• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 17, 2011 - 11:13 AM

I sharpen mine every 8hrs.

Do you seriously sharpen them every 8 hours? I am sure it helps keep the grass looking nice but that is a lot of sharpening. How long do your blades last?

#17 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 17, 2011 - 04:55 PM

I'm lucky if I get the time to do it once a season! I realize it should be more often, but who has the time?

#18 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 477 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted February 17, 2011 - 04:57 PM

Yes I really sharpen every 8 hrs. If the get a big nick I weld it up. I us a hand grinder, and then I use a file to make it sharp. I often joke that I could shave with my mower blades. I have a small mowing business and I always want those properties to look there best. I found that if sharpen more often the blades will last longer. Josh

#19 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted February 17, 2011 - 08:26 PM

Every eight hours? Do you get up in the middle of the night too? Hahhaaa.. I am assuming you meant 8 hours of use.

#20 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted February 17, 2011 - 08:40 PM

Yes I really sharpen every 8 hrs. If the get a big nick I weld it up. I us a hand grinder, and then I use a file to make it sharp. I often joke that I could shave with my mower blades. I have a small mowing business and I always want those properties to look there best. I found that if sharpen more often the blades will last longer. Josh

Never thought about welding the big nicks , would a 7018 Hardface rod be the best and just run a bead along the edge ?

#21 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 477 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted February 17, 2011 - 09:28 PM

I just fill in the nicks with a mig welder. It also would depend on the type of metal the blade is made out of. My blades on jd 2320 our pretty soft materal.

#22 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,415 Thanks
  • 2,118 posts

Posted February 17, 2011 - 10:13 PM

Never really thought about it just when the cut doen't look good then i will sharpen them.

#23 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted February 18, 2011 - 12:53 AM

Never thought about welding the big nicks , would a 7018 Hardface rod be the best and just run a bead along the edge ?

I just fill in the nicks with a mig welder. It also would depend on the type of metal the blade is made out of. My blades on jd 2320 our pretty soft materal.

er 7018 is far from being a hardface rod. The 70 is for 70,000 psi tensile strength, common MIG wire is 70s3 or 70s6 and is the same spec. filler material.

Tensile strength for the steels most are familiar with, range from 60,000 for cold roll mild steel to 95,000 for 4140 that you might find used for some heavy equipment components. Or a grade 8 bolt that's rated for 150,000 psi.

Thanks josh, good to hear someone else agree that they last longer if you keep up with them.

#24 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted February 18, 2011 - 08:31 AM

Thanks for the info on the migwire vs E71018 , What would the hardfacing rod that NAPA sells be called ? Al

#25 akretowicz OFFLINE  

akretowicz

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2090
  • 148 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted February 20, 2011 - 05:34 PM

I was curious to see how often everyone else sharpens their mower blades during the mowing season. I seem to usually be able to get away with only once a year as long as I don't hit anything LOL. I have been debating doing it twice a year but I haven't decided yet or not.

I always sharpen my blades myself and have never had a problem doing so. I would like to write a little how to on doing it yourself but haven't had time to do it yet.

Exactly! As long as i don't hit anything bad, only once per year for me.