• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dharris OFFLINE  

dharris
  • Member No: 59540
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 05:37 AM

I need help in finding all of the safety switch locations. One or more is out of place and the mower will not even turn over.

• A.C.T. said thank you

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 06:39 AM

:welcometogttalk: :wewantpics:

#3 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 07:32 AM

I am not sure if the manual shows where they are, I haven't looked at it recently.  There is one here for downloading though.  Also, I know if you make sure it is in neutral and lock the brake, with the little thing in front of the seat, I can start mine even if I am not sitting on it with the clutch/brake pedal down.  Perhaps this feature bypasses the safety switches? 

I hit something that stalled it recently while mowing.  I moved the blade engage lever down and it still wouldn't even click.  I thought that the chicken wire thing I had run over maybe ripped a wire off a safety switch.  we pushed it back to the house to work on it.  The next day, I took the battery out and charged it.  Turns out it was just the battery.  If you start it and take off mowing, that electric blade clutch takes a lot of electric to run and doesn't give the battery time to charge. I need to remember to drive it around some, without mowing, just to keep the battery charged.

• HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 07:44 AM

http://gardentractor...42-s1742-s2046/

link to manual

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,779 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 09:04 AM

Welcome to GTT. Good Luck, Rick

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 09:21 AM

Welcome to GTtalk.  There should be 2 safety switches, a Seat switch is usually located under the seat and the PTO switch.  Like Robert_P43 said if you engage the parking brake it and make sure the PTO is in the off position then the tractor should at least turn over.  If it won't turn over then you need to start troubleshooting the electrical start system.  Let us know what you find.

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 09:24 AM

I am not sure if the manual shows where they are, I haven't looked at it recently.  There is one here for downloading though.  Also, I know if you make sure it is in neutral and lock the brake, with the little thing in front of the seat, I can start mine even if I am not sitting on it with the clutch/brake pedal down.  Perhaps this feature bypasses the safety switches? 

I hit something that stalled it recently while mowing.  I moved the blade engage lever down and it still wouldn't even click.  I thought that the chicken wire thing I had run over maybe ripped a wire off a safety switch.  we pushed it back to the house to work on it.  The next day, I took the battery out and charged it.  Turns out it was just the battery.  If you start it and take off mowing, that electric blade clutch takes a lot of electric to run and doesn't give the battery time to charge. I need to remember to drive it around some, without mowing, just to keep the battery charged.

Robert, have you checked your charging system?  If the charging system is working correctly and you have a good battery you should be able to mow all day long. 

• robert_p43 said thank you

#8 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 08:50 PM

Well, "a good battery" could be my problem.  I have a cheap battery that goes dead easily.  It is also a low cranking amp battery. If it is fully charged, and the mower gets started often enough so that the mower starts right up without a lot of cranking, I don't have a problem all season.