is more of a do or break it method.

Best of luck.

Thoses are good little tractors, we almost bought a Allis to replace the John Deere M.

Edited by trowel, July 12, 2014 - 09:34 AM.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#4 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,706 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 09:48 AM

Man I hate it when something like that happens!  I really don't have any suggestions on getting it out, but just to wish you the best of luck.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 12:22 PM

Once the head is off, tap out the broken extractor, and if you wanna get it out yourself, try using a die grinder with a carbide cutter & take the plug base down on opposite sides till you "just" see the block threads.  At this point you might be able to knock each half loose.  You may want to do 3 places, then I know each 1/3 would knock out easy enough.

• MH81, JDBrian, trowel and 1 other said thanks

#6 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 07:55 PM

Once the head is off, tap out the broken extractor, and if you wanna get it out yourself, try using a die grinder with a carbide cutter & take the plug base down on opposite sides till you "just" see the block threads.  At this point you might be able to knock each half loose.  You may want to do 3 places, then I know each 1/3 would knock out easy enough.

That's a much better advise, i'll have to remember that.

#7 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 863 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 05:43 AM

Thanks I had already decided the head had to come off just to get that plumbing extractor chunk out. Hate the 70.00 plus expenditure for a valve grind gasket set though.

Even I used a left hand twist drill the head needed to be off.

All good Ideas. I need to buy a bottle/can of coke and see if it is still as good at freeing up rusted parts as it used to be.

:D   Al