sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,436 Thanks
  • 3,354 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 07:21 AM

I have an idea for 3pt hitches and trying to figure out how many GT models (potential customers) are out there.
I don't know all the models that each manufacturer made that were available with 3pt hitches. Any feed back would be appreciated.

#2 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,218 Thanks
  • 2,293 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 08:29 AM

Simplicity only offered them for Sunstar and Legacy tractors.  They are very scarce vs the frequency of other brand 3pt sightings I am aware of.  Any time one pops up for $500-700, it's gone quickly.  Seems Case, Cub and Deere 3pts are quite common by comparison, around here.  JD and Cub have good aftermarket sources already I believe.

Of course there's the baby 3pt on Sears tractors.  Some of the larger Wheel Horses had them...Massey's, Bolens, etc used them too.

• sacsr and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,462 Thanks
  • 7,820 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 10:35 AM

Later Power Kings of course! Not the lift hitch, which was a drawbar, but the actual three points used later. MTD had a "sort-of" 3pt, but diff system than most. You gonna start making generic ones?  I have built one for a PK, using another as a guide. Hardest part is making adjustable lift links. The main arms and the rockshafts aren't too hard to make. AND, it all matters on where or how you are going to get it to lift also. Hydraulics or ?? etc.  There is a couple of makers of 3pt parts on web if you do searchs. Hard to find them doing Cat 0 tho, most start at Cat 1. If you look for a "Compact" tractor, the Cat 1 for those seems smaller and will work on GT's in some cases.

• sacsr said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 10:38 AM

JD has had them on the older GT's and on the newer Super GTs like X475, 575 and x700 series. The tractors like the 345, x345 can only take the sleeve type hitch.

• sacsr said thank you

#5 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 04:46 AM

Seems to me pretty much any GT big enough to use a 3pt already has them as an available option in one form or another, and theres quite a few aftermarket ones available, plus alot of GT owners are "DIY" type people and are capable of building one themselves, I think ne1 planning on making a product for profit would have to have a very unique idea to break into the market with any amount of success, which may also involve doing alot of R+D, getting a patent, licensing, spending alot of $$.... and then trying to market it to a customer base where a large portion of those potential customers want "original" equipment for their tractors, whether its the hitch itself or an addon attachment... could be a tough crowd to sell an new idea to.

but then your not giving us alot to go on

• sacsr said thank you

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,889 Thanks
  • 44,623 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 04:57 AM

Scott, biggest challenge is the 3-points differed from brand to brand. Some arms may work on different brands, but lift links were different. I know you don't want to divulge too much info, but they can be a challenge. Now that I know I can bend the lower arms, I can make mine. Again, lift links are the biggest challenge.

• sacsr said thank you

#7 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,436 Thanks
  • 3,354 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 06:27 AM

Thanks for the info guys, my idea is an attachment, I am just trying to get an idea if there enough 3pt gt owners to make it worth pursuing.

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,889 Thanks
  • 44,623 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 06:56 AM

Sounds good, Scott! Hope you can fill a void that is there!

#9 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 12:57 PM

I agree with Kenny... the biggest challenge may be the wide variety of 3pt style hitches on garden tractors... but if its something than can be upscaled and marketed to compact and full size tractor owners that may widen the potential customer base somewhat.... but there is still the DIY guys on one side and the brand loyalists on the other... we are a fickle bunch...lol

#10 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,884 Thanks
  • 4,755 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 04:43 PM

Since he's talking about an attachment all it needs to be is within the CAT 0 specifications for pin size and width.

Sears was the only MFG that I know of that used a non standard 3-pt size.

It would be a plus if he made it easily convertible to CAT 1, as that would give him the sub-compact market as well.

Edited by OldBuzzard, July 08, 2014 - 04:43 PM.

• sacsr said thank you

#11 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,741 Thanks
  • 5,580 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 09:42 AM

Since he's talking about an attachment all it needs to be is within the CAT 0 specifications for pin size and width.

Sears was the only MFG that I know of that used a non standard 3-pt size.

It would be a plus if he made it easily convertible to CAT 1, as that would give him the sub-compact market as well.

Or make it in a sleeve hitch option also....???? 

#12 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,436 Thanks
  • 3,354 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 07:31 PM

This would only be for hydro tractors. I don't think it will work for a sleeve hitch. Thanks for the info!

#13 VICHARRIS OFFLINE  

VICHARRIS

• Member No: 1381
  • 100 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 09:30 PM

Interesting subject, 3PT hitches. I have 2 MF 1650 garden tractors and both came complete with CAT 0 3 PT hitch and rear PTO. My work in progress is 316 John Deere. I have just started to fab a CAT O 3 PT hitch for it. And will somewhat copy the MF's complete with it own separate hydraulic cylinder. I use the MF 3 PT hitch for plowing large gardens and grading soil.

• sacsr said thank you

#14 Natureboy OFFLINE  

Natureboy
  • Member No: 49649
  • 83 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 05:19 PM

Don't forget about the older Ariens GTs with cat 0 3 points.
  • sacsr said thank you

#15 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 10:13 PM

Just a thought, but there's a lot of limited cat 1 hitches out there and they're still being produced.  A limited cat 1 implement works pretty well with cat 0 if you get longer 5/8 pins and turn them backwards.  Might be worthwhile to provide some sort of adaptor kit for cat 0 and just build a cat 1 machine.

• sacsr said thank you