12 replies to this topic

#1 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• Member No: 204
  • 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 10:06 PM

Been looking for a hitch pull type style box scraper for blading my gravel driveway and light dirt work around the farm. I'd be using my Massey GC2300 4wd tractor to pull it. Anybody know of some decent built brands for under $1,500.00? I'd prefer an electric linear actuator for lifting the box. Thanks Luke

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 10:27 PM

Don't know tractor, but doesn't it have 3pt with hdra lift??  I was wondering how big a GT you were gonna need for this thing. I had a heavy 4ft for my big wheel Power King and it lifted OK empty, but when full of gravel, the tractor pooped out real fast! Just sat and spun for some time and got stuck worse. If this is just a GT, would go smaller and lighter for sure.

#3 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 10:40 PM

Yeah it's a garden tractor....23hp. I could get a 3point box blade but I like the pull type scrapers better.....I think they are easier to keep level. I think if you take little bites of materials to be leveled my tractor would handle a 5' or 6' scraper fine.

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 11:02 PM

your GC is rated as a Sub Compact and a darn good one at that. Finding a wheel type box blade for that could be a chore.
I checked my Land Pride catalog and 3 point box blades for sub compacts are 42, 54 & 54 inch.

The only wheeled unit they list is 10 and 12 ft and recommended a 70-125 hp tractor.

#5 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 11:20 PM

Thanks for the reply and looking in your land pride catalog JD! Your darn right.....I love both my GC2610 TLB and GC2300 Massey's!!! It's amazing what these little tractors will do.....
I've did a search and found a company that builds a 4' box scraper with linear actuator. Company is called Earth Worx out of Colorado. Gonna call them tomorrow and get a price. Thanks

#6 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,632 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 02:14 AM

Does the GC2300 have aux hydraulic outlets at the rear?

If so this might be a possibility:

https://www.youtube....h?v=zLaMUS0Zca0

It's made by these folks and priced at $975.00:

http://www.xtrememot...s Equipment.htm

You have to scroll down on that page to find the listing for it.

• Alc, JD DANNELS and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 04:22 AM

4 ft is as wide as I'd go if you want to do much heavy scraping with that. The rule of thumb I've heard is 6hp /ft of box blade on a smaller tractor. so 6ft would need 35hp, 5ft-30 etc. You could probably stretch that a bit but a 6ft blade will be like dropping an anchor on a SCUT. The other thing to watch out for is the limited lift height. Many implement companies make lighter, lower height blades for use with SCUTs. 

• Alc said thank you

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,516 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 08:37 AM

Just a slightly different point. I level my driveway with a plow/bucket on the front and a york rake on the back of my Ford 2000. The York rake requires multiple passes but it will move a fair amount of dirt. The rake may be cheaper and more usefull in the long run. Good Luck, Rick

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 08:56 AM

My Ford 1500 is 20 hp and weighs a little over 2,000 lbs not counnting the wheel weights and I am running good ag tires. I run 9.5 x24 tires with two 70 lb weights on each wheel & 3 33 lb weights on the front.
I just graded my 1/4 mile lane Monday pulling a 5 ft 3 point blade and it is all I care to pull. Pulling a full load up hill I have to be careful of wheel spin. I have enough power but run out of traction.
My tractor is set at 48 inches center to center on the rear wheels.
If I were pulling a box blade with scarifiers to rip up the gravel I would not go over 4 ft. Like Brian said i would not go over 4 ft if it were me. Better to run within the capabilities of the tractor than straining it with too much load and breaking something.
Anothe implement I really like for grooming the lane, when I do not need to shap grade is my landscape rake.
It does a nice job of pulling gravel up from the pack and redistribuuting it. Best $ 450 buck I ever spent!

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 11, 2014 - 09:30 AM.

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#10 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 06:26 PM

Thanks everybody for the info! Think I'll stick to a 4ft box scraper as everyone has suggested. I called the company that builds the "Earth Worx" scrapers and they no longer offer a scraper. I ran across another company that also sells 4 ft box scrapers called "Grade Boss". Check these out......

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#11 B10Dave OFFLINE  

B10Dave

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1808
  • 386 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 08:28 PM

That scraper looks very interesting. I like the retractable scarifier teeth....Dave

#12 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 12:49 AM

That scraper looks very interesting. I like the retractable scarifier teeth....Dave

I agree Dave! It looks to be very nicely built. Only thing I'm seeing it's missing is a weight box over the rear axle so it would dig better into sod or any hard packed surface. Guess a guy could fabricate one on it. They are asking $1,275.00 and that includes shipping to my local dealer.

#13 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 09:58 PM

I wonder if you will need a weight box? with the floater wheels out the back taking weight off them being on a lever may be all the weight you need.