Rusty Gas Tank?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ranchruler@yahoo.com OFFLINE  

• Member No: 59405
  • 17 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 11:51 PM

I am needing a good method on cleaning out rust a debris from my old Jacobson gas tank that im restoring.
  • GTpicker01 and Jazz have said thanks

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,388 Thanks
  • 3,809 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 02:44 AM

Soak it in white vinegar for a couple of days and it should be rust free inside.  if not repeat. 

Muratic Acid does the same thing but the vapors are terrible.

Hot tank it over night in an engine rebuilding machine shop. 

Make a tumbler of sorts, put rocks inside and let her roll for a few hours.

Make an electrolysis tank [lots of how-to videos on You-Tube] and soak it to remove rust.

Sandblast the inside the best you can.

All of these [and other methods] will work but you will have to use a tank coating inside or it will rust right back like it was.

I recommend "U.S. Tank" from the makers of POR-15 as a sealer. 

Good luck!!

• KC9KAS and ranchruler@yahoo.com have said thanks

#3 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

• Member No: 58852
  • 849 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 08:14 AM

I place a few gravel stones in the tank add some lacquer thinner, I like a full tank. once it has sat for a few hours start rolling it around to get the gravel stones working. Drain the thinner out and remove stones.

Add a tank sealer so you never have a a rust problem again. this has worked for 22 years sealing pin holes in a gas tank on a farm tractor.

Follow the directions.

:D   Al

Edited by alleyyooper, July 03, 2014 - 08:15 AM.

• ranchruler@yahoo.com said thank you

#4 ranchruler@yahoo.com OFFLINE  

• Member No: 59405
  • 17 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 09:31 PM

ok I just put viniger in thank you both!

#5 grattone OFFLINE  

• Member No: 66237
  • 221 Thanks
  • 166 posts

Posted February 19, 2015 - 08:08 PM

I don't know how you go about getting the rocks out, I used gravel in the past and had a time cleaning them out. I just cleaned old gas out of the tank on a MF-7 with a hand full of 1" steel screws and Purple Power cleaner. Every time I went around the bench I would pick it up and shake the tank, once I was finished I would use a magnet to remove the screws. Also I have good luck cleaning carbs with the purple power in a small ultra sonic cleaner, a lot less cheaper than carb cleaner (Purple Power is $4.98 +- per Gallon). Vinegar + Screws should work.

• Copperhead300 said thank you

#6 Sawdust OFFLINE  

• Member No: 36549
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 2,827 posts

Posted February 19, 2015 - 08:35 PM

I use lock washers, they tend to do a good job of scrubbing & easier to get out. Make sure you use a good paper element filter afterwards & check it frequently for a change.
  • grattone said thank you

#7 3v0 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 26648
  • 79 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted February 19, 2015 - 09:08 PM

I have done some experimenting with electrolysis for rust removal and it works.  I plan to use it to derust a JD112 tank soon.  You still have to use the something in the tank to remove the black coating left behind but the rust should be 100% gone.

• limebuzz and grattone have said thanks

#8 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

• Member No: 61995
  • 887 Thanks
  • 545 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 04:49 PM

I use lacquer thinner and short pieces of logging chain. Tape off the fill neck and give it a good shake every once in a while, pour it out, sit it in the sun to flash off and add some tank sealer. If it's really bad I cut a window in it and go at it by hand and then MIG it back together.

#9 Jazz OFFLINE  

• Member No: 62028
  • 1,348 Thanks
  • 886 posts

Posted February 24, 2015 - 02:31 PM

I use vinegar frequently. On my homelite fuel tank I put a piece of light chain into tank and shook it around a bit  the day of rinsing. Infact the tank looks identical to your Jacobson!  Inside of tank look like it had been sandblasted. I believe it had sat about 5 days,,,i was in no hurry.  

Edited by Jazz, February 24, 2015 - 02:35 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#10 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,399 Thanks
  • 1,861 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 10:40 PM

good way to recycle/repurpose battery acid, I usually have a battery or 2's worth of it around here, just for that reason. plug the drain holes, fill with battery acid and let sit overnite, pour out and inspect, if not clean enuf then put acid back in and let sit some more,  I have rarely had a tank that overnite wasn't enuf.  (though the very last one I did, probably "the" worst one I've ever had to flush, did take more than 1 soak). 

but yes, coat that tank --as soon after it's clean, -- and before putting gas in it again, or you will be back to Square 1. (the prev. post looks like an older can of Red Kote, which works great)  there are a few different products that you can use.   POR makes one, too.   just make sure you follow instructions or you will be dissatisfied with the coating results no matter which one you use.

• sacsr said thank you

#11 framesteer OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11301
  • 327 Thanks
  • 161 posts

Posted October 31, 2015 - 03:44 PM

My son uses ATF and old hardware.  He has repurposed an old clothes dryer to use as the tumbler.  He wraps the tank, loaded with old hardware and ATF, in an old blanket wrapped in duct tape.  Doesn't take long to get the rust out.

• limebuzz, KennyP and dodge trucker have said thanks

#12 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 458 Thanks
  • 461 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 09:22 PM

vinegar and smaller bolts rinse then laquer and lock washers to finish.

#13 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 866 Thanks
  • 721 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 02:11 AM

I know this thread is old but they sell a kit for motorcycle gas tanks I think it's around 20 dollars . You get a cleaner that cleans the rust really well then you dump a sealer in that seals small pin holes the kit works really good