Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

What are some things that you have hit while snowblowing?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,668 Thanks
  • 17,196 posts

Posted March 01, 2010 - 10:53 AM

I am shure most of you have seen my thread about me hitting a screw driver with my Bolens. But if you have not here is the link: CLICK HERE

Just curious as to what you guys have hit while snowblowing :smile1:

#2 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted March 01, 2010 - 11:01 AM

I dont have a blower, but when I was a kid, my dad and I were on a Massey 35, plowing snow....I was on the back fender and we hit a raised manhole......Stopped us dead........we both ended up through the plastic windscreen and on the hood....He got the worst of it, I landed on top of him.....lol

#3 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted March 01, 2010 - 12:31 PM

My dog used to carry pieces of fire wood and leave them all over the place.Stops the blower dead thats for sure.Even had a old deer hide wrapped up one time,amazing what she'd bring home.She's no longer with us but have a young now and so far no fire wood just some hide's off of ???.Oh well the joy our dogs bring to us.Larry

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 01, 2010 - 05:07 PM

I only got to use my blower once so far so I didn't get a chance to have it eat anything.

#5 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted March 01, 2010 - 08:31 PM

I live on a nicely paved street, but this winter when clearing out the end of the driveway, I hit a huge rock. I don't know where it came from....it definitely wasn't there before it snowed. I guess it dropped off the plow truck.
It wouldn't seem so strange if I lived on some dirt back road, but on my street...it was weird.
It stopped the blower cold, and started to smoke my belt.

#6 Guest_James66_*

Guest_James66_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 01, 2010 - 11:09 PM

I dont have a blower, But I did hit a Hammer when I was mowing that went threw My wife back window on her car. James

#7 pulltilbroke OFFLINE  

pulltilbroke

MMMMmmmm DIESEL

• Contributor
  • Member No: 50
  • 469 Thanks
  • 454 posts

Posted March 08, 2010 - 05:52 AM

I usually use the snow blower to clean up the dog turds in the yard.:D

#8 Brent OFFLINE  

Brent

• Member No: 358
  • 5 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted July 27, 2010 - 10:16 PM

Welcome mats shred into confetti, and blue tarps wrap around the thrower... This past winter was pretty awesome.

#9 jdslednut OFFLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted July 27, 2010 - 11:36 PM

Don't have a working blower on any of my tractors but I have run the Sunday Shopper paper through my walk-behind a couple of times. Correction, it went through once and plugged it twice. Of course my neighbor was watching me when I shredded confetti all over his yard.

#10 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted July 28, 2010 - 07:51 AM

I managed to catch an extension cord that I had used to plug in my truck in the John Deere 112 with the blower. Anyone want to by 25 one foot pieces of extension cord?

#11 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted July 28, 2010 - 08:25 AM

I have a gravel driveway.... I move much of it to my lawn every winter.:wallbanging: Usually break at least one shear pin a year doing the path to the wood pile too when I find a piece of wood dropped into the snow....
Peter

#12 kingkw OFFLINE  

kingkw

• Contributor
  • Member No: 887
  • 1 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted July 28, 2010 - 06:37 PM

My Dad has had an Ariens GT18 for many years. He has been blowing his yard and the common driveway for the 5 other neighbors for many years. To be nice since in northern Wisconsin the snow builds quickly and lasts for several months he offered to also clean out a couple of the neighbors yards also so that they could just drive in when they would come up for the weekends. Strike #1 after a relatively small, but too much to let build snowfall my Father went to one of the neighbors to blow out their yard. Soon after beginning he heard some unusual noise disengaging the blower and stopping the tractor he found that he had wrapped up most of the dog chain that had been left out in the yard. Go back to the unheated garage get out the bolt cutter and start cutting it out before resuming the cleanup. The next time that they were up he asked that be more careful.
Strike#2 after one of the then frequent 24-30" snowfalls that winter his tractor came to an abrupt stop while cleaning out the yard of the same neighbor. He knew that the loud clunk was not a good sign. He disengaged the blower, backed up and that is when he found a piece of firewood very tightly stuck in the 48” auger. He then remembered that the neighbor had parked his snowmobile trailer in that area and must have used it to keep the tongue of the snowmobile trailer out of the snow. Apparently in a hurry when they left they just left it there for him to find the next time he blew snow. A rebuild of the blower gear box was soon needed. He then told them that he no longer could do the snow removal for their yard.

I just bought a GT 19 with a blower and mower and will need to be sure to watch for objects that my two dogs might leave out in the yard so that I don’t repeat the same experience.

Edited by kingkw, July 28, 2010 - 06:53 PM.

#13 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• Member No: 27
  • 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted August 04, 2010 - 08:26 PM

A tire chain that i lost the day before with the plowing tractor. I also put a stone through the window on my dads van.

#14 brzezinski01 OFFLINE  

brzezinski01

• Contributor
  • Member No: 632
  • 4 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted August 08, 2010 - 08:26 AM

a little Tonka truck that the kids left out before it snowed. luckily all it did was break some shear pins

#15 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 08, 2010 - 06:59 PM

brzezinski01:welcometogttalk:glad to have you here.