KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 03:22 PM

Dubois County 4-H fair grounds.

Saturday July 12th

DEMOLITION DERBY at 6:00 PM EASTERN GRAND STAND, GEN. ADMISS. $10

This is a really exciting thing to watch!

• tinbender7, farmerall and A.C.T. have said thanks

#2 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 03:35 PM

It sounds horrible! I hope they don't use any classics
  • tinbender7 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 03:58 PM

This is a joke right?

• tinbender7 said thank you

#4 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,640 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 04:00 PM

Hope the rules state nothing over 10 years old

• tinbender7 and Nato77 have said thanks

#5 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 04:21 PM

Rules vary but an example;

Lawnmower Rules

1. Mower must be a factory available lawnmower or garden mower.(No homemade frames)
2. No rear-end lawnmowers allowed.
3, Engine must be a factory lawnmower engine example: Briggs and Stratton, Tecumseh, Onan, or etc (22hp max)
4. All modification and frame reinforcing will be allowed. Front end of mower cannot be lower than 6".No Slopes allowed
5. Transaxles must be factory mower transaxles, but any reinforcements and or welding of spider gears is allowed.
6. Engine bay reinforcement is allowed but must be inside of hood and must maintain factory body lines. Front of mower can 18" past front. Motor has to be covered.
7.All mowers must have the hood either screwed or welded down to dash panel around drivers area.All mower must have an 8x8 hole in case of fire.
8. Mower must have working breaks, forwards and reverse gears at the start of derby.
9. Gas tank must be secured and have a cap on it.(If any gas is found to be leaking you will be asked to shut the mower down) No rear gas tanks or any underneath seat.
10.Leg guards are mandatory and must be bolted or welded from rear fender to front of foot rest or frame.
11.A rear bumper is allowed, but is not allowed to extend more than 4" out and it must stay in between tires. Also no spikes or sharp edges or any protrusions allowed. Bumper can be homemade with I/H beam or square tubing bumper must be 6”of ground
12. Re-gearing and changing of pulleys is allowed to increase speed and it is encouraged.
13. Any and all drive train modification is allowed but must stay belt driven
14. All mowers must use lawnmower type wheels. Tractor treads and cut tires will be allowed but no tire chains or duel wheels
15. Mower deck must be removed
16. All headlights and any other glass or plastic must be removed before you enter the fairgrounds
17. Batteries must be removed from mower and only used to jump start the mower before the derby begins. If a pull start is used driver will not be allowed to restart engine during derby
18. You can build up the front of the frame and underneath the grill to hit with. The front of the mower must be a smooth finish for safety 4”x4” tubing bumper inside of wheels
19. If at any time the drivers hands or feet touch the ground to stop them self from rolling over you will be disqualified
20. Mower must have a kill switch
21. Everything must be inside the tires except 2”overhang on side of rear tires. Front and back tires must be open

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 04:36 PM

Not my thing at all!!! Sounds pretty dangerous with all the strengthening and reinforcement allowed. 

• Nato77 said thank you

#7 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,626 Thanks
  • 7,669 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 04:52 PM

What keeps you from getting your leg crushed???

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#8 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 05:06 PM

I'm trying to think what actually would quality from the factory with all those rules?

I bet it is a big pile of Cub Cadets beating up the John Deere mowers.

Ben W.

• HANKG, Sawdust and petrj6 have said thanks

#9 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 05:10 PM

Great.... another way to destroy vintage equipment! With the scrappers taking a fair amount of them already this just adds to the depletion of tractors left!

• MH81 said thank you

#10 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,626 Thanks
  • 7,669 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 05:27 PM

I bet it is a big pile of Cub Cadets beating up the John Deere mowers.

Ben W.

Could be Murreys and MTDs Not so bad!

• pharmer, boyscout862 and Bill 76 have said thanks

#11 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 06:24 PM

Great.... another way to destroy vintage equipment! With the scrappers taking a fair amount of them already this just adds to the depletion of tractors left!

It's their tractor to do what they want with and will eventually make ours more valuable.

I've seen some Youtube vids of these demo derbys and most people use newer lawn tractors. They also vary a lot, some are heavily modded purpose built machines and others are very close to stock.

#12 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 06:48 PM

It sounds horrible! I hope they don't use any classics

Been watching this for 3-4 years now and have never seen a "classic" being used/damaged.

At the risk of upsetting some on GTT, they usually use Murreys, Craftsmans, and the like.

Last year I did see a JD in the mix. Once some fellows had what looked like a Kabota GT in the ring. As it turns out, the mechanics at a Kabota dealer just painted and added decals to LOOK like a Kabota.

• MH81 said thank you

#13 Nato77 ONLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,637 Thanks
  • 1,330 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 07:22 PM

Rules vary but an example;

Lawnmower Rules

1. Mower must be a factory available lawnmower or garden mower.(No homemade frames)
2. No rear-end lawnmowers allowed.
3, Engine must be a factory lawnmower engine example: Briggs and Stratton, Tecumseh, Onan, or etc (22hp max)
4. All modification and frame reinforcing will be allowed. Front end of mower cannot be lower than 6".No Slopes allowed
5. Transaxles must be factory mower transaxles, but any reinforcements and or welding of spider gears is allowed.
6. Engine bay reinforcement is allowed but must be inside of hood and must maintain factory body lines. Front of mower can 18" past front. Motor has to be covered.
7.All mowers must have the hood either screwed or welded down to dash panel around drivers area.All mower must have an 8x8 hole in case of fire.
8. Mower must have working breaks, forwards and reverse gears at the start of derby.
9. Gas tank must be secured and have a cap on it.(If any gas is found to be leaking you will be asked to shut the mower down) No rear gas tanks or any underneath seat.
10.Leg guards are mandatory and must be bolted or welded from rear fender to front of foot rest or frame.
11.A rear bumper is allowed, but is not allowed to extend more than 4" out and it must stay in between tires. Also no spikes or sharp edges or any protrusions allowed. Bumper can be homemade with I/H beam or square tubing bumper must be 6”of ground
12. Re-gearing and changing of pulleys is allowed to increase speed and it is encouraged.
13. Any and all drive train modification is allowed but must stay belt driven
14. All mowers must use lawnmower type wheels. Tractor treads and cut tires will be allowed but no tire chains or duel wheels
15. Mower deck must be removed
16. All headlights and any other glass or plastic must be removed before you enter the fairgrounds
17. Batteries must be removed from mower and only used to jump start the mower before the derby begins. If a pull start is used driver will not be allowed to restart engine during derby
18. You can build up the front of the frame and underneath the grill to hit with. The front of the mower must be a smooth finish for safety 4”x4” tubing bumper inside of wheels
19. If at any time the drivers hands or feet touch the ground to stop them self from rolling over you will be disqualified
20. Mower must have a kill switch
21. Everything must be inside the tires except 2”overhang on side of rear tires. Front and back tires must be open

I would say those are more guidelines than rules. I've been doing derbies (cars and trucks) for many years and with what is stated above you can build a tank and will basically end up hurting someone bad because not everyone will build the same way. I have a few "box store" LTs laying around and if I was to build one to those rules I guaranty they wouldn't let me run it.
All I have to say is they better have an ambulance there and ready!

Lawn mower racing would be more entertaining to watch.
  • A.C.T., icecream4070 and Bill 76 have said thanks

#14 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 08:49 PM

Id love to do this i got and junk mtd cub cadet that i would soup up

Edited by superspeedex, July 08, 2014 - 09:01 PM.

#15 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 08:55 PM

Yikes!

After watching that video I keep thinking about all the possible broken / crushed body parts and possible back injury's!

This is just pure insanity! 

• superspeedex said thank you