• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 skifoof OFFLINE  

skifoof
  • Member No: 52872
  • 53 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted July 05, 2014 - 09:33 PM

thought I had the 455 fixed ,well it was till today mowed good for 3 hours shut off will not start no power to starter im guessing, battery is new, connections r super clean and tight,let it cool off for several hours,still nothing,i can hear fuel pump running,lights come on fine,is ther a way to connect a wire from switch to starter just to see if it would start,the 455 has a circuit board type key switch so it isn't as easy as a older key switch and gas engine,yanmar diesel,the starter has several wires on the hot post and a big cable on back side don't know how to jump it for testing...any ideas???

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 05, 2014 - 10:00 PM

What's the chance of having a faulty safety switch? 

I'd be very careful about too much jumping on these newer diesels, you can fry some electrical components pretty quick if you connect something and it backfeeds.  Especially if there is a safety switch thinking it is doing its job somewhere.

Ben W.

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 05, 2014 - 10:13 PM

I will mention this only because I have done it with my 318 and sometimes the simplest things can happen.
Did you turn off the pto when you shut it off? It will not start if you leave the pto switch on.
  • propane1 said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 06, 2014 - 06:57 AM

I've sent you some info. that may help. 

#5 skifoof OFFLINE  

skifoof
  • Member No: 52872
  • 53 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted July 06, 2014 - 06:28 PM

well I think I found the problem,i messed around with it for the better part of the day,had my mother sit on tractor ,its impossible to do by yourself,i told her to hold the key in start position while I wiggle some wires,i suspected the wires on the starter so I pulled on them ,it started right up,right then and there my suspitions where correct,the larger red wire to 2 orange ones was a fusable link that musta fried some wires in,i cut it off and stripped the sheething of,some wires looked good some looked burnt,that musta been why last fall it would start after cooldown,well I eliminated the link and hooked it with a normal wire for now,starts every time now,mowed for about an hour with no problems,my mother said when she was mowing the deck would shut off occasionally,maybe had something to do with that link,im so relieved I was already looking for a newer mower but didn't want to spend another 5 grand right now...thanks Brian for the download,i think im going to get a service manual soon