#1 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 06:29 AM

I see spell check no longer works anymore so forgive the spelling,...having to absoluty FIGHT with this new OX programe,.......

New knives mounted, ...finally,.....and try it out, worked ok, needs all the bugs worked out of it, readjust pitmen arm, tighten bolts, needs swathboard and something of a cable lift so i don't have to get off the tractor and pick up and latch the bar for transport over obstacles and just like the John Deere number 5 sickle the cut grass falls towards the sickle drive and wraps itself around the pitmen arm requiring clearing of potential jams, i may fab a simple tin shield.

New OEM drive belt is mounted but seems too long already with the mid mount pto mule drive all the way back resting on the stop against the tractor frame so when the belt stretches it will no longer be tight, need to figure that out.

Managed to make a bunch of passes then the bolt on the drive head for the pitmen arm snapped right at the thread and flung the bushing out into the field, after inspection of the bolt i concluded it was overtighening of cheap china bolt seeing as the previous owner stated he replaced the bushing.

A safety side note for anyone with Sickle mower, never, never ever pick up and hold the sickle by the rock guards,...ever, only by the skid shoe and stand behind the bar also when moving to or mounting the sickle mower to the tractor, this is for any sickle mower for any brand from field tractors to garden tractor, even with the engine off the knives can slide down the bar and cut off fingers, as a safe guard i will be making a knive/rock guard cove.

New bushings for the pitmen arm has been ordered from Simplicity and a swathboard built unless life has more roadblocks for me.

Natually i would upload photos for you guys to see but i see it has major issues that will take hours to sort out, time to call the Apple guys yet again and remind then that i absolutly HATE this new update programe :bs: :smashing_pc: :wtf:

Edited by trowel, July 11, 2014 - 06:39 AM.

• olcowhand, Bill56, Talntedmrgreen and 3 others have said thanks

#2 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 06:46 AM

Good luck with the pc, I want pics of that sickle bar when you get them.  I am looking for one myself so anything I can learn about them would be great.

Pete

• trowel said thank you

#3 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 07:23 AM

Mind of it's own, no idea how or why but here are the photos :

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF1266.JPG
  • DSCF1267.JPG

• MH81, sacsr, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and 1 other said thanks

#4 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 07:31 AM

Bummer...unfortunate struggles.  I understand the handling warnings well...had a couple close calls over the years. 

• trowel said thank you

#5 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 01:20 PM

Good luck with the pc, I want pics of that sickle bar when you get them.  I am looking for one myself so anything I can learn about them would be great.

Pete

I should of taken more but was occupied, as i go i will try to recall photos.

As you see Allis is still going, she powers the sickle with plenty to spare.

#6 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 02:43 PM

Sure I see how it is :watching_you:, you buy the tractor from me then put an attachment on it I have been looking for then brag and send pics of it and tell how well it works.  :boo_hoo:  I am now very upset and green eyed with envy.

On a more serious note, the tractor looks great with the bar on there.  If I weren't so cheap I would have a sickle bar by now, I have passed up A few as being to far away or to expensive.  the reality is I am cheap and will wait for a good deal to come my way.

Pete

• MH81, trowel and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 02:56 PM

Country looks nice there...love the hills!

• trowel and propane1 have said thanks

#8 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 04:38 PM

Sure I see how it is :watching_you:, you buy the tractor from me then put an attachment on it I have been looking for then brag and send pics of it and tell how well it works.  :boo_hoo:  I am now very upset and green eyed with envy.

On a more serious note, the tractor looks great with the bar on there.  If I weren't so cheap I would have a sickle bar by now, I have passed up A few as being to far away or to expensive.  the reality is I am cheap and will wait for a good deal to come my way.

Pete

Sorry :watch_over_fence: if it makes you feel a wee bit better,...the bolt  for pittmen arm on the sickle broke and flung the bushing into the field to be eatened by the horses, im not picking through horse poo to get it back :say_what:

I got lucky with this one, just happened to walk by it. Im always keeping an eye out for these things, one comes my way you will be the first to know.

#9 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 04:48 PM

Country looks nice there...love the hills!

Thanks, this area is known as ''the hilltowns'' very, very quiet up here, we are on a large meadow on top of a mont in sort of a valley, the highest point is to the left in the photo.

The town of Ashfield is mostly like this, all the small towns up here are like this, small grouping in valleys between the monts.

#10 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 08:35 PM

That's a great attachment!!

• trowel said thank you