• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 05:44 PM

Saw an ad for 2004 Murray 21/46 garden tractor with a "stuck deck". I went there and it was a good running 21 V twin B&S with 5 speed manual. The 23/9.50/12rear tires 6.50/16/8 fronts still had the nipples on them. It has obviously sat or years, the fuel and vacuum lines were leaking severely. The air filter was missing and the oil had small amounts of water in it. The paint, wheels and tires look like new. I made him an offer and brought it home. No idea why I bought it. I changed he fuel lines and the oil, still have to get a fuel pump vacuum hose and air filter element. Not sure if I'm going to keep it or get the deck straight and sell it. Quality is similar to my Wizard and other 90's AYP tractors. I'll post some pics soon. For he record, I paid $100.

Edited by toppop52, June 29, 2014 - 05:52 PM.

• MH81, trowel, tinbender7 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 05:50 PM

Saw an ad for 2004 Murray 21/46 garden tractor with a "stuck deck". I went there and it was a good running 21 V twin B&S with 5 speed manual. The 23/9.50/12rear tires 6.50/16/8 fronts still had the nipples on them. It has obviously sat or years, the fuel and vacuum lines were leaking severely. The air filter was missing and the oil had small amounts of water in it. The paint, wheels and tires look like new. I made him an offer and brought it home. No idea why I bought it. I changed he fuel lines and the oil, still have to get a fuel pump vacuum hose and air filter element. Not sure if I'm going to keep it or get the deck straight and sell it. Quality is similar to my Wizard and other 90's AYP tractors. I'll post some pics soon. For he record, I paid $100.

:wtf: really ! we should band you from the fourm forever,....

Anyways, cool, nice snatch up.

• tinbender7 said thank you

#3 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 05:57 PM

I'm not in the habit of quoting myself, but sometimes I say someting tht really impresses me! ;)
LOL I fixed it.

Edited by toppop52, June 29, 2014 - 05:57 PM.

• trowel and tinbender7 have said thanks

#4 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 08:27 PM

This thing has a manual clutch for deck engagement, cheap and effective I guess, they were used for years, but I haven't seen a garden tractor without electric clutch in many years.

#5 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 08:41 PM

Got the Murray running good and changed the fuel filter, drove it around some, seems nice and tight. Still haven't decided what I'm going to do with it.

#6 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 10:22 PM

Got the Murray running good and changed the fuel filter, drove it around some, seems nice and tight. Still haven't decided what I'm going to do with it.

If ya got it running good, sell it for a quick profit!  I see them on craig's list round here for $3-400 all the time.

• toppop52 said thank you

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 10:31 PM

They are not all bad. I have a Murray Rail Frame 22hp with briggs and 52 inch deck and other than belts and a fuel shut off valve has served me well for the last 4 yrs.. It has been beat badly including shredding a corn field. Mowinng weeds over my head and never burned a drop of oil It has a home as long as it keeps running.
  • toppop52 said thank you

#8 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 06:23 AM

It actually feels solid, it's a very basic garden tractor, there were a few attachments available, according to the sticker, besides the deck there was a 46" blade, a 42" snow blower, a sleeve hitch and that's about it. It has manual engagement clutch, which isn't all bad,and an all steel hood, flimsy though it may be. The 5 speed manual is a little stiff shifting but I think that's from sitting, the compression release is not working sometimes so I assume a sticking valve as I get minor backfire some, or I did, that has about cleared up and I haven't tried to start it anymore so the compression release may be ok now. If not I'll adjust the valves or fix the sticky one or whatever.