sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,405 Thanks
  • 3,345 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 06:24 AM

I bought this 10,000 lb hitch a while back- changed it over to 2" ball to match my trailer. The way it was originally set up the main piece that fits into the truck hitch was long side up- only problem was it was too high to get under the trailer- I inverted it to get it on. Should I be concerned its too low and might catch on something ?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404386651.558065.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404386666.217716.jpg
  • hamman said thank you

#2 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,607 Thanks
  • 5,519 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 06:35 AM

mine hangs like that, I've never had an issue. I've dragged foot of the trailer jack before the hitch ever grabbed anything...but I do have a 3" lift kit  :rocker2:  :smilewink:

Seriously, as long as you don't load her down with a heavy tongue weight, you should be alright.

• sacsr and Bill 76 have said thanks

#3 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 416
  • 612 Thanks
  • 1,223 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 06:51 AM

I see this all the time. I wouldn't be concerned about it, but you should keep it in mind when you are off road trying to rescue a tractor.

Is there a reason you bought such a large hitch?

• sacsr and Bill 76 have said thanks

#4 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,405 Thanks
  • 3,345 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 06:56 AM

I see this all the time. I wouldn't be concerned about it, but you should keep it in mind when you are off road trying to rescue a tractor.

Is there a reason you bought such a large hitch?

Reason for the large hitch was the load leveling aspect- 3 -4 BH on the trailer is right at 2000-2500+ pounds. Just trying to make towing safer and easier. I have since out the leveling arms on.

Edited by sacsr, July 03, 2014 - 06:58 AM.

• hamman said thank you

#5 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 416
  • 612 Thanks
  • 1,223 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 07:07 AM

Not doubting your decision of using load leveling devices. They are safe. What size trailer are you using? Single or double axle?

I have a 2006 F-150 and 20' duel axle trailer. There are times where I could have benefited from a load leveling system but my load was getting closer to 5000+ farm tractor or 6-8 garden tractors.

• sacsr said thank you

#6 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 14,597 Thanks
  • 8,324 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 09:42 AM

I would be leery of using the load leveling hitch with out the bars in it. The bars add a lot of strength to the hitch.

I wouldn't worry about it hanging unless you are somewhere you shouldn't be with a trailer anyway.

• sacsr said thank you

#7 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,607 Thanks
  • 5,519 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 09:56 AM

I would be leery of using the load leveling hitch with out the bars in it. The bars add a lot of strength to the hitch.

I wouldn't worry about it hanging unless you are somewhere you shouldn't be with a trailer anyway.

i would be more leery of using the bars on a trailer not made to use them. They can twist a standard angle frame. 

#8 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 12:29 PM

The hitch is designed to be used either way up and adjustable using the bolts that hold the two pieces together, but theres no benefit to using the load leveler hitch if you arent using the leveling bars or anti sway bar, you can just use a standard solid bar hitch which wouldnt hang down.  

• GTTinkerer, sacsr and Sawdust have said thanks

#9 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 2,938 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 01:14 PM

For what its worth, I've got a fairly standard hitch on my F-150, but its way back from the rear wheels because the truck is so long.  There are a few driveways that my hitch smacks and drags on, so when I see a pretty abrupt height change, I'll try to "cut the corner" so the hitch is less likely to hit.

• sacsr said thank you

#10 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,156 Thanks
  • 7,588 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 03:04 PM

I have hit mine on ditches or slopes when moving around my own yard mostly. Digs in and takes a chunk of sod with it, specially when loaded. I don't see a reason to need this leveler system.  I have a 12,000lb trailer and use standard class 4 hitch with 2-5/16" ball and have had no issues. One thing I do have  is the whole hitch unit on trailer has a U-channel like front on traler and couple big bolts to move up and down to diff levels. I have never moved mine since new, but could. Are you sure that 2" coupler is really big enough for that trailer?  That looks like the weak point to me. Hitches get heavier and not just bigger as they increase in size. I pull big tractors and lots of added on stuff to shows with mine and have had no problems w/out the leveler. I have a 4x4 truck, which might set up higher than 2x but my insert is flipped and actually ball is on top side now, raises 2" then.

• sacsr said thank you

#11 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 1,331 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 07:22 PM

How level do the loaded trailer and truck set with the weight distributing bar on it?  How much does the rear wheel well to ground height change between no trailer and a loaded trailer with the bars on it? 

#12 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,405 Thanks
  • 3,345 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 08:13 PM

Sorry guys been at a tractor show today and just having time to respond. I don't use this weight distribution hitch set up unless I think I am hauling a full load of GT's. My trailer has a 2" receiver. I would not put more than about 3,000 lbs on my trailer. The tongue is 5-6" boxed steel- I have loaded it in the past where there was a lot of weight on the hitch of the truck - part of the reason is because my tandem axles are set fairly back on the trailer frame. That was my reason to start using the weight distribution when ever I am taking a full load.

I think this answers the questions that were asked. Thanks for all the responses.

#13 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 08:46 PM

The load leveling bars are Just That... they arent designed to increase the weight rating of a trailer, they just allow both the trailer and tow vehicle to ride level and maintain proper control. The hitch itself will have a tongue weight rating and that may be higher than the vehicle and/or trailer tongue rating... you should always stay within the lowest rating of any single piece.

At 3000lbs the hitch you have is probably about triple overkill... dont think you have much to worry about, but since you already have the hitch you might want an anti sway bar, they make a noticable improvement even on light loads.
  • sacsr said thank you