6 replies to this topic

#1 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 01, 2011 - 10:14 AM

I've been running my 420 at full throttle whenever I use it. My thinking is that's what the hydraulic pump is meant to work at, and since it's running the drive and the FEL, it's easier on the pump.

My BIL, whose tractor experience is pretty much limited to watching me drive mine, says that I should be running it somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle unless I'm mowing and need the blade speed.

Who's right?

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted February 01, 2011 - 10:20 AM

Depends. I run my Massey w/FEL about 1/2 to 3/4 speed though.....uses much less fuel. But in hot weather, they say it's easier on the engine to run closer to full rpm's to increase cooling air speed. Seems like 3/4 speed would be plenty, as it seems higher rpm's would create even more heat to have to dissipate. 3/4 rpm's create plenty cooling air volume I believe.
  • Reverend Blair said thank you

#3 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 01, 2011 - 10:27 AM

Hmmm...I'm all for saving fuel. Heat isn't really a problem this time of year either...it hasn't gotten above freezing since I bought the tractor.

#4 murphy OFFLINE  

murphy

• Member No: 420
  • 2 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted February 01, 2011 - 12:37 PM

I would think it as are you lugging the engine at lower rpm? If lugging at lower rpm that is hard on engine. No load on engine and running high rpm, not real great either.

#5 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 01, 2011 - 01:10 PM

I never lug the engine, Murphy, because I've been keeping the revs up. I would assume that lugging the engine would be a sign to increase the throttle anyway though. I also don't run full out if I'm not working it...if it's not working, it's not running.

#6 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted February 01, 2011 - 03:17 PM

I run about 1/2 too 3/4 throttle blowing snow,cutting grass,tilling,.Using the loader it's probabbly under 1/2 throttle.Going down the road well thats full throttle[making the dust fly] I've done this for as long as I can remeber and haven't ever had any problems.Of course I'am not heavy footed either meaning I don't push my stuff to the point that it starts lugging down either.If it's tough going then it's light on the foot hydro pedal.Larry

#7 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 01, 2011 - 03:40 PM

I'm going to have to cut back on throttle for sure then. No point in revving the heck out of it if you don't have to.