17 replies to this topic

#1 jorgen OFFLINE  

jorgen
  • Member No: 59621
  • 6 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 07:45 PM

Hello !

I’m a older guy from Sweden who has a garden somewhere around 20.000 sq.feet.

Having a large family and pretty much to do at work I have started thinking about getting myself a riding mower. Only problem is; as usual – I’m on a pretty tight budget right now. This beeing said; I have the option of buying a used Snapper mower nearby where I live. According to the seller; the thing runs without problem but there two things to fix:

• the belt that drives the blade is broken
  • a couple of "spacers/washers", described as plastic or rubber, are missing from the axel where the cutting blade is fastened.

The guy wants 400 dollars for this mower, see picture below.

I consider myself relatively handy – but it would be very helpful if one of You experts could say if this sounds like something easy to fix – or like a bad idea ?

I would also like to ask, since I have a very sloping and bumpy garden, will this machine be a wise choice for me ? Does this type of mower mulch the grass, or do I need to rake the clippings up afterwards ?

Huge thanks if someone can help me.

Sincerely Jörgen

Attached Thumbnails

• snapper.jpg

• A.C.T. said thank you

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 08:08 PM

Welcome to the GTtalk Jörgen.  The belt is not hard to replace,  There are manuals, in the manual section, that will tell you how to change the belt and also adjust it so it will give you the longest life.  I assume when you say axle you are talking about the spindle that spins the blade.  You will probably want to pull the blade and sharpen it when you get it so you should be able to replace the spacers at that time.  Some one that knows Snappers better then I do should be along before long and can give you better advice.

• boyscout862 and jorgen have said thanks

#3 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 08:35 PM

Hi Jorgen.

Welcome to GTT. :wave:

I'm not familiar with those Snappers, other than I've heard that they

are very good machines. Just like anything, they need owner attention.

One thing I notice from your picture, is that the grass looks much greener over there.

• jorgen said thank you

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 08:47 PM

I am assuming by garden, you don't mean a place to grow vegetables, but rather a flower garden?

:welcome: to GTTalk, looks like a nice machine.
  • jorgen said thank you

#5 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 09:00 PM

WELCOME!
  • jorgen said thank you

#6 jorgen OFFLINE  

jorgen
  • 6 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 09:45 PM

Thanks a lot for Your answers and friendly attitude :-)

I am leaning more and more towards buying this tractor.  I understand it is normally a longlasting equipment, given proper amount of care of course.

Please pardon my rusty English. Of course I mean  grass lawn, not flower garden :-)

Many greetings from Sweden/ Jörgen

#7 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • Member No: 25875
  • 1,665 Thanks
  • 1,646 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 10:20 PM

Used to mow a cemetery with one of these.  Tough and maneuverable mower.  Didn't work on it much but that was many years ago.  I don't know values too well on them.  Welcome!

• jorgen said thank you

#8 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 10:32 PM

They are good mowers, last for years.  I have one that I used for 15 years, I think it was built in the 70s so they last a long time.  You can get baggers for them too.  Makes sure the brake works and it drives well, no slipping in all the gears.    If everything works good, then $400 US is good price for it.

• jorgen said thank you

#9 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 10:39 PM

untitled welcome.png

Welcome!!!  $400 might be ok as I know everything is higher in Sweden.

• jorgen said thank you

#10 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 11:34 PM

Hallo Jörgen, welcome to GTT

• jorgen said thank you

#11 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 12:18 AM

• the belt that drives the blade is broken
  • a couple of "spacers/washers", described as plastic or rubber, are missing from the axel where the cutting blade is fastened.

The guy wants 400 dollars for this mower, see picture below.

I would also like to ask, since I have a very sloping and bumpy garden, will this machine be a wise choice for me ? Does this type of mower mulch the grass, or do I need to rake the clippings up afterwards ?

There should be a data sticker with the model# and date on the tractor, sometimes under the seat on the left side.  You can use the model# to find online fiche for part numbers.  One source is snapperpartstore.com   Here is a link  http://www.snapperpa...s/SNP/28085s//1  Or you can find parts on ebay.  Not sure about getting them to Europe tho.

Your machine looks different from what i have seen, maybe it is a European machine?   If so maybe you can find a local source for info, dealer, etc.

If you have the belt you can look for a part# or measure it, any belt the same size should work.

As for plastic washers there are some in the rear axle, pretty common issue.  If you can move the rear of the machine side-to-side more than 5mm or so you can take up the slack with washers.  They are plastic you can cut a notch in them, no need to remove axles.  Washers go under the left side axle boot.  You will need to stand the machine up on end to replace.  There is also a grease fitting on that axle and the mower blade spindle.  I don't know about a plastic washer on the mower blade.

Also before buying stand it up and look underneath, if the rubber boots are torn they will need to be replaced.  Axles will need to be taken apart a dirty job.  Also the chain case and gear box take 00 grease might as well do that while it is up in the air.

Check to see if it goes uphill ok while mowing, the clutch wears but is easy to replace costs under $20

Make sure the motor doesn't smoke or make bad noises

How well it mulches depends on the blade.  There are different blades available for snapper mowers, hi-lift, mulching, ninja, etc.

They are good machines, well-built, easy to work on.  It always comes down to individual condition and location for sales price.  Snappers usually have smaller motors good on gas, only 1 blade so not the best choice for really big yards, takes a long time with a 30" cut.  Also they are just riding mowers, not meant for towing or digging in a garden, good luck

• MH81, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#12 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 12:40 AM

Welcome, I owned one back in the day and it was a good little machine, and mowed well. It was well taken care of I never had any problem's with it.

• jorgen said thank you

#13 jorgen OFFLINE  

jorgen
  • 6 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 03:50 AM

Huge thanks, You guys, I will contact the seller again and post an update here.

@oldford: I really appreciate the details ! :-)

Take care everyone and a good summer to you all

Jörgen

• HDWildBill, A.C.T., HANKG and 1 other said thanks

#14 Doxey OFFLINE  

Doxey
  • Member No: 48959
  • 122 Thanks
  • 93 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 07:44 PM

I have 3 snappers.  Two old ones like the one you have pictured,  and one newer one with the oblong steering wheel.  My older ones have bicycle handle bars.  I tried to put a regular steering wheel on an old one, and it would jerk side to side.  Very hard to hold straight.  Put the old bars back on.  Be sure you check that one out, because it looks like it has a newer steering wheel on it.  Around here they go for 175 to 350.  Very fun to ride.  Hope every thing goes well for you.

Edited by Doxey, July 02, 2014 - 08:11 PM.

#15 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 02:35 PM

tried to post pics not working sorry

Edited by Oldford, July 03, 2014 - 02:53 PM.