#1 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,805 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 03:16 PM

Ok fellas, I need a little advise.  I am not a walk behind guy never have been, a friend at work told me today about an old walk behind tractor on the side of the road so I went to look.  it is an early planet jr with dual steel wheels and a toro engine.  has a bottom plow on it.  I know I need pics for this but I did not have my camera.  This thing has been setting for awhile outside, the engine is seized and or two of the ribs on the rims are broken from when they moved it I am guessing and the handlebars are bent badly to one side, looks like maybe they dropped it or pulled it over by the bars.  There is no paint left to speak of and most everything is rusted solid.

Sign on the thing said make an offer, so I called and offered $50, mostly just for the engine.  Am I close or way of?  The guy on the phone said no way he would take $50.  I know without pics it is hard but advise would be great.

Pete

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 03:41 PM

Sounds like you are discribing a pre-war PJ, they can bring some $$$ but the discription you gave makes it sound more for parts, as parts it can bring some $$ that is if the parts will come apart, lol,

Don't rush, take some pictures and show them to us to view so we can give a more accurate assessment.

• boyscout862 and petrj6 have said thanks

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 04:26 PM

Did you happen to find the brass tag and get the model number? Did the engine have a tin shroud or was it cast aluminum? The tin shroud is older. Did it have the carb and aircleaner?   Is the plow all complete? You could probably double your offer and not get hurt but i don't think i would go crazy over it. The model and condition play a big part. Did you ask him what he wanted for it? Let it sit awhile and go back.

• superaben and petrj6 have said thanks

#4 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,805 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 04:29 PM

It was an aluminum engine with a steel cylinder, had a tin shroud over the front of the engine.  It was all complete.  just bent to heck.  I mostly was interested for the engine.  I am going back down that way tomorrow I will try to get some pics.

• DougT and trowel have said thanks

#5 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,805 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 07:04 PM

Looking online and found this pic, this is the tractor.  this is not the actual one but is the same model, only difference is the machine I am looking at has dual rear wheels.

I talked tot he guy again and offered $100 but he wants more,  I am not willing to pay more for the machine in such poor cond.

Attached Thumbnails

• planet jr.jpg

• trowel said thank you

#6 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,653 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 07:47 PM

Some folks don't want to sell. They just like to fish. The more you beg, the more he likes it. It confirms to him that he has something wonderful.

• DougT, trowel and superaben have said thanks