Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

What Is The Dumbest Thing You've Ever Done While Mowing On Your Gt?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,940 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 07:49 PM

"You ought to have seen that deck swell, folks.  I started out with a 44'' and ended up with a 72''."

And this is where I put on the rubber boots. :rolling:

• KennyP, David Brown, dropped82 and 1 other said thanks

#17 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 08:00 PM

Not me but my wife.  She was working at a golf course I was the mechanic for back in the early 1990.

She was mowing fairways and the very cordial course owner was out playing a round with some friends.  He saw my wife mowing and waved at her.  She waved back and lost track of where she was,  Drove the mower into a sand bunker and instead of just shutting off or picking up the reels she let them run in the sand for way too long.

The owner must not have noticed and just continued to play.  Had to pull the mower out with a tractor and spend several hours repairing and sharpening the reels.

Edited by GTTinkerer, July 01, 2014 - 08:00 PM.

• David Brown, dropped82 and superaben have said thanks

#18 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 10:33 PM

"You ought to have seen that deck swell, folks.  I started out with a 44'' and ended up with a 72''."

And this is where I put on the rubber boots. :rolling:

You think I'm messing with you, but the only reason that it is back to a 44'' now is because I repainted it.  The turpentine in the paint sucked the poison right out of the deck and it shrunk so fast it looked like a rubber band snapping back. 

Thank goodness I had taken the 72'' blades off, otherwise they would have looked like an accordion. 

Now try on your hip waders and see how they fit.

Ben W.

• KennyP, HDWildBill, David Brown and 1 other said thanks

#19 Littledeere ONLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 11:03 PM

You think I'm messing with you, but the only reason that it is back to a 44'' now is because I repainted it.  The turpentine in the paint sucked the poison right out of the deck and it shrunk so fast it looked like a rubber band snapping back. 

Thank goodness I had taken the 72'' blades off, otherwise they would have looked like an accordion. 

Now try on your hip waders and see how they fit.

Ben W.

Looks like you may need to change the name Ben {Old Pathes Equipment and Fertilizer Company}

• KennyP, HDWildBill, David Brown and 2 others have said thanks

#20 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 04:39 PM

Looks like you may need to change the name Ben {Old Pathes Equipment and Fertilizer Company}

Yep, we do grow 'em tall around here.  :rolling:

Ben W.

• dropped82 said thank you

#21 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 04:54 PM

Yep, we do grow 'em tall around here.  :rolling:

Ben W.

I knew I smelled something when I was up there.

#22 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,572 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 04:56 PM

I guess the dumbest thing I've ever done while mowing is forget to turn the deck on!!!!!  Just going on with my mind & deck off!  Least I didn't go too far that way!  :smilewink:

• GTTinkerer, dropped82 and superaben have said thanks

#23 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 05:00 PM

No GT stories but I got one from mowing roads for the township.  We have a Ford 6610 with a side mount Tiger flail mower on it.  I was driving along making my second pass on a road last year that parallels the railroad bed when the mower hit something and within a second went from chugging along to stalling the 70HP tractor running it.  Restarted the tractor and picked the mower up to find about 40 feet of 3/4" galvanized guide rail cable wound up in the head of the flail mower.  Had to call the guy I work with to get a cut off grinder as there was another 200 feet attached that didn't wrap itself up in the mower.  Once I got back to the shed it took me 2 hours to detangle that mess.  I checked when I went back to finish that road and there is a stretch of it laying over the edge of the road in the grass for about 1500 feet.  I am VERY CAREFUL when I mow that road now!

Edited by IHCubGuy, July 02, 2014 - 05:02 PM.

#24 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 06:58 PM

We have a waterway ditch. The dirt goes up on one side to make a mound and a flat field on the other. I tried to straddle it on the 345. A 48" deck, and the one tire on the mound, another in the field. The tires in the field slipped into the ditch, shut the deck right off, lifted it up, and tried to drive out. No go, I was stuck. Tried to push it myself. Got a few inches, and then it just went deeper. Went to the shed and found a 2x4, put one end under the tire, and the other on top of the mound, somehow I wiggled myself out. Never did I tell anyone. 

Otherwise I don't do too bad on the mower. Mostly just getting stuck. Now there are plenty of other interesting ones with other tools. Ever try to kill a rabbit with a tomato stake? 

#25 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 06:42 PM

I probably have done plenty but a couple stick out in my mind. The day I got my MF12 I was loading it on a little tilt bed trailer the po had. It tilted up fine but decided to fall before the rear wheels got on it. The trailer levered the tractor into a vertical position on my back. Somehow I kept the tractor standing straight up in the air like that with my legs holding it from going on over on me as the po and his wife grabbed the tractor and I was able to crawl out from under it.

Last Sunday I was mowing, the first day with no rain in quite a while. The grass had probably gotten 8" tall in some places. The MF 12 was cutting along fine in the back yard so I was thinking about a different project. Next thing I knew I was getting wet and the mower lugged to a stop and killed the engine before I could disengage the blades. I had driven into a low spot that had 5 or 6" of standing water in it. Water doesn't cut well. It fired right back up and drove out without the blades spinning but it sure caught me off guard! My yard looks flat but there are a lot of small rises and dips.

DAC