• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 electro813 OFFLINE  

electro813
  • Member No: 59971
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 05:41 PM

original problem i couldnt get the blade to turn off, without knowing that it was the spring idler. i bought a new blade engagement cable, while installing it i find this broken spring under there (spring idler) so i installed a new one.  to engage the handle lever to start the blade seemed to be really tough , i mowed the lawn a couple times and now i go to engage and the black plastic thing on end of engagement cable pops off the small knob on the lever. so i thought maybe the spring idler was too much so i removed that but i still couldnt keep the plastic thing on the knob it warped it.

i thought maybe it had something to do with a brake or arm clogged with grass or rusty or the belt, so i installed a new belt and lubricated all moving parts on the deck, still nothing, cant hardly straighten  the engagement cable with pliers with all my strength from up by the ignition area of mower.

for giggles i installed the lever housing upside down  and now the blade starts spinning but not real thoroughly, so i took vice grips attached it to the engagement wire with housing upside down and mowed the lawn that way  any ideas why when housing is installed properly i cant thorougly tighten the blade engagement cable

any help would be greatly appreciated,

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,311 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 05:47 PM

Sounds like something has to be bent or seized. Are you certain the cable is moving freely?

Oh, and :welcometogttalk:
  • electro813 said thank you

#3 electro813 OFFLINE  

electro813
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 08:33 PM

it seems to move freely when i have that housing upside down, tomorrow ill righten it and see if anythngs in the way, is it okay if the black wire that houses the actual metal wire curves a little? thanks for replying

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,311 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 09:51 PM

I was thinking about this. Is it possible the cable was a different length?

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 09:53 AM

On some decks there is an adjustment to adjust the tension on the engagement spring, usually a turn buckle affair.  If yours does have one it may be to tight.  Also do you have the cable routed correctly?  If you don't have a manual for your tractor you can go out to seardirect.com and put your model # in and on the second or third tab you can dl an owners manual for your tractor.  It should give you instructions any adjustments there are.

#6 electro813 OFFLINE  

electro813
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 10:57 AM

thanks for replying ill look into that

#7 electro813 OFFLINE  

electro813
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 05:01 PM

that was it the break arms musta been stuck'ish i super lubricated them , like 1/4 can of wd40 lol  and now it works, gonna leave spring idler off , leave well enough alone, thanks guys

• MH81 said thank you

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,311 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 09:55 PM

Do yourself a favor and now that you have it loosened up, put something that has oil in it on those pieces.  WD40 will not last long and you'l;l be back to where you were.