Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

How Many International Flights Are In The Air At Any One Time?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 06:55 AM

• EricFromPa, Lmiller3358, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#2 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,334 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 08:53 AM

Still trying to figure how many licks to the center of a Tootsie Pop myself !!!

• superaben, T Guiles and Bill 76 have said thanks

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 10:04 AM

It's pretty busy up there. I always wonder how much of the business travel is really necessary. If it wasn't practical to fly what would we do instead! It could happen if fuel costs continue to increase.

• EricFromPa said thank you

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 11:47 AM

It's pretty busy up there. I always wonder how much of the business travel is really necessary. If it wasn't practical to fly what would we do instead! It could happen if fuel costs continue to increase.

That is a good question Brian. In my last job I worked in a telecommunications center talking to customers all over the country
We grew by leaps and bounds as fuel prices skyrocketed and especially in the western states a travelling sales person could spend hours traveling between contacts. And we had atrained sales staff available 12 hrs a day But with the advent of the internet and our customers doing more and more of their purchasing through our internet website and the computer worked 24 hrs a day 7 days a week. after 28 yrs I was laid off due to the work reduction. My suspicion is in another 20 yrs there will be very little face to face contact in the business world and little need for business travel.
  • EricFromPa, JDBrian and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 04:09 PM

Here check this out.

http://www.flightrad.../51.32,-55.38/3

It's a Live feed from FAA radar and tracking stations.

Found this a couple years ago and it Still amazes me how many planes are actually up there at any given time.

The more you scroll in the more planes there are and you can click on them and track them and see what make and model the planes are.Warning! You could stare at this for hours on end. :rolling:

Untitled123.jpg

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner, superaben and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 04:57 PM

That is a good question Brian. In my last job I worked in a telecommunications center talking to customers all over the country
We grew by leaps and bounds as fuel prices skyrocketed and especially in the western states a travelling sales person could spend hours traveling between contacts. And we had atrained sales staff available 12 hrs a day But with the advent of the internet and our customers doing more and more of their purchasing through our internet website and the computer worked 24 hrs a day 7 days a week. after 28 yrs I was laid off due to the work reduction. My suspicion is in another 20 yrs there will be very little face to face contact in the business world and little need for business travel.

I think a higher percentage of flights are for pleasure now than in the past. Cheaper flights mean folks can afford to travel more.  Compared to in the 60s I think air fair must be much lower now when corrected for inflation. 

• EricFromPa said thank you

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 05:53 PM

Here check this out.

http://www.flightrad.../51.32,-55.38/3

It's a Live feed from FAA radar and tracking stations.

Found this a couple years ago and it Still amazes me how many planes are actually up there at any given time.

The more you scroll in the more planes there are and you can click on them and track them and see what make and model the planes are.Warning! You could stare at this for hours on end. :rolling:

attachicon.gifUntitled123.jpg

Now that is addictive. 

Hey!  What was that plane that flew overhead!  Lets go see!

It also spoils the poetry of "Ben looked up in the bright blue sky, and saw a plane soaring through the atmosphere.  The plume behind it looked like a feather boa of white.  As Ben watched it pass overhead, he wondered where it came from, and where it was bound...."

Ben W.

• EricFromPa and LilysDad have said thanks

#8 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 07:07 PM

I don't know why but this thread reminded me of how empty the sky was on the evening of 9/11 when no flights were up.
  • EricFromPa and shorty have said thanks

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 07:25 PM

I don't know why but this thread reminded me of how empty the sky was on the evening of 9/11 when no flights were up.

That was eerie to say the least.  And it lasted a couple days at least as well.

• EricFromPa and shorty have said thanks

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 09:18 PM

as you ponder this issue I have another. Just the other night after there were 3 tornados sighted over town.(none touched down in town btw).
The sky had cleared and I watched a plane fly through the bottom of the big dipper. Makes me wonder just how high they fly and why has no one fixed the hole in the dipper? As a kid I remember buckets of water and dippers and you get wet drinking from a leaky dipper.