Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

B10 Starting

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 06:58 AM

With all this talk about normanng getting his "new" B10, I just had to get out and mow with mine a little last night.  I have a question about the briggs engine more than the tractor.  My B10 runs really well once it starts.  Starting it, though, is another issue.  I noticed that there is a chip on this tractor that replaces the points.  Given that find, I would say it's always been a bugger to start.  Since this is a briggs engine and the coil works off the flywheel, my question is, even with this chip, if the flywheel is rusty or dirty, would it affect the way this thing starts?  I've always had kohlers except for one or two briggs that didn't stick around long.  One briggs I had did well but then the coil got a little out of whack and it wouldn't start until I adjusted it again.  They are picky to say the least.  Seems to me that the coil might be making this thing start harder than it should.  These things usually don't get any worse until I fix them so I want to know my chances of success before I tear into it.

#2 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 07:27 AM

If it's running well, but not starting well, I don't think you have a spark issue.  I would bet it's fuel supply.  Rust, unelss it's severe, doesn't impeded the magnetic field on the flywheel all that much anyway.  Some of my best runners have rusty crusty flywheels.  Others that won't give me decent spark and shiny like new.

The issue I have seen that may cause a tough start but great running condition once fired up, is a actually the length and orientation of the fuel line.  This is unique to the updraft Briggs carbs...some are very touchy and either cannot draw through enough fuel, or simply get flooded too easily.  I have remedied a couple grumpy 3-bolt carbs by eliminating a fuel filter and going to a shorter line, which essentially raises the lowest point in the line, and provides a better gravity feed.

Others, needed a longer line, to hold back that flow a bit.

This is just one idea...could be a vacuum/gasket issue, could be something else.  Going to need to rule things out as you go.

Right now I'm beating myself up over a model 19 that I CANNOT get running long enough to drive it.  The tractor always ran great, and now that I need to use it, is a grump.  :wallbanging:

• David Brown said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 09:17 AM

Fuel and ignition problems seem to happen alot to my old Briggs engines. I have found that rust on the magnets on the flywheel made trouble for me. So, I always lightly sand and regap them when a mouse nest has plugged up the housing. The alcohol in the gas now does a job on fuel lines and other rubber and plastic pieces in the fuel system.

We have excellant manuals on the old B&S engines in our Manuals Section http://gardentractor...pairman-manual/ and http://gardentractor...ines-1919-1981/. I bought my copy in 1978 and still use it frequently. Good Luck, Rick

• David Brown and classic have said thanks

#4 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 09:45 AM

I did notice that this one floods rather easily.  Maybe I'll give that longer fuel line a try.  I use ethanol free in all my tractors but I have no idea what they ran in it before I got it.  I don't believe they would have sought out ethanol free though.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 10:04 AM

I find that the floats are coated with shelac and the valve seats sometimes have eroded. These prevent the float valve from sealing. I should mention that right now I have 2 - B10s and a BIG TEN awaiting engine work. My sons B10 has an engine rap so, it is getting a like new engine. The magneto and carb from it are going on the BIG TEN then it should run fine. The last B10 will require overhaulling a 23D for it.  I have found a good source for the old B&S engines is old generators. The ones I have picked up are low hours. Two don't run but one is like new. Many of the older generators had belt drive which means a straight pto on the engine. Please take a short video of the B10 when you get it going. Good Luck, Rick 

• David Brown and classic have said thanks

#6 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 11:02 AM

Will this coil work on the 23D armature and function as it should?

Attached Thumbnails

• $(KGrHqQOKnME4NSIY9HMBOJ3wRpQtw~~0_3-1.jpeg
  • $(KGrHqEOKoYE33eWWbzzBOJ3w(Q65g~~0_3-1.jpeg