10 replies to this topic

#1 drtechno OFFLINE  

drtechno

• Member No: 6205
  • 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 08:47 AM

Hopefully a quick question.

So my LT155 apparently died yesterday.. It was running fine, then after emptying the bags, it would not start.  At first, it would crank but not catch, and then eventually, it now only buzzes but does not even crank.

Things that I have done include charging the battery off an external charger and trying again, trying to jump start from a car battery (yes, same voltage).  Still same thing, buzz but no crank.

Obviously the brake pedal is depressed and the mower blades disengaged.

I have replaced fuel filter and verified that fuel appears to flow through it.

The key mechanism was replaced last year.

Is the starter toast?  I would imagine that it wouldn't even buzz if the starter was gone? 

Anyway, I am looking for a technical manual to find out where the starter is so I can check it. 

Also, is there an easy way to test if the safety/disable switches are working properly (the seat safety switch and the brake pedal safety switch) because these could potentially be preventing the engine from cranking???  Not sure.

Any help is greatly appreciated !

Thanks guys !

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 10:19 AM

Check your grounds.

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 10:21 AM

:welcometogttalk:

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 10:21 AM

:wewantpics:

#5 drtechno OFFLINE  

drtechno

• 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 11:11 AM

Pics ?  Its kind of an old dirty lawn tractor ;P  Nothing exciting

Ok, thanks.. will check grounds on what components?  Battery, solenoid ?  Anyone have a diagram on where the solenoid is ?

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 08:12 PM

The redneck test is to take a hot wire and run straight to the red wire on the starter.  You'll see some sparks and if the starter is good, the motor will crank.

If nothing happens, or you still hear that hum, your starter Bendix is hung up.  That's the gear that shoots up to spin the engine.

If it works fine when you jump it like that, but still hums when you start it normally, you have either: bad solenoid or (if equipped) a bad relay.

Ben W.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,532 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 06:56 AM

Welcome to GTT. If the Bendix is stuck, you may be able to release it by hand turning the engine. Good Luck, Rick

#8 drtechno OFFLINE  

drtechno

• 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 09:23 AM

Yea so the starter is getting something like 8-9volts when I turn the key, so the electrical up to the starter appears fine.  However, there is just the hum/buzz when the key is turned and eventually, a small amount of smoke (!) comes from the area of the engine/starter.  Sounds like the gear is stuck ?

#9 drtechno OFFLINE  

drtechno

• 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 04:05 PM

Ok.. I took of the cover to the starter and the gear is not popping up to engage the motor.  Here is the video off of youtube, of my turning the key and the buzzing sound.

I have 12 v across the battery, and 12v across the solenoid.  When I turn the key, I have ~8-9volts at the positive terminal of the starter.

Is the starter bad or is the 8-9 volts not enough to engage the starter?

#10 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 08:56 PM

Ok.. I took of the cover to the starter and the gear is not popping up to engage the motor.  Here is the video off of youtube, of my turning the key and the buzzing sound.

I have 12 v across the battery, and 12v across the solenoid.  When I turn the key, I have ~8-9volts at the positive terminal of the starter.

Is the starter bad or is the 8-9 volts not enough to engage the starter?

8-9 volts is not even close to engaging the starter if that is all the battery has.  However, you are probably reading load voltage, which means that is what is left as the starter pulls down the system.  A real live battery tester (load tester) would say that was a bad battery, but then again I've had many machines start forever with a "bad battery."

Is the battery good?  Try to jump start the tractor and see what happens.  Rule that out.

Sounds like you have a possibility of a loose cable somewhere. 

Ben W.

#11 drtechno OFFLINE  

drtechno

• 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 12:04 PM

Awesome .. Thx.. I am getting the battery tested today to see if thats the issue.  Otherwise I will be hunting for loose wires?

Shouldn't the starter gear be attempting to engage if the starter is getting the correct voltage?