2 replies to this topic

#1 Delmar OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,251 Thanks
  • 2,380 posts

Posted July 06, 2014 - 07:21 PM

I am going to go have a look at a 1612 Power King tractor tomorrow, and I might buy it...Yep, I need another tractor!  Looks like it has been sitting in a field for a few years, ad says it was running right up until when they parked it.  It looks complete, except the seat is missing.  I don't know much about them, except someone once told me to look careful at the steering column, that is a weak point.  Any suggestions about what I should look for?  Thanks ahead of time for your help!

#2 Username OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,064 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted July 06, 2014 - 08:03 PM

Yes the tube comes loose from the housing from people using the steering wheel to pull themselves on the tractor.There is a good chance that the transmission is not any good if it sat outside for several years not covered up.Water runs down the shifter and lays on the bottom rusting the cluster gear much of the time.

• sacsr and Delmar have said thanks

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,387 Thanks
  • 3,809 posts

Posted July 06, 2014 - 09:38 PM

I'd be glad to help you out Jim,  just give me the contact info/location and I'll go check it out for ya!  :smilewink:  :angel:

Seriously,  Username has it right,   Steering box and tranny are the places to check.  Losen the plug on the bottom of the tranny and see if rusty water comes out.  IF rusty water comes out the price starts dropping fast.

The Steering box can be inspected pretty easily since it sets out in the open.

Edited by Gtractor, July 06, 2014 - 09:43 PM.

• Delmar said thank you