14 replies to this topic

#1 BigSteve63 OFFLINE  

BigSteve63

• Member No: 1943
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted January 30, 2011 - 06:37 PM

Hello,

Just found this site and I am very happy to find others who appreciate these older machines. I have a 1968 B-210 that has been in my family just under 40 years. It was a weekly mower and at one time was a pulling machine. It was painted a bright yellow when it was a puller, but I am thinking of taking it back to original colors. I know I can get replacement decals, but wanted to get opinions from folks here. Would you replace, or tape off and keep the originals? Most are in OK shape, given their age.

The engine has been rebuilt about 10 years ago, but hasn't been started in a couple of years. Any suggestions before just trying to fire it off?

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted January 30, 2011 - 07:51 PM

Welcome to the Forum!

I would say it all depends on your personal preference if you want to replace or keep the original Decals.
If I were doing a repaint I would probably go ahead and replace the decals.

As for the engine Just make sure there are no mouse nests or obstructions. Hopefully there is no gas in the tank. If there is there is a good shot that the carb and tank may need to be cleaned.

#3 BigSteve63 OFFLINE  

BigSteve63

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted January 30, 2011 - 09:53 PM

I did drain the tank, but I think there is enough rust in the tank to warrant a cleaning. I have been told that one of our local motorcycle shops has a cleaner/sealant that can be used to remedy this. I grew up on this tractor and my mother mowed with up until a few years ago. Every thing is pretty much original, missing a couple of captive nuts for the hood and part of the hitch mechanism- but, I may still find them in Mom's shed.

Have the original manual to this machine if anyone is interested, I'll try to post it up.

BTW - Thanks for the welcome; I think I'm really going to enjoy it here!

#4 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 650
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted January 30, 2011 - 10:11 PM

If you replace the decals, check that the replacements are the same. I don't know about the Bolens but I just bought a complete set for my massey mf10 only to find out my older mf10 didn't use half of them to start with, and some of the one's I did need were of a different style.

#5 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,626 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted January 30, 2011 - 11:04 PM

:welcometogttalk:

Once you get new paint on something, those fourty year old decals will look bad even if they look decent before the paintjob. BTDT
GOOD LUCK with whatever you decide.

:wave:

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 05:33 AM

BigSteve63:welcometogttalk:glad to have you with us.
  • BigSteve63 said thank you

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 08:57 PM

BigSteve63, :welcome: to GTTALK.

I have an older (B112) Allis and decided to leave her original. Sometimes seeing them in "Just Used" condition is more of a show stopper.

#8 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 10:50 PM

Good to have you here, BigSteve63. Several knowledgeable guys here to help you out.

#9 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted February 01, 2011 - 09:05 AM

:welcome: to the group BigSteve63! It would be cool to have that tractor with your family history with it. If I was going to repaint I would seriously consider new decals. As has been said new paint will make old not bad looking decals seem out of place and working around taped off decals is a lot of work in itself. There is also something to be said to keep it as it is now, with it's character and history intact.

#10 BigSteve63 OFFLINE  

BigSteve63

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted February 01, 2011 - 10:50 PM

Thanks to all of you for the welcome! As stated, this little tractor has been with us for a while. We had an older one - don't recall the model, I think it was an 8 hp. The old man wanted to be a little more "competitive" when it came to the pulls. This little Allis won about 80% of the pulls it entered, mainly in the 750 and 1100 pound classes (I was a LOT smaller then). Lots of fun competing- my Grandad had a couple of Cubs that we went neck and neck with. Some days, I still expect him to pop in when I'm tinkering on the tractor - just to "make sure" that there is no "cheating" going on. I will try to post up a couple of pics of the tractor if guys promise not to make fun of the clutter in the shop. Will be home tomorrow since we had about 20" of snow and a couple of inches of sleet today!

#11 BigSteve63 OFFLINE  

BigSteve63

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted February 02, 2011 - 02:28 PM

Pics of my tractor. Have recently rebuilt the mower deck with new mandrels and sealed bearings. Original paint under deck plates is in pretty good shape to match. Will probably repaint tractor to original color, although I still kind of like the bright yellow. Engine is in good shape and has new governor installed. Sometimes get a growl when you shift gears, but otherwise runs and drives around great. May need to adjust clutch travel to allow easier gear changes. Variable speed works great - this was the secret to a lot of the success in the pulls; you could speed up or slow down the rear wheels to suit the condition of the track or if you were starting to spin out...

DSC04106.jpg Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC04107.jpg
  • DSC04108.jpg

#12 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 02, 2011 - 02:49 PM

That's a good looking tractor.

#13 Bolens 853 OFFLINE  

Bolens 853

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1950
  • 4 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted February 02, 2011 - 02:56 PM

:ditto: That is a nice looking Allis

#14 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 02, 2011 - 06:41 PM

:wave: BigSteve63 Welcome to GTTalk! That's a great looking Allis! Thanks for the pics...and you call that clutter LOL! My shop is far worse than that! I think that it looks good the way that it is, but it's yours, so make you happy and share the pics when you're done! It's great to have you here and we all hope that you enjoy the site.

#15 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted February 04, 2011 - 08:59 AM

Thanks for the pictures BigSteve! Your Allis looks to be in very nice shape, a nice straight tractor. What ever you decide to do with it the main thing is to have fun with it.