Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 08:59 AM

I'm often approached by folks, especially through Craigslist or at tractor shows, who are looking to find a home for their old garden tractor.  9 times out of 10, it is something like or similar to, a machine I have pictured in an ad (want or for sale), or am exhibiting at a show.  I used to be drawn to adopt such tractors, but recently, I 'foster' them :thumbs:

Do others find this to be common?  I'm assuming so...folks can spot us tractor nuts a mile away.

Personally, I love the interaction.  It's fun to chat with folks, hear their stories, and perhaps even see their equipment, homestead, family, etc.  More often than not, I am simply not in a position to take on another project, or they don't have quite what I'm looking for.  My approach in those scenarios is to always offer my help in finding a good home or use for what they have, and to get them a fair market value while still counseling them on a realistic price for old garden tractors.  I get in touch with the usual suspects, who are always searching, like myself, for machines and parts.

Many times, I have eventually purchased what they have, and then resell, passing along any 'profit' above what I paid them initially.  I think I make a great Foster Father.  It's a fun way to build a little goodwill, I suppose.  I get to meet the next owner as well, and grow my network of local collectors....that always pays dividends!

Occassionally, I am approached by someone, then suprised by what they have.  Most folks tend to exagerate their stuff.  But sometimes, they downplay it quite a bit.  Those times tug at my heartstrings, and given a unique or super clean machine, along with a story of when they bought it, how they used it, etc, I just have to adopt it, and make room for it to remain in my collection.

I thought it would be neat to hear some of your stories of such interactions, or how you tend to handle these situations.  Do you keep them all, do you pass on them, or do you bring them home, to find them a more permanent residence?

• hamman, boyscout862, gtcsreg and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 09:09 AM

I totally understand what your talking about!

Seems like if you have been in the game for years you no longer need to look for tractors as they will find you!

I have turned down quite a few machines since they were already models I had or had no interest in, I even get offered some machines for free but with limited space and no more room for doubles I often turn them down, sure I could turn into a scrapper and part them but I don't have the heart to part a complete machine so I leave them be for someone else.

Edited by Bolens 1000, July 07, 2014 - 09:15 AM.

• hamman said thank you

#3 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 09:15 AM

I have run into the same thing a some of the tractor shows and I try to help find a new home for the item.

My most rewarding case was a Lennox Kitty Track crawler that I ended up buying and then selling  to Jerome ( aka: wilberj ).

He did a fantastic job in restoring it.  

This is what it looked like when I picked it up.

bth_1-1.jpg

This is after Jerome's restoration.

bth_4-2.jpg

Edited by jdcrawler, July 11, 2014 - 09:07 AM.

• Bolens 1000, wilberj, hamman and 4 others have said thanks

#4 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,909 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 09:26 AM

I've been bitten by the bug and have a insatiable need to bring home more tractors than I have room for. My tastes vary and I'm always  looking for something rare to buy. Right now I'm trying to purchase a gemco big boy never saw one of these before , but the seller has dropped the ball on me, sent me pictures of it I agreed to buy it and never heard from him again. Its still on craigslist frustrating.

• hamman, sacsr and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 10:17 AM

I've been bitten by the bug and have a insatiable need to bring home more tractors than I have room for. My tastes vary and I'm always  looking for something rare to buy. Right now I'm trying to purchase a gemco big boy never saw one of these before , but the seller has dropped the ball on me, sent me pictures of it I agreed to buy it and never heard from him again. Its still on craigslist frustrating.

I'm waiting patiently in a Big Boy myself.  I came into an Allis B-207 last year under similar circumstances, met a fella who was looking for an AC collector for his machine.  When I visited to pick it up, I spent hours there, and got a real good look at the Big Boy he was working on.  I just saw it a week ago at our local show, all purdy'd up!  I let him know where it's next home should be!

I have run into the same thing a some of the tractor shows and I try to help find a new home for the item.

My most rewarding case was a Lenox Kitty Kat crawler that I ended up buying and then selling  to Jerome ( aka: wilberj ).

He did a fantastic job in restoring it.  

This is what it looked like when I picked it up.

attachicon.gifbth_1-1.jpg

This is after Jerome's restoration.

attachicon.gifbth_4-2.jpg

That's a Foster story!  Worked out real nice for all three of ya!

• jdcrawler and hamman have said thanks

#6 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 10:59 AM

I just can't really come to part with them after I get them. The only one I did was the 7014 S that I gave to my BIL with the snow blade and rear tiller. No second thoughts there but just can't get rid of the rest. I get to attached to them. I have 8 now and expect one more that probably will not leave (in my lifetime anyway). I have tried to sell a couple but even with a rediculously low price I'm told I want to much. I have a an old Sears 8hp LT that my brother bought second hand back i the mid 70s and I got it from him in the 80s. I used it to mow two acres at our first home and then here on about an acre +. I had tput a new motor on it and when I got my Dads Homelite I wanted to sell it for $ 25.00 with a two year old motor and it just sat there. A lot of people looked at it but just laughed when I ask $25 for it. It might not be pretty but it was running and mowing. So it sets in the back by the shed covered waiting for me to pull it out and start it again.  After that I said I might as well keep them all use them my self.   Thanks. I like hearing about all your stories.                                                                    Roger.

• TomLGT195 and HANKG have said thanks

#7 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 11:10 AM

Ive had my '57 RaM since the '80s but I just started buying/selling on kijiji about two years ago but already getting to know a few collector type ppl that have sent some good deals my way.... and met ppl that I expect will become long time friends, its becoming a large enjoyable part of the hobby for me.... and I often just pass on the deals to the next owner with just enough markup to cover fuel costs.... or tell them to bring whiskey;)

Recently a guy 20km from me called to say he had two GTs for cheap... when I went to pick them up he was eyeing over my homebuilt utility/quad trailer and offered an even trade for a 12' tandem axle horse trailer... and its in fairly decent roadworthy condition so I was quick to agree to that deal, and he's happy he gets a nice looking small trailer for his quad.... never know what you'll find when you get out meeting the locals;)
  • hamman and HANKG have said thanks

#8 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 06:33 PM

I read somewhere that after a few years of collecting, the GT's would soon start finding me!

Today was a fine example.....I was at the local gas station/convenience store and the owner told me to see his son in the garage area as he had a friend that has a Wheel Horse he wants to get rid of. Of course I got the number and called the guy to let him know my interest.

Well, while I was still at the gas station, another fellow comes in and said he had bought a Wheel Horse from his cousin....He didn't have any idea what model it was, but he asked me to work on it, and in turn, give me a bunch of extra WH parts.

• hamman and sacsr have said thanks