• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 countryboy88 OFFLINE  

countryboy88
  • Member No: 8702
  • 76 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted July 06, 2014 - 09:03 PM

Hi I have a Wisconsin AENL that the cylinder bore that measures 3.0315", it is suppose to be 3" +/- .0005. Should I use a .020 oversized piston or should I use a .030 oversized piston? Also what will the piston actually measure, I cant find a stock measurement for the piston.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted July 06, 2014 - 09:06 PM

What piston do you have in there now?

Markings will be on top of the Piston, if no markings or a "0" is present that means stand bore.

Are you looking to rebuild this engine or just replace a worn piston and rings?

• countryboy88 and superaben have said thanks

#3 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,639 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted July 06, 2014 - 10:48 PM

What did you use to measure the bore? A bore gage is the only proper way to do it,it will measure taper and roundness.A snap gauge won't do it right.

You said the stock bore is 3inchs and if you measured 3,0315 your already 31and a half thou over stock bore---A .020 over isn't going to do you any good,the +030 might do the job. 

Piston sizes may vary a tiny bit depending on the maker.

WHAT EVER you do have the new piston with you before the boring bar touches the bore.

Also there are people on this forum that can set you up with pistons/rings/gaskets--ect.

• countryboy88, boyscout862 and LilysDad have said thanks

#4 countryboy88 OFFLINE  

countryboy88
  • 76 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 08:46 PM

What piston do you have in there now?

Markings will be on top of the Piston, if no markings or a "0" is present that means stand bore.

Are you looking to rebuild this engine or just replace a worn piston and rings?

It is a standard piston. I would not say I am completely rebuilding it, the valves and seats are fine but there are some bad gaskets that need replaced.

#5 countryboy88 OFFLINE  

countryboy88
  • 76 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 08:50 PM

What did you use to measure the bore? A bore gage is the only proper way to do it,it will measure taper and roundness.A snap gauge won't do it right.

You said the stock bore is 3inchs and if you measured 3,0315 your already 31and a half thou over stock bore---A .020 over isn't going to do you any good,the +030 might do the job. 

Piston sizes may vary a tiny bit depending on the maker.

WHAT EVER you do have the new piston with you before the boring bar touches the bore.

Also there are people on this forum that can set you up with pistons/rings/gaskets--ect.

I used a bore gage and can you recommend some suppliers for me to compare prices? I will need piston, rings, and a gasket set. 

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 09:06 PM

I can supply you with the parts you need.

If you have a standard bore piston then thats what your going to need to use again if you are not planning on boring the cylinder.

#7 countryboy88 OFFLINE  

countryboy88
  • 76 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 09:37 PM

I can supply you with the parts you need.

If you have a standard bore piston then thats what your going to need to use again if you are not planning on boring the cylinder.

Why do I need to bore the cylinder if its already .030 oversized, why couldn't I just use a .030 oversized piston?

#8 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,585 Thanks
  • 3,900 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 09:54 PM

No engine will ever wear true.  There are parts of your bore that are .030 and parts that are .024 etc  etc.  If you put a new .030 piston in that bore you will find it binds in places.

• countryboy88 and Bill 76 have said thanks

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 05:37 AM

I think you left a few things out that's a little confusing . To me anyway lol .  Was this a engine that was running and now your going to rebuild it or was it one you picked up that was already bored .030" oversized and now your looking for a piston  and ring set for it ? Like Bill76 said , the times I had cylinders bore I had to have the new piston for the machine shop before they would do it . Looks like you don't have the option so I believe your going to need a .030" oversize piston and if you don't have special tools to measure you can find the piston to wall clearance in the manual  and use a feeler gauge , the manual should have a better explanation on doing it that way .   Good Luck !

#10 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 07:59 AM

I think you left a few things out that's a little confusing . To me anyway lol .  Was this a engine that was running and now your going to rebuild it or was it one you picked up that was already bored .030" oversized and now your looking for a piston  and ring set for it ? Like Bill76 said , the times I had cylinders bore I had to have the new piston for the machine shop before they would do it . Looks like you don't have the option so I believe your going to need a .030" oversize piston and if you don't have special tools to measure you can find the piston to wall clearance in the manual  and use a feeler gauge , the manual should have a better explanation on doing it that way .   Good Luck !

:ditto:

I'm confused too!

#11 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 08:05 AM

With a .030 piston, the maximum bore would be 3.0305" His bore now is 3.0315, right? Why wouldn't he be required to bore and sleeve back to standard?

#12 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,639 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 03:39 PM

With a .030 piston, the maximum bore would be 3.0305" His bore now is 3.0315, right? Why wouldn't he be required to bore and sleeve back to standard?

Your right ,that would be the correct way to do it,But I don't know the clearance of a wis engine and some pistons are made with the clearance built into them,briggs is one that the manual says if you need a +.020 piston you want the bore .020 over after bore and hone,the piston is made a tad under size for the proper clearance,thats what my book say anyway and I don't know if thats true for older briggs motors.

IF his bore would clean up at 3.0315 and the max is 3.0305 it would be a thou over or more depending on the piston size.Again I don't know if wis pistons have the clearance built in.

I would like to know the size of piston that was in the engine,if it was a standard size I am quite amazed it ran with with that much clearance.

One more thing many pistons are cam ground,you allways want to mike them 90 degrees from the pin center line

• Alc and LilysDad have said thanks

#13 countryboy88 OFFLINE  

countryboy88
  • 76 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 08:39 PM

Sorry about the confusion I didn't think to give any background on the engine. This engine ran before disassembly, surprisingly. It is for my 1962 Economy Country Squire that my wife bought for me last year, here is the link. http://gardentractor...ks/#entry315645  The engine had no compression when I got it I had to grind the valves and seats and clean the carburetor to get it running. It never ran right, under any kind of load or at low rpm's it would die. I noticed that the head gasket was leaking and pulled the head to replace it. I decided to check the cylinder bore while the head was off and here we are. I plan on taking the piston with me to work tomorrow and I will measure it and get the exact size. I hope this answered everything. 

• MH81, Alc and Bill 76 have said thanks

#14 countryboy88 OFFLINE  

countryboy88
  • 76 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 05:17 PM

Sorry for the delay been having some computer issues. Well this just gets more confusing, to me anyway. I measured the piston and the top is 3.000 and the bottom is 3.0265. I'm going to assume that the cylinder was bored .030 and that the piston is just worn out because the piston should be the same top and bottom. AENL piston.jpg AENL piston2.jpg