Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

What Is The Dumbest Thing You've Ever Done While Mowing On Your Gt?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,137 Thanks
  • 2,269 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 10:36 AM

I don't know what made me think of this today but I figured I would post it while it was fresh on my mind.  Goes under the "beat that" banner.  This is not a "hold my beer and watch this" thread but rather an honest accident where nobody got hurt (I hope).  Here's mine.

I was out mowing on my Power King about 15 years ago or so.  Just mowing along, happy as can be when I heard FOOF!  I wasn't sure what I hit until I turned around and saw the confetti flying through the air.  I immediately reached to my back pocket and I didn't feel my wallet.  Then I noticed the crumped and torn piece of leather laying in the yard with the pieces of it's contents quietly settling back down to the earth.  Yep, I mowed over my wallet.  My driver's license (which at this point I didn't figure I deserved) was in around 80 pieces.  When I went to the DMV to get a new one they asked me to see the old one.  I had it with me in a bag so I took it out and dumped the pieces on the counter.  The lady looked and just said "Oh".  Hey, beats trying to explain it.  Amazingly, my social security card was in tact.  I'm glad because those are a real pain to get a replacement.

OK, you get the picture, now lets hear yours.  Moral of my story is, obviously, never mow with your wallet in your pocket.  So, beat that!

• Alc, IamSherwood, KennyP and 9 others have said thanks

#2 Alc OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,291 Thanks
  • 6,494 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 10:48 AM

Can't really think of anything right now while mowingr but if you ask " what's the dumbest thing you ever did while trying to remove a 2nd floor window air conditioner "  then I have one .

• Bruce Dorsi, KennyP, tinbender7 and 8 others have said thanks

#3 UncleWillie ONLINE  

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,485 Thanks
  • 7,627 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 11:15 AM

I was zipping along on the Hemorrhoid and I decided to mow a patch of grass that we had not been mowing. I plowed into it and there was a horrible bang and the motor shut off. I disengaged the blades and tried to back it out and it wouldn't move. Steph brought the truck over and dragged me out, only I had an extra piece. An 8 foot long piece of garage door track. It was wedged into the center blade and had bent the right side blade. Took me 30 minutes to get it out then I had to replace the blades.

• MH81, Alc, IamSherwood and 9 others have said thanks

#4 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

• Member No: 14008
  • 5,536 Thanks
  • 3,073 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 12:44 PM

Mine is similar to yours Willie, and it just happened this past week. I was mowing along the edge of the road into our place and feeling kind of blue because mowing was one of the things Olde Deere#1 always enjoyed doing. He had left a big tuft of grass on the far outside edge of the ditch, uncharacteristic of him, so I went to clip it off--- it was on top of the culvert that goes under the road! The front wheel of the STX38 hit the culvert and I managed to stomp on the clutch before it tipped over on me, but there's a dandy notch on the culvert and I don't think the mower blade will ever be the same again, lol. On the bright side, I've never changed a mower blade before, and as soon as the holiday weekend is over I'll go into town, buy a new one and learn how to do the job. "Olde dog", new trick, steep learning curve, but I'll get'er done!
  • MH81, Alc, IamSherwood and 6 others have said thanks

#5 Jack OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9304
  • 1,124 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 01:01 PM

Well I have a couple good ones to tell. The first one was many years ago at one of my first jobs.
About 1977 I think. I was working at a Ford dealer in Oxford Ohio as a lot tech. I did everything from cleaning and prepping new cars to mowing etc. The owner showed up one afternoon with a brand new Cub Cadet push mower. He asked me to gas it up and go out and mow the strip out front by the road. So I did just that. I had not been mowing five minutes when I hit a piece of two inch pipe sticking up out of the ground. The mower stopped dead. I restarted it and it vibrated so bad you could not hold on to it. I thought it was kinda funny however the owner didn't share my view on that. He never asked me to mow again. And my last screw up was last year. My wife bought me a brand new 100 foot water hose for fathers day. I had been using patched up ones for years because I was to cheap to by a good one. I had it stretched around the house to do something and forgot to hang it up. I then started to mow and
proceeded to cut my hose in half and wad it up under the deck. It was not a good day. She did however buy me another one.

Edited by Jack, June 30, 2014 - 01:03 PM.

• Alc, IamSherwood, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#6 Username OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,064 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 01:21 PM

I was mowing with a 1655 MF while the dog kept following me and the next time up backed up I went up over the dog and his head went under the deck and I heard a little thud.I thought the worst but only ended up cutting off his ear.He still continued following me even directly after the incident so I kept him locked up in the garage when I did my mowing afterwards.

I again was on the 1655 mowing close to the 30 foot row of blueberries that were covered with a net.It took a fraction of a second to remove the net from the blueberries and about an hour to remove it from the blades.

• MH81, Alc, IamSherwood and 9 others have said thanks

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,418 Thanks
  • 4,883 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 01:40 PM

This was the worst one I have done recently...or that I can remember. 

I was cutting our yard last year, peach tree had low hanging limbs from all the peaches. One limb was actually touching the ground. I was cutting around it, and from tire kind caught limb. I figured "Oh well, tire would just run over it" so I kept going. Must've been the angle, next thing I know the tire pulled the limb down farther and a larger piece that had been cut off previously went through the grill of my recently repaired Sears Suburban grill blowing it back apart  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:

Worst ever though I think was cutting grass on a hill sideways with dad's AC HB212 with low oil in 1990, snapped rod & tore up governor. Hasn't ran since. 

• Alc, KennyP, HDWildBill and 5 others have said thanks

#8 larrybl ONLINE  

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,781 Thanks
  • 3,245 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 02:31 PM

Back when we first moved on to our Texas property (1989 or so) and before I trimmed the lower branches on the mesquete trees, I had an old Monkey Wards 12hp rider, the first rider I owned that I would leave in 2nd gear and jump off the seat (did I mention it was a low back seat) and let the rider go under / through the mesquete and I would catch up on the other side and hop back on. This was about the same time the "restore" bug hit me. I tore the little mower apart and replaced bushings, blades, and painted it, Did I mention I replaced the low back seat, which was pretty much riped to shreds, with a new Hi-back boat seat. Then comes the day I was cutting grass with the newly restored rider and was approaching the Mesquete trees (Nope haven't trimmed the branches yet) I shift to 2nd and proceeded to (TRY) and slide off the back of the seat. I went about 1/2 way in before I could clutch it to a stop. Couldn't really shift into reverse because it was like plowing into a thorn bush with 2" thorns that grabbed every part of my body. After getting un-tangled, and patch up, I went and bought the biggest pair of branch lopers I could afford. To this day I still get flats mowing around those trees, and have restorted to push mowing a large circle under each of them allowing me a wide berth when riding. 

• Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 8 others have said thanks

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,676 Thanks
  • 4,222 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 06:21 PM

I was mowing our back yard with a beat-up, wore-out Snapper Comet.

I was headed up a small grade and the forward movement stopped, so I figured it was in too high of a gear and the wheel was slipping off the edge of the big disc on the engine.

Well, as I was about to move the lever to a lower gear position, the darn thing took off.....straight up in the air.....Quite a good wheelie, but went ahead over backwards.

My wife looks out the back door and said, "What are you doing?"

I'm picking myself up and turning the Snapper over onto the rubber and said, "I'm changing oil, what's it look like!"

I wasn't hurt, and the Snapper fired right up and I continued to finish mowing.

I had many, many more incidents with this old mower, but this is the only story I want to share.

• MH81, Alc, IamSherwood and 8 others have said thanks

#10 BigFlash OFFLINE  

• Member No: 7324
  • 144 Thanks
  • 81 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 07:14 PM

Mulched and bagged a cell phone, The first hint was a thud that sounded just like i hit a stick, and i thought to myself hmm, i didn't see a stick in front of me, second hint came when i was emptying the bagger and found some interesting peices of black plastic.

• Alc, KennyP, HDWildBill and 7 others have said thanks

#11 Cat385B ONLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,337 Thanks
  • 8,683 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 08:49 PM

Do not attempt to prune dead branches off from pine trees by snapping them off. Especially when going under them while mowing. That cost me a two foot tall shrub. I was impressed the JD got up and over it, ate it, and kept going without me.
  • IamSherwood, KennyP, David Brown and 4 others have said thanks

#12 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 09:04 PM

I chased a copperhead once on a zero turn.  I saw him going across the yard, and I thought that I could probably get a tire on top of him and hold him down for a bit of an interesting biological scientific classification. 

So I turned off the blades and proceeded to chase a snake across an area about the size of a large room.  That zero turn was really working to keep up with his wiggles.  I could get a tire on him, but he would wiggle and skip his way out. 

Perseverance might have been one of my traits on that day.  I was chasing him and really having a blast until the stupid reptile jumped on top the deck and then decided to pay a social call around my legs.  Thank God that it decided to go off the other side instead of getting very intimate with me. 

I said enough was a enough and hit the PTO.

There were snake parts everywhere.

The interesting thing was, as I scraped up the pieces, that I could not find his head.  I looked and I looked.

Then I did find it. 

It was latched onto a portion of the deck.  No joke here.

I guess the reflexes allowed it to try to poison steel.

You ought to have seen that deck swell, folks.  I started out with a 44'' and ended up with a 72''.

Ben W.

• olcowhand, Alc, IamSherwood and 8 others have said thanks

#13 dropped82 OFFLINE  

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,333 Thanks
  • 1,191 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 10:30 PM

I was out mowing one day when I heard a loud noise. With the pto belt burning I shut everything down. Looked underneath to find a tomato cage I obviously didn't see. Took me 45 minutes to remove it and about 3 seconds to chuck it across the yard with a little anger. Then,......the next week was a repeat on the other side of my yard. Apparentely once wasn't enough. This time it cost me new blades. That Case deck wrapped that cage around it like a string. Those things really blend in to the ground.

Edited by dropped82, June 30, 2014 - 10:30 PM.

• Alc, IamSherwood, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#14 LilysDad OFFLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,232 Thanks
  • 7,465 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 06:57 AM

Dumbest thing I've done? . . . on a mower?  I'm a professional. Never happens!

You know, I have a certain reputation to maintain on this forum.

• David Brown, superaben and Bob IN have said thanks

#15 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,048 Thanks
  • 4,978 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 08:03 AM

My grandparents on my Dad's side had a large yard, with a large hill on it.  I was 18 and took over cutting the grass for extra money.

I decided to try going up the hill instead of going down it...seemed like a waste of time to cut down, go around the hill, cut down, go around the hill cut down...

So I started up.  Chains slipped once, caught traction, the tractor reared up, I bailed, the tractor cart wheeled to the bottom completely destroying the entire thing. 

Lesson learned.

• Alc, David Brown, dropped82 and 1 other said thanks