12 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12382
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 06:53 AM

Finally got my Empire Model X done and after running it around the yard for a week or two declare it fit for the first show which was the Kawarthia Antique Power show in Lindsay.I got to tell you for the first 5 minutes it was great started and ran perfect, then about lunch a small group asked if it still run. You know how it is , of course the spark had died ! Took it home and Sunday morning replaced the condenser should make it a plan to do it on a regular base when the flywheel is off since they are 10 bucks and 70 years old.One good thing came out of it the gentleman said do you want another Empire ? Long story short it was only 3 miles away with decent wheels on it and I had been there about 20 years ago and thought everything was gone.After all the trouble I went through ordering rims,tires and tubes spares were only 3 miles away and I had been driving past them all this time.Well you know how it is. So brought it and a Bolens B6A home,the Empire I went right at freed the shifter ,engine and transmission up. Pressure washed and made a list of missing parts,it is inside after a long period resting outside and work is proceeding nicely. Might have to put a " night shift " on to keep apace with Mark ! Thanks to Mr. Andrews and his Family for telling me about this tractor. Cheers Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20140628_130836.jpg
  • IMG_20140628_150842.jpg
  • IMG_20140628_150903.jpg
  • IMG_20140628_150919.jpg

• olcowhand, MH81, Alc and 5 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 07:09 AM

Murphy's law, tractor style.
Had a 725 do that to me.

#3 crittersf1 ONLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 07:23 AM

Love the sickle mower in the background!

#4 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 07:28 AM

My Pond does that every time.  I'll start it in the first crank to go to a show and even to get it off the trailer.  It never fails, I go to start it for a group of people that want to see it run and it won't go.  I crank and crank until I just can't crank anymore.  Once the last person leaves, it fires right up.  I'm not sure what I ever did to it.

Edited by David Brown, June 30, 2014 - 07:28 AM.

• MH81, pigsitter and HANKG have said thanks

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 08:10 AM

Congrats on the new tractors. They both have great looking tires on them. 

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 08:29 AM

My Pond does that every time.  I'll start it in the first crank to go to a show and even to get it off the trailer.  It never fails, I go to start it for a group of people that want to see it run and it won't go.  I crank and crank until I just can't crank anymore.  Once the last person leaves, it fires right up.  I'm not sure what I ever did to it.

Instead of "My Pond" or "The Pond", try "Mr. Pond" or something else with a little more respect in it. :poke:
  • David Brown, pigsitter and superaben have said thanks

#7 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 10:27 AM

Pond, James Pond, now all you need is a secret agent number   :smilewink:

• MH81 said thank you

#8 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,675 Thanks
  • 7,689 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 05:11 PM

Pond, James Pond, now all you need is a secret agent number   :smilewink:

This is where I would use an eye roll smilie.

What engine is on the Empire X?

#9 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 06:43 PM

I like the looks of those wheels, reminds me of a model 50 or 60 deere tractor.

#10 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 07:34 AM

The engine is a 1945 Briggs model B, it was seized when I got it so after squirting some oil in the tiny spark plug hole I try to turn it gently with a small pipe wrench and it came free but hung up in certain spots. I removed the head and everything was perfect so removed the engine and put it upside down on the work bench for a better look. I was surprised to find the engine had both a oil pump and a dipper on the con rod, the reason for the engine binding became clear the oil pump plunger had fell out of the body when it was installed and was up against the cam.The body of the pump was split and ruined but the steel plunger is fine.

Worse was the fact the engine crank was too short to couple to the input shaft of the transmission either it was cut for some reason or this is a different engine. I do remember reading that Briggs was switching engines from the pump to the dipper in later years so the dipper should work fine. I probably need to find a Briggs expert as the Empire empire engines all had a long crank and some Briggs I see seem to be shorter. I have a spare engine and am going at the wreck full speed with any luck might have it mobile  a week. Cheers Mike

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner and LilysDad have said thanks

#11 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 07:43 PM

Well it is a long way from done but with the original repaired engine from the first Empire it now runs,and the transmission works , I picked up a Wisconsin fuel tank from the local salvage yard and with a REO fuel cap we are in business again. A 2 x 4 subsitutied for a missing handle and no throttle yet but just one spring for the drive dog and it should be moblie for the first time in years. At least it is inside and I can finish it more as time goes on.A control rod taken from a snow blower puts it in and out of gear.Cheers Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• Empire 1.jpg
  • Empire 2.jpg

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#12 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 08:27 PM

You are making great progress!  I may need to turn on the afterburners to get mine done before you.  You, at least, have a running engine.

#13 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 07:29 AM

With so many parts missing I won,t paint this one even the grease cups had been removed so I put cheap grease fittings in their place just to lube it. I think your paint jobs are the best I have ever seen on any two wheeler,any more shows for you ?