• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 breimer OFFLINE  

breimer
  • Member No: 39058
  • 119 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 10:13 PM

Ok maybe not posting in correct forum. This has nothing to do with garden tractors but it is about a 12 hp Kohler engine. It's a stationary type engine used on a grain auger. It does not have the common battery type ignition. Just the plain old magneto type with points. A friend asked me to check this engine. The complaint was no spark. He had replaced the points, condenser, spark plug as well as the ignition coil. Still no spark. So I checked his work making sure the points were set at the correct gap and that connections and wiring was ok. I didn't like the spark plug wire so I soldered a new one to the too short piece coming out of the new coil. Still no spark. Tried another new set of points. Now it started instantly, ran flawlessly for maybe 5 seconds. Stalled like you had flipped a switch. Back to no spark. Can someone suggest how to further diagnose?
  • New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#2 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 11:09 PM

Do you have any info on model number

I think the points are opened by a plunger or small rod on a kohler engine,maybe see if it is sticking and recheck any wiring

• Alc and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 05:00 AM

Sometimes new points have a coating of some kind on them and don't make a good connection. Always check a new set with an ohm meter to make sure they are a low resistance when closed. Also make sure the magneto coil frame is making a good connection to the engine chassis. That is what completes the circuit from the spark plug back to the coil.

• Alc, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and Bill 76 have said thanks

#4 breimer OFFLINE  

breimer
  • 119 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 08:46 AM

I don't have the model info handy but can get it. Yes it has that plunger. Visually appears fine while cranking the engine. Points open and close nicely. As to a film on the points, would I clean them ? Should I file them?

#5 breimer OFFLINE  

breimer
  • 119 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 08:50 AM

I had something similar years ago on a v8 truck engine. Apparently a defective condenser destroyed a new set of points in a very short while. Makes no sense to me tho. Is that what could have happened here?
  • Alc said thank you

#6 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 01:57 PM

I don't have the model info handy but can get it. Yes it has that plunger. Visually appears fine while cranking the engine. Points open and close nicely. As to a film on the points, would I clean them ? Should I file them?

If the points are new don't file them,for cleaning them I use electronic cleaner made by CRC spray it on and drag a piece of heavy paper between them until the paper comes out clean,you could probabley use mek,acetone ect.

#7 VintageIronCollector ONLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,275 Thanks
  • 1,770 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 02:07 PM

If the points are new don't file them,for cleaning them I use electronic cleaner made by CRC spray it on and drag a piece of heavy paper between them until the paper comes out clean,you could probabley use mek,acetone ect.

I agree.

#8 breimer OFFLINE  

breimer
  • 119 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 09:09 PM

I'll try that.. mightn not be before the weekend tho. Thanks.

#9 breimer OFFLINE  

breimer
  • 119 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 09:30 PM

Ive cleaned the points with electric contact cleaner and I tested them with an ohm meter. They seem to be working fine.  Still no spark. Is there a proper way to test the condenser? I have a resistance of 1.3 ohms across it. Not sure if thats normal.

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 11:51 PM

Is the condenser out of the machine? That's the best way to test with an ohm meter. A cap checker would be a better choice, but not many own one.

Check for continuity, should have a little, then read open (infinity)... Reverse polarity and try again with a slightly longer continuity time, then open.
The difference might not be noticeable on a digital meter.

At a constant 1.3, it should be bad, replace it. They are still inexpensive and it eliminates an issue quickly.

#11 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 03:13 AM

:ditto: If the condser is out of the engine,1.3 ohms don't seem good