Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Messing around with ideas for homemade sandblast cabinet.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 01, 2011 - 07:34 PM

I don't know if it would be worth building a homemade cabinet or not but it gave me a chance to play with google sketchup and design a cabinet. It really wouldn't seem to be too difficult to do plus with the sketches the sizes are all there and would make for easier building of the hopper. That and I wanted to share my progress so far on the design of it.

If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears. I am going to get all of the dimensions and make a materials list for it also.

Attached Thumbnails

• cabinet_bottom.jpg
  • top.jpg
  • side.jpg
  • sandblast cabinet.jpg
  • back.jpg

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 01, 2011 - 07:44 PM

I figured I would throw one up with colors on it.

Attached Thumbnails

• colored.jpg

#3 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted February 01, 2011 - 08:12 PM

Looks like a good plan, George.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 01, 2011 - 08:29 PM

I made another export with a person standing there scaled to the same height as me so I could see if the height and angles of the lid would work. Looks like it would be pretty close.

Attached Thumbnails

• with_person.jpg

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,325 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted February 01, 2011 - 08:54 PM

Needs Flames.

Just Kidding, looks really nice!
You want to build it for yourself. Your Height, your arm length. Might make the legs adjustable height so you can fine tune it instead of guessing. Also take a piece of cardboard & cut the arm holes in it as a trial & error... I think you'll be surprised how much playing you do before you have it comfy.

#6 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 01, 2011 - 10:35 PM

First...nice use of Sketch-Up. I love that program, but sometimes it drive me nuts.

Second...Nice plan. You should definitely build it. What were you thinking of for materials?

#7 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted February 05, 2011 - 05:00 PM

Nice looking plan. It's been so long since I've used a cabinet I can't think of much, but like Alan said, do a cardboard mockup first what looks good on screen(or paper) turns into a whole differant critter when it's full scale in front of you. Also, I would put air intakes near the windows so that the incoming clear air goes across the viewing area and light on it's way to the exhaust, you'd be surprized how quickly visability goes to zero, and paritcals that get close to the window will stick from static buildup. Speaking of exhaust, negative presure inside the cabinet, that means the fan needs to move more air out than your pumping in, I'm pretty sure daniel went into good detail about that in another post though.

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 05, 2011 - 05:13 PM

Negative pressure as Billy spoke of is a must for clearer vision, but not sure if I went into detail on that or not. Those plastic sheets you stick to the glass get all etched up awfully fast, so I stopped using them. My plexi screen is nearing the end of it's useful life, so I have a bunch of old windows I am going to cut new glass from and just replace whenever needed. As for height, by all means, set height to where you do not have to stoop in the slightest. It's amazing how just a slight bend in your back turns into burning pain in a VERY short time. To me, that means a steep angle on the view window and legs tall enough to simply look into the glass with no bending needed at all.

#9 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• Member No: 27
  • 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 07:58 PM

This site here has several members that built blast cabinets- www.garagejournal.com. They dont censor the language as much there, but the tech info on shop and garage stuff is amazing.
  • Alc and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 08:25 PM

Thanks , bookmarked it later use.

#11 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 13, 2011 - 05:51 AM

A sand blasting cabinet is a very handy tool.I don't have one yet but one of my customers that I do a lot of tractor restores for does,and he lets me use it any time I want.

#12 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 02:32 AM

George, I know this is going to be one of your next projects. I found this for you to do a little stuying on before you build yours.

Supercharge Your Blast Cabinet

Hope you enjoy this little read.

#13 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 03:33 AM

George, I have a couple recommendations. Once it is built block off the area it is located so that you can't possibly set anything in front or around it without working hard to do so. I know it sounds like obstacles to move around but it will beat tripping over stuff when you are sand blasting, or having to move things just to use it on a small project. Dad bought a Harbor Freight sand blast cabinet a few year ago, and we have used it mabey 5 times because we can't get to it most the time! Also, the other recommendation I have is a good one, make certain before you try it out that ALL seams are sealed with something durable, otherwise you could have beach front property to your sand blaster LOL.

#14 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 07:23 AM

George, I know this is going to be one of your next projects. I found this for you to do a little stuying on before you build yours.

Supercharge Your Blast Cabinet

Hope you enjoy this little read.

I agree the pot blaster would be a lot faster, I don't know if I like the idea of having to empty the cabinet and refill the pot all the time. Although now that I have enough air and as long as I keep good tips on the valve then it might last longer then I think it will before refills.

#15 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 07:24 AM

George, I have a couple recommendations. Once it is built block off the area it is located so that you can't possibly set anything in front or around it without working hard to do so. I know it sounds like obstacles to move around but it will beat tripping over stuff when you are sand blasting, or having to move things just to use it on a small project. Dad bought a Harbor Freight sand blast cabinet a few year ago, and we have used it mabey 5 times because we can't get to it most the time! Also, the other recommendation I have is a good one, make certain before you try it out that ALL seams are sealed with something durable, otherwise you could have beach front property to your sand blaster LOL.

Burrying the cabinet behind other stuff wouldn't be a good idea LOL. It is going to be almost right beside the air compressor so there will be less tendency to put stuff in front of it.