Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

First Lawn Tractor And Problems Already!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Pukie OFFLINE  

Pukie
  • Member No: 59709
  • 4 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 11:31 PM

So let me start by saying I am not mechanically inclined whatsoever. I recently bought my very first lawn tractor, an unknown year John Deere 160. I guess it has a loose belt because sometimes it wont go into gear and I have to reach underneath and start the belt and roll it back on. Well today, I was trying to do that and my hand got caught and pulled a wire out and now there is nothing when I turn the key. The wire I pulled out is purple and has a female connector on the end so I know I did not wreck the wire, it can come out, I just don't know where it came from. The wire was/is right around where the belt that makes the wheels go. I know its kind of hard to help without seeing it but any help would be appreciated.

• A.C.T. said thank you

#2 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 12:12 AM

Sorry I don't know the answer, but hopefully someone will. Let me be the first to welcome you.

untitled welcome.png

• Pukie said thank you

#3 Pukie OFFLINE  

Pukie
  • 4 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 12:30 AM

Thanks! I have a feeling I will be using these forums a lot!

• A.C.T. said thank you

#4 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,723 Thanks
  • 4,283 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 04:22 AM

Welcome to the forum. My guess would be the wire goes to the safety switch down around the clutch pedal. hopefully one of the Deere guys will be along to help you out.

• Newpaws493 said thank you

#5 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 04:28 AM

Welcome aboard! :wave:  Guys more familiar with your deer will probably stop on by to help you along and maybe a mod might help put this in the brand specific area.

My 2cents., ya might wanna resist stickin your body parts in close to equipment while they're runnin. Good luck and there's a great manuals section here, Enjoy!

Edited by Newpaws493, July 04, 2014 - 04:28 AM.

• superaben and Sawdust have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,773 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 04:53 AM

Welcome to GTT. First, you need to become Safety aware. We don't want anyone to get hurt. You need to find a manual for the tractor. JD doesnt allow us to share their manuals. While waiting for a JD 160 manual you could download a similar manual from our library for their safety guidance.

You will just need to find the switch that the wire pulled from and put it back on. A small mirror is very handy when searching under a tractor. Good Luck, Rick

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 06:12 AM

Welcome to GTTalk! It sounds like that wire came from one of the safety switches. You also need to figure out what is going on with the drive belt. Is the belt tensioner working properly? A good visual inspection of the belt, pulleys and tensioner assembly should yield some clues as to what is going on. JD manuals are not available on this forum for download because of copyright issues that JD is very strict about enforcing. 

#8 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 06:34 AM

Sure sounds like a safety switch wire to me too. Like mentioned sounds like your belt is running loose & needs adjusted or tensioner problems. Most of all the GT can be fixed without pain but your taking a big risk reaching under a running GT. Let us know how your doing.

#9 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 06:53 AM

Welcome to GTtalk! The best advice I can give you is grab a good flashlight or troublelight and start searching the areas where that wire might reach as the other connector has to be nearby,I've bought several GT's over the years for dirt cheap that have had the same issue and I'm betting it won't take you but a few minutes to find the lost wire. As far as a manual goes I've had good luck finding them on ebay,just be prepared as some of the Deere manuals aren't cheap but if you plan on keeping the tractor for any length of time they're well worth it.

#10 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,644 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 08:00 AM

Welcome Pukey!!!     If we were together, I could show you the scars on my finger where I got too close to a running belt and my finger got sucked into a pulley. Lots of stitches and nerve damage.

#11 hdg4400 OFFLINE  

hdg4400

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6945
  • 254 Thanks
  • 326 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 09:48 AM

Pukie:

I will be sending you a PM (Personal Message) with some info I have on the JD 160. Might not help with your current problem but could be useful.

Harlan

• Sawdust said thank you

#12 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 09:52 AM

Your drove belt is probably worn.

If you Google JD 160 drive belt replacement. There are some diagrams on the net.

There is a big spring and a tensioner.

This isn't a huge job if you know how to turn a wrench. If you are really bad at mechanical things you probably should take it somewhere for repairs.

Please don't reach under a moving belt and tractor awhile it's running. You can lose a finger or worse.

#13 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 10:19 AM

Welcome to GTtalk Pukie!  Please remember Safety first! Putting you hand(s) or body parts under a running tractor is a very dangerous move.

As stated above is it sounds like you have pulled a safety switch wire off.  If you could provide some picture as to where the wire is in relation to the tractor we may be able to help you locate where it goes better.  Good luck.

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 12:53 PM

I agree with others in that it is likely a safety switch. More than likely it will be located on the belt tightener that the clutch operates. Messing with the belt could have knocked it off.
The machine should not start unless the clutch is disengaged. As far as not being mechanically inclined, there was a time when each of us had to learn. Enjoy the journey.

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 04, 2014 - 12:54 PM.

#15 Pukie OFFLINE  

Pukie
  • 4 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 09:09 PM

Thanks for the replies. I guess I didn't word it properly but I definitely DID NOT reach under while it was running. I turned the machine off first. So today I pulled off the body (managed to get it back on as well.) and found my problem. I have no idea what it is but when I plugged it back together it worked. I am pretty sure I will need a new drive belt. Should be an adventure... 

• A.C.T. and Sawdust have said thanks