sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 06:10 PM

Smoked for 15 plus years......quit one time for a year.....then was back to a pack to two packs a day....quit the second time and never took another puff. And yes I had cravings for a year or more.....certain situations always called for a cigarette, but keep up your will power and you will get through it.

Most important for me....I will never smoke another cigarette or cigar. The first time I quit for a year, the reason I went back to smoking was being with some friends at a bar and ended up smoking a cigar......3 days later I was back to a pack a day.

Congrats on quitting!

• MH81, trowel, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#17 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 09:42 AM

Congrats on quitting. I have never done it so I can't sympathize with you, but I know it's a battle, I have family members who go on/off constantly.

now if I could quit eating food  :firejumper:  :firejumper:

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#18 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 06:48 PM

I've never had one either but I know the struggle others have. Congrats & hang in there.

#19 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 07:00 PM

Good you quit, please stay that way, always good to hear of a tabaco quitter.

• hamman and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#20 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 07:04 PM

I saw my brother smoke for 30+ years. He quit for 14 yrs and took it back up. His doctor asked him why and he said he gained way to much weight. Dr. tried to get him to quit by showing him the x-rays from before and after not smoking all that time. DIdn't stop him. SInce then he has several stints put in and just last August had to have Caroted surgery to open an artery. He has cut back to less than a pack every two days now trying to quit completely.  The saying goes, never quit quiting.  Keep up the good work.                                                                                                    Roger.

#21 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,316 Thanks
  • 4,663 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 07:46 PM

I grew up with a chain smoker so I may as well have done it all my life..  @ 16 I started smoking 1 pack a day and did it most of my life..  I too quit for a year but my wife didn't..  We went to Florida and the wife was smoking like a champ and finally I told her-  Since I'm getting it 2nd hand-  give me one!  Kept smoking for a couple years after that and made up my mind that IK would not have a cigarette this millennium.  Tossed half a pack new years eve 1999 and now the smell of smoke is repulsive?!?!?! I don't know how the heck I did it!?!?!  .    :wallbanging:  :(

#22 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 07:39 AM

Congrats on the 3 months, now to make it 4 months then 6 months and a year.

I will tell you that after 13 years of being smoke free the cravings never leave me. If I get a craving at home I get busy doing some thing with my hands and mind to get the though out of my mind.

Also at some point it got so I can't ride in a friends (recent quitter) truck because it stinks so bad. hate to walk in stores with the butt cans at the door and really get PI-- when I have to walk out of a store and walk thru a few people smoking YUK. 

Guilty hypocrite I am as I smoked for 41 years quit as a retirement present to my self April 1st 2001 that finally stuck. I don't know how many times I had quit before it took hold cold turkey My wife didn't even know for about 6 months before she realized I didn't have a pack in my shirt pocket and stink.

:D   Al

Edited by alleyyooper, July 11, 2014 - 07:40 AM.

• oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#23 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 08:16 AM

I wish someone would tell me the cravings go away after awhile.  But everyone says the same.

#24 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 07:26 PM

Guilty hypocrite I am as I smoked for 41 years quit as a retirement present to my self April 1st 2001 that finally stuck.

That's scary. That's the same day I quit chewing tobacco.

I wish someone would tell me the cravings go away after awhile. But everyone says the same.

Can't say from personal experience as I've never smoked but my wife quit 11 years ago and she says she doesn't really get any cravings at this point. She went through several years where it would bother her a few times a year during the occasional stressful situation. I can say that for me, the rough period when I quit the chew lasted maybe four to six months then tapered off pretty quick. I didn't have any cravings at all after a year or two. And remember, there's a lot more nicotine in smokeless tobacco. If I could quit that stuff, you can certainly stay off the cigarettes.

Edited by Canawler, July 12, 2014 - 07:27 PM.

#25 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 07:37 PM

Right now I want a cigarette so bad I can't stand it. Gotta hold off and keep busy. It's bad when I get angry and I'm more than a bit angry right now.

#26 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,564 Thanks
  • 3,942 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 08:28 PM

You are this far! Don't grab a pack, it wil be harder next week then. Don't ask me why I know. I am in the midst of quitting chew. AND IT IS ROUGH!

#27 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 08:47 PM

I made it. I aggressively chewed gum and went and beat on boards with a hammer! Made me feel better.

Good lucky on quiting the chew. I gave that up a few years ago when. I lost 3 teeth.
  • MH81 and shorty have said thanks

#28 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 11:27 PM

The cravings do dim. Last week was harder than its been in about 6 months, but I made it.
Sometimes the damnedest things will get you by. One of mine is resolutely saying the sentence "not one more puff". Another is looking at my three kids.
  • NJKen said thank you

#29 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,652 Thanks
  • 7,677 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 06:13 AM

I wish someone would tell me the cravings go away after awhile.  But everyone says the same.

I almost never have any.

A neighbor lady once said she quit 6 weeks ago. She "just has one once in a while". I asked when was the last time she had one, "A few days ago". I said well you just quit a few days ago. Tapering off is just teasing yourself.

• MH81 and oldedeeres have said thanks