My Lily

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

• Member No: 58852
  • 849 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 07:03 AM

Lily is a pound pup we got in August 2013. She has had a hard time of it trying to replace the last of my latest 4. She is also a hard headed Shir pei mix.

She has grown to 43 pounds at her one year visit to the vets. Has for what ever reason stopped wanting to eat all the deer poo in the woods field and yard. Keeping her away from that has been a chore to the point I was just about ready to just not allow her out of the yard much.

All last Fall I would pick her up and carry her across this bridge till about Nov when she decided I was not going to carry her across. She was fine if we were going south to get on the bridge cross it and wait for me to reach the other side and attack me. Going north she would rather wade the creek than walk on the bridge for some reason.

All winter we both just walked on the ice. But once the ice melted she found out quickly the water was real cold and started using the bridge
to go both way. In fact she would walk a log to cross the creek in the back I had been using with my other pups.

She seemed to like winter although she could no longer pick up a acorn to chew on as she really liked them.
But with her out standing nose the mice under the snow drift didn't stand a chance.

She has learned deer are some thing to look at but not chase most of the times although every so often for some reason she wants to chase. She doesn't pay any attention to the cars and trucks that go by when we are at the mail box. A snapping turtle is some thing to stay away from she seemed to know. She doesn't like snakes at all but unlike my Visula she won't kill them.
She would make a good rabbit hunting dog if I were to take the time to train her a little. She will see one while we are on our walks and will smell track them till I check her. Yes I still keep her on a check cord when we are out of her pen as she is still in training and the cord reinforces what she can and can't do and where she can go and where she can't
She even sticks her tongue out at me when I won't let her have her way.

:D   Al

• olcowhand, Alc, hamman and 10 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,600 Thanks
  • 38,985 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 07:33 AM

Good looking dog!

#3 Alc OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,278 Thanks
  • 6,482 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 07:49 AM

Can't show these pictures to my wife , too cute ,,, she'd be pestering for another dog  lol  

• trowel said thank you

#4 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

• Member No: 58852
  • 849 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 09:00 AM

I did not want a dog any longer after the last of my 4 died in July 2013.

My chip was 17 and had a stroke during the night couldn't move her rear legs so we had her put to sleep 2010

My Jewel was 11 and was badly abused when we got her from the pound and had seizures. Her last one in June of 2012 left her paralyzed except her head. We had her put down also. Almost to the day one month later my Bosco who was 12  started shooting blood from his right ear, I had a awful time getting it stopped and took him to the vet. He had a bad case of cancer so he also was put down. Daisy died in the night June 2013 at age 12. 

I found my self not going for walks or any thing else to control my blood sugar which was going UP.

Got my lily and started spending a lot of time with her and got the blood sugar under control and am again with a loving friend.

Never again till I am on my death bed will I be with out a friendly pup to keep me active.

:D   Al

• MH81, trowel and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,043 Thanks
  • 4,972 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 09:10 AM

Dogs are amazing creatures.  I had 2 great dogs growing up, and still have one great pup who is 7 years old now.  He has sezuires sometimes, but the vet said he is doing good and doesn't recommend putting him on meds.  He lives with my Mom and Dad and gets spoiled rotten!  With the 4 year old running around, and such with his medical problems he is much better off lounging around with my mom and dad than to be chased around the house by kids.  He is very happy where he is. 

I was talking to my mom last night and asked her how Duncan was doing, she said he is laying on the couch with all 4 paws up in the air sleeping away!  He just got done going for a walk, eating dinner, and eating some homemade dog treats she bakes for him special. 

Did I mention he is spoiled?

• trowel, oldedeeres and richwoodrocket have said thanks

#6 oldedeeres ONLINE  

• Member No: 14008
  • 5,514 Thanks
  • 3,067 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 10:23 AM

Our fur family has always been special for both of us, and in almost 46 years we haven't been without at least one dog for any longer than three days. If I hadn't had the three I have now I know I would have gone crazy since losing My Olde Deere. Your Lily looks like a going concern and is a beautiful pup. Congratulations for giving a pound pup a loving home.
  • MH81, trowel and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,741 Thanks
  • 2,721 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 04:10 PM

That is a really cute dog and looks mischievous also