Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Fawn In Distress Call Works On Does, Should For Coyotes Too.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 07:14 AM

Walking the pup last evening in the vacant field, We get to the back fence and make the turn to go along the creek. All of a sudden Coyotes let go with the howling across the creek and up the hill. They are in my woods in the north east corner.
Hustle the pup back to her pen. go in the house grab the swift and two mouth calls, tell wife I think we lost a fawn to the coyotes and I'll be back late so eat supper without me. I go all the way back and get in a deer blind, leave the door open so I can watch out it as well as the windows. I start calling with a fawn in distress call. About 5 minutes a does comes out of the heavy brush at a trot. She circles the deer blind and finally goes over the hill crosses the creek going to the field where I had been with the pup. I start the fawn in trouble calling again. About 10 minutes another doe comes running flat out thru the brush. I grab the rifle as I just know a coyote is on her heels. she circles the deer blind twice and again goes over the hill to the field. Decided to try the fawn call one more time. A third doe comes from a completely different area sees me move in the blind grabbing the rifle. She snorts and takes off at a dead run for the field. I wait about 10 minutes and use the rabbit squealer call. So I was back there for about 50 minutes total and never seen a coyote.
That's about 30 minutes longer than we normally do a set. I figure they had gotten a fawn and were not hunger any longer. Going to call the neighbor behind me today and see about doing some sets in their woods about 120 acres. I have got permission from them a long time ago but I just like to ask in case they are planning some thing back there.

They do a young group of church kids there at least once a summer along the creek.

:D   Al

• MH81, hamman, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#2 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 07:53 AM

Did you try the 'church kid distress call?'   "Moooom! I'm hungryyyyy!!!  (Whine!)

• JDBrian and T Guiles have said thanks

#3 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 10:31 AM

We had a lot of luck in the fall hunting gray's, we would clean them in the field and the smell would bring them in like crazy. my little .22 mag savage took 6 in one season..... we also use a wood pecker distress  call and had some luck with that, good luck

#4 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 12:33 AM

The fawn in distress should be the ticket this time if year. Unfortunately as you mentioned they were most likely gorging themselves on a fresh kill.

Their smart buggers, those yotes. Kill them all, bring them to the brink of instinct.

The only good yote, is a dead yote :thumbs:

• GTTinkerer said thank you

#5 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 06:34 AM

I have never used a fawn in distress this late in the year. We normally stop using them in late April early May Because we are not wanting the does over running us.

We hunt coyotes hard from the first of the new year till spring farming, bees and such takes up our time. There are 5 of us that are pretty steady. We have gotten to the point that we get calls from farmers and others to hunt coyotes on their property.

We use home built E Callers mostly with all kinds of sounds we put on our MP3 players from Varmint Al's web site or wind rivers site.

100116_hunting_0910.jpg

100116_hunting_0909.jpg

My favorite rifle is a Ruger 77-220 Swift. when it isn't to windy. In the wind I use a Remington 700 in 243.

gunstuff_031714_1717_zps784a49ae.jpg

Mouth calls are a howler, squealer, and a rabbit in distress call. I added a fawn in distress call last winter.

Edited by alleyyooper, July 09, 2014 - 06:36 AM.

• LilysDad said thank you

#6 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 06:42 AM

Where can I get instructions for that E Caller?

#7 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 08:04 AM

I did a quick short write up on it here.

http://thunderbucks....opic,125.0.html

this link takes you to the site where I got all my information. Includes a list of all parts from Radio shack and speaker sources. There is wiring diagrams and ideas on have a remote control caller. this thread is almost 10 years old and 7 pages long with the last post made July 1st 2012.

It really is a good read for information.

http://www.nodakoutd...hp?f=11&t=20626

I use a Sansa MP3 player to hold the sounds I found it the easiest to load sounds to from Windows media player.