1 reply to this topic

#1 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53757
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted July 05, 2014 - 12:46 AM

Evening, hope everyone had a great 4th of July.

image.jpg

I just had my first entry in a parade today in my home town. We had a blast, lots of kid in the float and a lot of interest in it. The utah airboat association helped in getting some duck calls and the banner. But we want to get the floats little more pizazz.

image.jpg

So we want to add a candy cannon or two to the float for next year. So I need to make a pto powered compressor. What would be the best route to go after this? Should I find a old elec motor ran, convert to front pto.

Thanks for all the forum doe for me and feeding my hobby.

Edited by Pager450n, July 05, 2014 - 12:48 AM.

• hamman, sacsr and Cvans have said thanks

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 05, 2014 - 07:00 AM

So we want to add a candy cannon or two to the float for next year. So I need to make a pto powered compressor. What would be the best route to go after this? Should I find a old elec motor ran, convert to front pto.

Thanks for all the forum doe for me and feeding my hobby.

Looks like fun !

I take your JD is 12 hp ? most portable compressors are of the 5.5 hp range with single or double stage compressors, it would seem for a cannon operating off a air receiver the volume of the receiver would need to be calculated for the max ''blow out'' for the cannon, i would imagine a ball valve would be used for that.

The compressor i would imagine a simple single stage reciprocating twin piston type would do just fine, taking into account much of the engine's power is diverted to pulling a wagon and it's own weight with you and others a small one would be fine such as Emglo, Champion, Rol-Air, Quincy and the cheapies from Northern Hydraulics. I would imagine 5 to 6 SCFM would be fine and fill the tank (s) in seconds depending on the volume (cu in).

• Pager450n said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: home made, ideas, float