• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 07:11 AM

I am not sure when my dad bought the New Holland By Sperry Rand. He got a mower deck, front blade and snow blower with it. It was a good tractor and ran well but it had a couple of trouble areas that drove dad some what crazy. The 12HP kohler engine has a electronic ignition system. Even though every thing was sealed tight in a heat sink it would stop working so the engine would not run. It was a buy a new module to get it going again. The last one kept getting back ordered so dad just bought a new tractor with a mower deck a Ariens S 16. When the new module arrived I bought the tractor from dad but the gear box in the mower deck had broke so I never put much effort in it and parked in it my pole barn. I am sure if I went out put new gas in it a battery it would start.

scan0003.jpg

scan0003-1.jpg

The Ariens was a fine tractor and did a great job mowing and dad really liked the easy on and off beltless mower set up. He found a small cat O cultivator that worked very well on the 3 point hitch for garden use for many years. After dad passed The tractor had been willed to me but I left it on the farm so that Moms lawn could be mowed. Problem there was every body and all there brothers and sisters use it for more than mowing moms lawn. It was trailered to do garden cultivating as siblings places and other mowing till the spindles in the mower went bad. When Mom passed on I brought it home with the mower deck which still needs spindles and the blade. I do not have any Idea what happened to the snow blower.
This is how it looks today. I am hoping to start a restore on it soon.

120820_4771.jpg

120820_4772.jpg

This is the reason dad finally bought a 7 foot Ber Vac Snow blower for his Ford 2000 but worked a bit better on my Ford 5000.

scan0001-1.jpg

:D   Al

• daytime dave, wvbuzzmaster, sacsr and 2 others have said thanks

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 07:32 AM

Hi, is this Al the honey guy?  And would you like me to remove the "GT Junior" badge....I don't think you're a teenager are ya?  :smilewink:

And thanks for the story.  Looking forward to the resto on the tractor.  :thumbs:

#3 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 05:31 AM

At 67 almost 68 I do not think I am a youngster any more except in the eyes of some one 100.

Yup have honey bees in the back yard and thru out a couple counties.

Has gotten tough keeping them how ever with all the stuff out there killing them.

• sacsr and Sawdust have said thanks

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,582 Thanks
  • 3,961 posts

Posted July 05, 2014 - 05:06 AM

Neat story. It is great to hear the history that goes with the tractors.

#5 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 07:09 AM

Was sort of doing a project assement yesterday on the S 16. Appears the serial number decal may be intact enough to get the numbers off it. going to get my glasses on today and take a look at it again. If the numbers are there I will take my stamp set and stamp the numbers in the frame. since the frame is going to need a good pain job.

First thing is to get the points and condenser installed and battery to see if I can get it started.

Wish I had a picture of the seat adjustment set up the seat part is missing.

:D    Al

#6 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 09:27 AM

That's a great story.  If you do get it out and going, let's see plenty of pictures.  I'll bet it still has plenty of work left in it.

#7 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 06:41 AM

Last time I drove it was 2005 mowing the lawn just after dad passed. It didn't smoke any at all and ran like a top nary a hiccup.

did get to check the sticker out yesterday, needed to get the trailer jack mount fixed so the jack wasn't hanging down when on the road.

Had a lawn to mow before todays rain.