• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 855 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 06:40 AM

Finding and buying the 30 wasn't as exciting as the other two (44 gas& diesel) were. I had a Sunday off work for some reason as I had been working 7/12's for some time. It also happened to be a weekend we had free from the kids. Kare and I went out for dinner then a drive in the country to while the time away LOL to look for tractors for sale. Going down a narrow local dirt road I spy the 30 setting beside the drive way near the road, the house back up the drive a couple hundred feet. I pulled in get out to look at the tractor, after I walked around her and kicked the tires I got back in the jeep and drove up to the house.
I got out and knocked on the door, A man comes to the door and asked what I wanted and I said I was intrested in the tractor for sale. He said it was his dads and he didn't think it was for sale really and turned and yelled for his dad.

Dad comes to the door and says that it had ran out of gas down there yesterday is why it was there but here reckoned he'd sell it. I asked if he had gas and couldI hear it run. He says yup, he was just getting ready to go fetch it when I knocked on the door. He gets the gas can and a funnel as heads down there with Kare and I in tow. He puts the gas in her and is telling me where he had gotten her and how he had relined the brakes and painted her with ACE hardware Vermillion paint($25 a gallon at that time) using a air less sprayer.
Once started she ran nice with no smoke so I took a turn around the yard, the brakes were really good. I Stopped her and asked what he wanted for her. He hemed and hawed for a little then named his price. Kare looked at me and I her she said what you thinking I said It is your idea to collect them, so Kare asked if he would take a check. He took the check, I told him I would leave it there if it was alright with him till the check cleared.
Kare and I went back to get it 2 weeks latter. Should have called ahead as no one was there to get the key from. Since  I made my living working on broken down new GM cars and trucks and sometimes Ford I carry a bunch of tools so I can some times help people along the road. Masseys are easy to start with out a key Just hook one jumper wire connector to one side of the switch and the other jumper end to the other side (that's why we remove the rotors when we are at shows) then push the started button. We were only 6 miles from home so I had decided to just drive it rather than go thru the hassle of plateing my truck just for that little bit.
At home we called them and said we had picked up the tractor and we would call back in a few days for the key.
A week latter we call then go get the key. The guy said he was amazed we got the tractor and asked if we had towed it home. I said I drove it home under it's own power.
He asked if it was that easy to start his late model ford truck I told him no but your old 50 Chevy truck is that easy. He asked me to show him what to do to keep it safe.
Nearly all our tractors get their picture taken the day we buy them or when we pick them up. Only some get pictures after they have had work done.I think it was due to the old slr cameras and film devlopement cost.

thesmall30.jpg

:D   Al

Edited by alleyyooper, July 04, 2014 - 06:42 AM.

• Alc, tinbender7, Cvans and 4 others have said thanks

#2 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,634 Thanks
  • 1,732 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 07:04 AM

Good looking old Massey!  Nice back  story too.  Rick

• tinbender7 said thank you

#3 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 08:58 AM

Nice tractor, great story!

• tinbender7 said thank you

#4 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • 855 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted July 06, 2014 - 07:16 AM

thanks.

:D   Al

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 06, 2014 - 02:21 PM

Nice looking 30 you got there, and it's very easy to start any of those old tractors.

#6 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 12:40 PM

Nice Massey! Thanks for the story! Do you have any other Masseys?

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,472 Thanks
  • 5,006 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 04:03 PM

Nice looking tractor. What intrigues you about the Massey line?

#8 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • 855 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 06:37 AM

Between my wife and my self we have 22 Massey Harris tractors.

It is the first rubber tired tractor my dad every owned a 1949 Pony he bought new. He later got a model 20, 44, 44-6. An uncle had a model 30 and a 44.

So I just fell for them although Olivers are nice also.

:D  Al

• Cvans and Gabriel have said thanks

#9 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 01:32 PM

Our 155 had an ignition key, but once or twice Dad would forget the key at the house, and rather than go back for it, we discovered the oil dipstick would do a fine job of turning the ignition.