• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Alberta Bolens ONLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 442 Thanks
  • 251 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 10:51 PM

Hi.  I have a line on a Oliver 77 with loader.  It was parked about ten years ago and was running.  tires holding air engine turns by hand not siezed.  Its in a shed so not weathered to bad, although dirty and oil build up in spots.  

Any idea what it would be worth as is?  I'm thinking $800 to $1,000.

Thanks for any info you share with me.

#2 Alberta Bolens ONLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 442 Thanks
  • 251 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 11:42 PM

Looking like its a super 77 I think its a gas engine.

#3 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 11:50 PM

find out what scrape price is and add a little to it. depending on the shape of the tires and everything i would say about a thousand would be as high as i go with it 

#4 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 03:45 AM

Cool... those are nice tractors... I'd say its easily worth $1000 as long as its complete and you think it wont take alot to get it running, even without a loader. You might be better off checking at yesterdays tractors forum because there might be some collectors over there.... careful tho... anyone restoring a 77 fleetline would kill for parts tractor at that price... h3ll I'll buy it if you dont want it;).

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 07:34 AM

The 77 was a great tractor. I do not know how common they were in your area, I think most of them going north over the border were colored and labeled as Cockshutt. There is a site called Tractor Data that lists tractors for sale and what they are asking for them.
That is where I always go first looking for price comparisons.

#6 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 162 Thanks
  • 216 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 08:37 AM

There are a lot of variables.  Narrow or wide front?  Wide being more desirable for loader work.  Hydraulic bucket or trip bucket?  Full hydraulic bucket is the best, a trip is good if the only other thing you have is a shovel.  Any factory weights?  These can be desirable.  Three point hitch, factory or aftermarket?  Gas or diesel?  Gas will be better for cold weather use, Oliver diesels tend to be hard starters cold due to valve recession.  Some valve protrusions were not right from the factory on diesels.  If it is a diesel that has not run in a long time, there is a window to open on the pump you can open to make sure the pump head will turn before cranking the engine with the starter.  The Bosch pump head can stick and break off, making the injection head junk, they are not cheap.  In my area, that tractor would probably bring $1500 at a farm sale.  A good pair of 38" tires will bring $3-400. 

Forgot, easiest way to tell Fleetline from Super series:  Fleetlines will have holes in the tub for pipe cultivators.  Supers will have flat pads with drilled holes on the side of the tub instead of large holes.

Edited by Sprint 6, July 11, 2014 - 10:09 AM.

• drbish said thank you

#7 Alberta Bolens ONLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 442 Thanks
  • 251 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 09:44 AM

Thanks for the info.  I'm going back to take lot closer look today.  There is no hood on it.  Hood is leaning against the wall I didn't see  the side tin.  Wide front end.  There is a parts tractor that would be included, if I can move it. (only one back tire has rubber and its flat.

Owner An older fellow, said he put a new clutch in it.  Made it sound like you could hit the starter and go to work. His daughter said they used it to move some stumps about ten years ago and it been sitting in the shed ever since.  

See what happens.

#8 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 11:55 AM

Dont Forget Pics...lol

...and theres a parts tractor???... ya you should buy them if you can get them both for that kind of $$$.

When I was a kid Pop ran a Cockshutt dealership so Ive always had a soft spot for the old Olivers. I dont know if alot of 77s would have come to Canada because Cockshutt was also building their own tractors in Ontario at that time, Im looking for one of those... but I wouldnt turn down an Oliver;)

Did the Super still have the side panels over the engine?

#9 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 162 Thanks
  • 216 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 12:26 PM

Supers do not have full side panels.  There are panels that come off, but they are cut out around the engine.  Full panels ended with the Fleetline.  Sheet metal is not a dead giveaway for a Super, though.  Lots of dealers offered, any many farmers did, upgrade packages to make a Fleetline look like a newer Super in side panels and paint.  That is why I always look for the tub holes on a Fleetline.  Even that is not definitive because lots of swapping went on over 60+ years.  The only models built as a Super series only is the Super 44 and Super 55.  I have an in-the-family-since-new 1957 Super 55, great tractor with great power for its size.  Good on fuel, too.  The Super 44 is uber rare, only 700 some were built, rough ones sell for $10K.  Only rarer Oliver that I know is the 440, only 400 some built.

• Lance Skene said thank you

#10 Alberta Bolens ONLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 442 Thanks
  • 251 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 08:12 PM

I went had a good look.  Loader is full hydralic.  Tires are all holding air and don't look bad for cracking. Tractor has been under cover.  Tin is rough and some missing.  Anti freeze has leaked out looks like around water pump. The tractor is not running and hasn't for maybe ten years. The partial side panels are gone off of both tractors.  The parts tractor only has flat rubber on one back wheel no front tires or rims.  So it be a bugger to move.  This is at a garage sale and the old folks have moved, their place needs to be emptied by end of the month.  

Talking to him last night he wanted $1,200 to $1,500 for it.  Anyways its not running and would take some work. I offered him $1,000 and he was going to let me know.  I haven't heard yet so I'm guessing he is waiting to see if anyone shows up tomorrow with more cash.  I don't really have time to move it after tomorrow so I'm kinda loosing interest as the day goes by.

Lance if you're interested its near Morningside on Highway 2A between Lacombe and Ponoka.  

#11 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 12:58 AM

I might have a look, gonna be as far as Olds tomorrow anyway, but I doubt I would offer more than $1000 because hauling them back here would cost me another $600+ in fuel, plus moving them by months end would be tough for me, I'll be camping with the g-kids up near Cold Lake two weeks from now.

Are they identical tractors? Could a person move one and then take the wheels back to get the other one? Is there anything there big enough to pull them onto a trailer?

Asking $1200-$1500 still sounds reasonable but if they're in a hurry they 'should' accept your offer, might not find another buyer capable and willing to move them quickly... haying season has started so folks are gettin busy.

Missing body work might be a concern but I know a guy near Edmonton that likes his Olivers... I'll txt him tomorrow and see if he thinks they will be hard to find.

#12 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 10:21 AM

Nothing new to report AB?

I only made it as far as Red Deer yesterday so never got to see them, I did txt with my buddy up near edmonton tho... he already knew about them and had sent an email about one but the seller never got back to him, didnt say if he made any offer, did say it might be another $500 to find the panels if they are missing, and that they should have accepted your offer for $1000, he seemed to think even the good one looked abit junky.

I stopped at a farm near Linden whjere I saw a Cub 154 Lo-Boy out front... not sure yet if I might buy it or he might buy mine, apparantly he also has a full size Bronco truck that I may be interested in for parts(another project on the go here), but we were both busy so just swapped #s for now, he has to check with his sister about the Lo-Boy and get back to me.

He mentioned he has an Oliver 70 also so I want to get back over there in the near future and see what else he might have. Im looking for a Cockshutt to restore so Im not really interested in these Olivers other than to use them as trade items if I can get them for the right price. 

#13 Alberta Bolens ONLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 442 Thanks
  • 251 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 04:39 PM

HI.  I guess someone else offered them more.  Although they haven't seen the cash yet.  Thought it was a garage sale not a silent Auction :D   I don't really need a unit like that as I only have few acres.  I do have some stumps I'd like to pull and the 1050 Bolens or the JD 425 aren't quite big enough.  

It was more for a toy and project than anything.  Something will pop up.

#14 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 10:26 AM

Thats too bad, but as you say... something will pop up, theres alot of old tractors around that are often not advertised, and those are always cheaper than the ones that are advertised.

I dont need any more tractors but I still want a Cockshutt so Im still going out looking alot, I can keep you mind if I come across anything else of interest, the little Ford Ns might be about the right size for you, they're a little smaller than those 77s, often in running condition for $1000-$1500 range... and enough of them around that parts arent too hard to find. Seems to be alot of Fergusons around also, those are about the same size and price range as the Fords.