• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • Member No: 10485
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 10:23 AM

I bought a Cub Cadet 2145 this year to only cut grass at the farm. I can hear the blades slowing when I mow. It started when I cut long grass. Yesterday, it got worse as I mowed, so that any grass slowed it down, and the blades were slow to come to speed sitting on pavement.

I am inclined to replace the PTO, but I don't want to make a $200 guess.
How do I know if it is definitely the PTO? Will it slip when off, like on my IH Cubs?

Two things that trouble me. First, I had a 20 amp fuse holder melted last weekend, but I am not sure which fuse it was and I am away from the farm until Friday. That fuse was affecting the starter, it wouldn't start until I fixed it. Second, it looks like I have or had an oil leak at the bottom of the dipstick tube. On this 14 horsepower Onan, the dipstick is right next to the pto. It looks like there is oil on the back of the PTO.

Without loosing fingers, how do I tell if my pto is worn out, oil on the pulley making it slip, a electrical problem, or a belt or pulley somewhere else?
If the pto doesn't get enough voltage, will it slip, or not engage at all?
Anything else I should know, or look for?

Thanks
Jason

#2 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • Member No: 10485
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 10:26 AM

Here all the pics I have on hand.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404141888.941966.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404141918.508861.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404141952.682660.jpg

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 03:45 PM

I would start by making sure you have at least 12volts on the clutch when it's engaged. If the clutch or pulley are oiled then clean them up before trying it again. The belt may need cleaning as well. You might also want to try turning all the blades/spindles in the deck to make sure they are free and inspect all pulleys and idlers to make sure they are aligned properly and tight on their shafts etc.