• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 stetson OFFLINE  

stetson
  • Member No: 59357
  • 46 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 08:54 AM

OK im new to garden tractors and dont quiet understand every thing just yet... got a few questions

1. is there a cultivator attachment for my bolens?

2. how does a sleeve hitch work if i buy a brinlys bottom plow from tsc can i make thatt work on my 1254 and my h14?

3. how are you guys laying off your rows? with a cultivator attachment or the plow?

#2 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 10:07 AM

For the plow and sleeve hitch here's a pic mounted on another tubeframe.

med_gallery_920_508_1328955842_2735.jpg

Tiller/cultivator hooks up on the same ears of the rearend as your sleeve hitch does. There is a driveshaft that runs under the tractor to the PTO that connects tiller to PTO.

m745k7.jpg

Circled is the lift linkage for the tiller.

It would be best to plow your rows first in virgin soil. If the ground has been worked before you may just till it.

Plowing will help find rocks and other buried stuff that can kill your tiller.

• tinbender7, boyscout862, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,751 Thanks
  • 7,523 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 10:13 AM

You are always welcome to ask questions here. Pictures can help clarify what you have. Another great resource we have is our Manuals Section. You can download three for free per day. If you become a Supporter there is no limit. You have started into a great hobby and you have two excellant tractors. Good Luck, Rick

There are brouchures too. They are alot of fun to look through and give you an idea of what to look for.

Edited by boyscout862, July 09, 2014 - 10:14 AM.

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

#4 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 10:24 AM

There are more attachments for the Bolens tube frames than you can shake a stick at.

For the ones you specified, you would first need a sleeve hitch.  It's basically a 1-pt hitch and there are a lot of implements that used it.

100_3995.jpg

The sleeve hitch for the tube frames would be the hardest piece to find, but they are out there.

There were a number of MFG. that made sleeve hitch implements, and they aren't all that hard to find.

Which implement you would want/need would depend a lot on the ground you are going to be working.

If it's virgin ground, then you would want to start with a moldboard plow.  If it's an existing garden then you could get by with a cultivator or a rototiller.

As for buying a plow at TSC, I'd recommend against it.  Used Brinly sleeve hitch plows are fairly easy to find at close a 1/3 of the price of a new one.

As for a sleeve hitch cultivator, the older ones are a lot more heavy duty than the new ones, and again, very cheap as compared to a new one.

No matter what you end up getting, I'd recommend using your H14 since it has the hydro lift.  Some of those attachments can be pretty heavy (especially the rototiller) and can be a chore to raise/lower with the "Armstrong Lift" that is on the gear driven tube frames.

Ideally you would want a plow, a tiller or disk, and a cultivator.

Edited by OldBuzzard, July 09, 2014 - 10:29 AM.

• tinbender7, boyscout862, sodisr and 2 others have said thanks

#5 stetson OFFLINE  

stetson
  • 46 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 10:29 AM

i appreciate it... i have the tiller attachement and have hooked it up to my h14 and it works great.... maybe im calling it wrong or explaining it wrong is there an attachment that i lay rows off with after i plow and till?? i live in tenn and if it aint red green or blue folks here aint got it so as far as i know im the first in my area to have one of these little tractors cause the man at the parts store has been in business 30 years and hasnt ever looked up a part for one he said or had no clue of them. i am very glad for pics and the forum cause id be lost.  i dont have the bottom plow but i plan on saving my pennys and buying a brinlys from tsc before fall so i can prep for next years garden my 1254 is in full rebuild right now and its getting stripped down this evenening and prepped for paint .....

also what are wheel weights for???

• tinbender7 and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#6 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 10:33 AM

Just exactly what do you mean by "Laying off rows"?

ETA:

Wheel weights are to give you added traction. Definitely a good thing when using ground engaging equipment.

Also filling the tires with fluid helps as well. I prefer Rim Guard for filling tires as it's heavier (11 lbs/gal) than the water based fluids like RV antifreeze, winter window washer fluid, etc. which is only 8 lbs/gal.

Edited by OldBuzzard, July 09, 2014 - 10:43 AM.

#7 stetson OFFLINE  

stetson
  • 46 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 11:02 AM

hey fluid in the tires i hadnt thought of good idea i like it..... laying off rows i mean getting ready to plant bigger tractors ive used you go down through there and take the attachment and cut rows so you can sow your seed bigger tractors will lay off 3 rows at a time but this year i done it with a string and a good old fashion hand hoe..... im thinking of next year it be nice to just ride and cut the planting row at the same time

#8 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 12:16 PM

hey fluid in the tires i hadnt thought of good idea i like it..... laying off rows i mean getting ready to plant bigger tractors ive used you go down through there and take the attachment and cut rows so you can sow your seed bigger tractors will lay off 3 rows at a time but this year i done it with a string and a good old fashion hand hoe..... im thinking of next year it be nice to just ride and cut the planting row at the same time

That would be your cultivator that uses steel tines with either shovel heads or sweeps. You can also attach hillers to it when doing taters and like kind of planting.

There should be a sleeve hitch style cultivator on the market, I'm sure.

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,751 Thanks
  • 7,523 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 12:23 PM

This shows abunch  http://gardentractor...-1971-brochure/

• TomLGT195 and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#10 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 12:23 PM

Found quickly this Agri-Fab for GT's that connect to the sleeve hitch.

d628947c-32cd-49d1-a399-5f02c576e490_400

Listed through Home Depot for $149.00

Good luck.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#11 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 08:46 PM

Looks like the guys gave you some options

Dont be afraid to ask questions, these are good machines if they are properly cared for and parts are still readily available.  Alot of the parts guys wont deal or know anything about this older equipment so if you run into problems with parts let me know :D

• sodisr said thank you