#1 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,052 Thanks
  • 2,166 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 10:13 AM

I was able to make a short run to retrieve a very nice tractor yesterday, and was thrilled with the time spend with the sellers...great folks, in a beautiful home sitting on a 40 acre hilltop.

I always love watching one follow me home!

The good part...the story!  An elderly gentleman and his wife approached me a week ago, at a local show.  I had another very nice original 1964 Landlord there on display.  They told me all about how they had an identical old tractor, and lived just up the road.  They were not versed in the brand, or GT's in general, and I had my doubts about what their Simplicity was, or looked like.  Peter, the owner, said he bought it new, and last used it in the early '90's, when they moved into their current house.  He claimed to have stored it in the basement, where it still was.  He said he listed it for $900 last year, and never had a response. 

I politely let Peter know that I didn't generally collect more than one of each model (my current '64 was so nice, I thought I would never fine one in better shape).  I also chatted with he and his wife a while, showing them the options and accessories that would add or detract from the value of his tractor.  He was very understanding that his price was frankly, out of this world for the average Landlord, and that it would need to be exceptional to get remotely close that that kind of price.  He insisted that it was.

I provided him information he could look up online, gave him my info in case he wanted help finding it a new home, and even introduced him to another Simplicity collector at the show in hopes they may cut a deal.  We parted as newfound friends, and I kinda expected to see that Landlord pop back up on craigslist the following week.  Instead, I received an email the following day, indicating he and his wife very much wanted their tractor to join my collection.  It took a few days before they were able to email a picture, and when they did, I knew I would be adopting vs fostering this machine :smilewink:

Here are those 'basement' pictures he sent. 

And, so, I brought home this 1964 Simplicity Landlord yesterday.  It's quite possibly the cleanest original finish I have ever seen with my own eyes, on one of these tractors.  I have a prestine factory seat and steeringwheel to get this old girl setup the way I like them.  I'll be shopping for a rear lift bracket with a nice OEM finish, as the few extras I have here are too rusty/crusty for this machine to wear. 

He threw in a new, unopened carb, new battery, paperwork and a small bag with receipt dated '88, containing two NOS headlight mounts for B-1/700 tractors.  He gave me a call this morning as well, saying he found more 'parts' and paperwork.  I may take my wife for a drive to visit and see what else he has :thumbs:

I mowed grass with it last nite, but with rain coming in fast, didn't have time for any glamour shots of it striping the lawn.  I mean to take some and send them to Peter and his wife, reassuing them that their tractor has found a good home.  I'll have to sell my other '64 to recoup funds, and told them anything beyond my purchase price of their old tractor, would be coming back, their way!

Interesting homemade hitch design.  Works real well, and is easily removeable.

• daytime dave, Gtractor, Alc and 11 others have said thanks

#2 hamman OFFLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,528 Thanks
  • 2,552 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 10:49 AM

WOW! nice find and rescue. That's one of the nicest original that I have seen. I have an extra lift bracket but it is certainly not new. It is black and looks to be fairly straight. I can get a picture of it later after my camera gets back if you want?   Thanks for sharing. Neat story as well.                                           Roger.

• Talntedmrgreen and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,052 Thanks
  • 2,166 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 01:00 PM

I really get a kick out of wondering just what kind of place I'm heading to, to pick up a tractor.  This joint was fantastic.  The drive was about 500-600 yards long, landscaped the whole way, with 2 wooden bridges to cross on the way.  The house was up a hill, surrounded by 40 acres they saved of their old farm that they sold off...so, their only neighbor is the farmer, in their old home. 

The house looked pretty modest, but had the drive-in basement, accessible down the hill from the rear/SE.  Wrap around porch facing SW, and downhill overlooking a manmade pond that had to be the size of a football field.  There were a couple outbuildings, and the one we retrieved the tractor from yesterday was about 30x40, temp controlled with a tile floor.  In there was a collection of His & Hers Audi and VW cars...all were foreign sports models I was told, and purchased overseas.  He explained how they had special carburators for Alpine altitude adjustments, etc...really, really neat.  They show cars (previously howed horses, so the decor reflects both hobbies). 

They mentioned also having had an Allis B-10 of the same vintage as this Simplicity.  They sold it cheap to the 'old folks home' in town, last year, as someone they knew was in need of a mower there.  I was told it was the 'nicer of the two'!  Their new 'mower' was a 10 year old New Holland 30hp diesel AG tractor, with cab, 7' brushhog and FEL.  The Mrs is now the keeper of the lawn and drive, as Peter beat prostate cancer just last year. 

It's amazing to me, that I've met folks like them simply over an old garden tractor.  They really were thrilled to have the company and I was thrilled to hear their story.  We could have chatted all day.  I was even invited to return to learn to fly fish, as their creek is a Michigan Blue Ribbon Trout Stream!

• MH81, Alc, hamman and 2 others have said thanks

#4 hamman OFFLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,528 Thanks
  • 2,552 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 01:25 PM

Sometimes it's just about one person that you meet that can make a didderence in a life. Maybe yours or maybe theirs. Sound like good people. Glad you made friends and I am sure they are as well.  Sounds like a great couple. Glad he beat the PC. On year 4 for me. Thanks for the insight and story.           Roger.

• TomLGT195 and Sawdust have said thanks

#5 classic OFFLINE  

• Member No: 52970
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 1,584 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 04:35 PM

WOW! That's in beautiful shape! It's always great to meet good folks and to have a story to tell like that. I really like the look of the 64's and especially one in nice original paint.

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,677 Thanks
  • 4,224 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 06:24 PM

That has to be the best looking original 50 year old GT I have seen!

#7 sacsr OFFLINE  

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,253 Thanks
  • 3,279 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 06:41 PM

Awesome find! I agree the 64 is one of my favorite Landlord years. Congrats!

#8 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,149 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 08:47 PM

You were right, Nice Story from start to finish...welll it may not be finished...yet. all I can say about the Landlord is; WOW and congrats!!!!   :thumbs:  

#9 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 08:56 PM

Wow... that is a beautiful tractor!  I'd buy that one ANY day! 

That thing probably looked about the same in 1964.

Look at the shine on those hubcaps... oh wow....just wow...

Ben W.

#10 MH81 OFFLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,721 Thanks
  • 28,356 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 09:52 PM

Phenomenally well kept machine. I wonder how they kept it that nice while using it.
Makes me want to send them a thank you note.

#11 Bill56 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 09:45 PM

Congratulations! Sounds like you met some wonderful folks. The condition of that tractor is just amazing!!!!

#12 B10Dave OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1808
  • 386 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 10:30 PM

That one is really a sweetheart Josh. Nice find....Dave

#13 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 6,332 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 10:46 PM

Wow, great story and great looking landlord.

#14 Alc OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,293 Thanks
  • 6,498 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 05:32 AM

What a fantastic machine !!!!   It just amazes me to think that a piece of equipment could be kept in such great shape for 50 years  

#15 Sawdust OFFLINE  

• Member No: 36549
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 2,827 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 07:19 AM

That's an awesome GT & what a great story to go with it. I'm viewing this on my phone can't wait to see it when I get home. This deal was special for them too I'm sure. I love the pic in the mirror, it looks like it's happy too. By the way that's a carpenters hitch. :)

Edited by Sawdust, July 10, 2014 - 07:22 AM.