16 replies to this topic

#1 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 08:57 AM

I partially grew up "over north". It didn't seem so bad but to come back 10yrs later... Wow its a dump! In the last 3days there's been 5shootings. 2people dead and three wounded - sounds like a war zone. Im doing some side work taking out a chain link fence and putting in a 8ft privacy fence. The Home owners said people just jump the chain link fences and walk through the yards looking for things to steal. Me and a friend got the old fence removed and hauled out yesterday. I can't believe people. They have their rap music turned up outside and their cars are thumping. No consideration for their neighbors at all. I was warned by the home owner to not leave my truck and tools alone for even a minute as the thieves would have it picked clean.

I could barely get through the alley, the garbage was piled 4ft high in places. Should have invested in a v-plow so I wouldn't have had to get out and move stuff to get through.

The home owner is buying the lumber today, I will pick it up tomorrow and put up the new fence if all goes to plan.
  • GTTinkerer, hamman, sacsr and 6 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 09:36 AM

Sounds like a place to get out of fast. Atleast the Army would arm you when sending you into such an area. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc, BillTheTractorMan, GTTinkerer and 2 others have said thanks

#3 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 09:54 AM

Didn't know it was that bad UP-There...  No jobs make people do crazy things...The next Gen. isn't helping much either..

My cabin is in the LaCrosse area...Now one seems to have jobs...

• Bill 76 said thank you

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 10:35 AM

Can't believe it's so bad there !!!  Oh wait a minute,,, , bet Bill's just saying these bad thing to keep us out of a really nice area .

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,280 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 10:42 AM

Keep your head Down Bill. Hope it all goes smooth with no loss of tools or temper.

#6 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,878 Thanks
  • 2,793 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 11:07 AM

Sounds like that television show the next forty eight hours golly gee I wonder why ?

#7 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 11:46 AM

Can't believe it's so bad there !!! Oh wait a minute,,, , bet Bill's just saying these bad thing to keep us out of a really nice area .

I really wish it was nice there. There's beautiful houses and buildings but there unkempt for the most part and the crime rate Is ridicules.
  • Alc said thank you

#8 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,626 Thanks
  • 7,669 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 12:19 PM

Do you charge combat pay?  Tell them fools I pay $50 for any Wheel Horse they turn in. :thumbs:

• HANKG said thank you

#9 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,637 Thanks
  • 1,330 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 12:27 PM

That's why I live out in the sticks. It seems crime is getting worst everywhere you look lately. Hope you can get the job done soon and leave with all your tools.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#10 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,640 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 03:40 PM

Sounds like some places in Milwaukee,used to be a great town was at one time called the machine shop of the world.I lived there and worked there for almost 50 years now I live only live a few miles away and hate driving into town when I need something,some really bad areas,when the police have to go these areas it's not one squad it's about 5 at least.Most of the factories are gone and no jobs for the young people that want a job.

Is that Ford plant still in Twin cities? Had to go there a few times in the late 90s for my job----seamed like a nice town back then.  

#11 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,722 Thanks
  • 8,904 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 06:48 PM

Bill, keep your head on a swivel and be safe. It's bad everywhere. 84 shootings in 84 hours this last weekend in Chicago.

The Ford plant in St. Paul closed a year and a half ago. When they re-introduce the Ranger, it will be made overseas. The company I work for is doing some demolition and cleanup at that site. Makes the chemicals and hazards where I'm at (army ammunition plant) look like a picnic by the creek.
  • boyscout862 and Bill 76 have said thanks

#12 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 08:31 PM

Ditto on the ford plant, I got a tour before it closed. It's a shame it closed.

I still have a lot of people that I know in the area. Have an endless amount of "inside information" for the area and certain places to avoid. I dont fear anything happening to me as its unlikely. I do avoid confrontation though.
  • Alc and Bill 76 have said thanks

#13 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 863 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 07:22 AM

A cousin drove a city bus In twin cities up to about 1975. He got robbed one night and with in a week moved out of the cities and got a job of driving semis for Shano.

My daughter lived in Cottage grove in the early 1990's till her hubbies job made them move to Hutchison. Big tractor show there every summer(Allis Chalmbers museum there?).

I think it is the story of about every big city in America these days.

Nothing for the kids to do even if they could earn money to pay for a movie, skating rink. Just run in gangs and sell and do drugs and mug people. 

No decent paying jobs for adults and most with some ambition have moved to other areas looking for work.

I live near Flint Michigan, have to go there to the VA clinic at least 4 times a year. Used to be a Chevy, Buick and truck assembly plant there.  Stamping plants, engine plants and foundry and it is all gone except the truck plant and one engine plant. Lots of crime and run down areas even where the GM big shots used to live are dumpy.

Pontiac Michigan is also near by with pretty much the same story Pontiac car assembly plant and a big GMC truck plant foundry and engine transmission plant all gone and the crime is up and most areas are run down.

Detroit TV stations have news story's every day of killings, robbery's, car jacking and other crimes.

This country need work badly and the kids should go to school year around since they have nothing to keep them out of trouble with so much peer pressure.

Living in the country doesn't keep you from crime. A hay dealer down the road about 3/4 mile was killed recently for large amount of cash ($38.00) rumored to carry around.

Lots of home invasions too.

:D   Al

• GTTinkerer, boyscout862 and Bill 76 have said thanks

#14 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 06:33 PM

It is getting bad up here also even though we are 180 miles north of Flint.  Meth labs busted two or three times a week.  Murders, stabbings, assaults  robberies are way up.  Kids harassing folks on the street.  Glad I am on the downhill side.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#15 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,640 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 03:26 AM

Carry a can of brake clean in your back pocket when you have to do this job,better than the dollar store pepper spray.

• sacsr and boyscout862 have said thanks