• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 02:02 PM

I bought this to replace my MTD LT for mowing purposes. Needs an engine, it smokes like a coal locomotive right now. But the MTD had the same engine and ran fine. So the swap will begin.

Image001.jpg

I also have a good deck to put under it as this one is WARPED!

• tinbender7, New.Canadian.DB.Owner, Gabriel and 1 other said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 02:17 PM

That deck looks messed up but the rest of it other than the seat looks pretty good. Are you doing the swap now or lining this up for a winter project. 

• KennyP and tinbender7 have said thanks

#3 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 02:17 PM

I just got done watching my boy mow mom's with that same machine. Tough as nails. Bought it used years ago, been mowing 2 1/2-3 acres ever since. Last summer did a little refurb on it. The bent part at the discharge is common. Fixed mom's with a piece of 1/2 inch rebar bent to match outside of deck and welded in. Check the front axle, they are stamped and will wear to the point of tire making contact with deck. Easy fix with a couple of washers welded in. Good luck.

• KennyP and tinbender7 have said thanks

#4 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 03:50 PM

That deck looks messed up but the rest of it other than the seat looks pretty good. Are you doing the swap now or lining this up for a winter project. 

It will be a soon type of put it to work! Grass is growing wild around here! I have another just like it in back, so parts are not an issue! Plus the MTD engine is the same, just different mufflers!

#5 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 08:46 AM

I have basically the same tractor, except mine is just the "gold" and I have shifter in the middle. I got it free with a rod knocking, swapped in a 14 Hp motor and have beat the snout out of it. Mows regularly and I used to use mount snow blower on it in the winters.

Starting to show worse for wear, but been a decent LT for me.

I just had to weld frame right above axle pocket, be sure to check that. This is the second Craftsman LT that has cracked there.

That mowing deck sure got hammered on!

• KennyP said thank you

#6 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 07:33 AM

You guys that have these tractors to they mow level?

I remember back in 1994 Dad went to sears and bought a brand new sears LT.  I don't remember what model, looked basically like that.  I think it was a 38" cut. 

Anyway, he bought it, took it home cut the grass, and everytime you cut the wheels it would gouge the yard.  Slow as you could go, or as fast as you could go or anywhere inbetween it would gouge to the point it shot out dirt.  Sears came out and looked at it, adjusted the deck, same, then dad got mad loaded it in his truck and returned it.

• KennyP said thank you

#7 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 03:51 AM

I remember back in 1994 Dad went to sears and bought a brand new sears LT.  I don't remember what model, looked basically like that.  I think it was a 38" cut. 

Anyway, he bought it, took it home cut the grass, and everytime you cut the wheels it would gouge the yard.  Slow as you could go, or as fast as you could go or anywhere inbetween it would gouge to the point it shot out dirt.  Sears came out and looked at it, adjusted the deck, same, then dad got mad loaded it in his truck and returned it.

I haven't a clue on that as yet.

#8 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 07:42 AM

It's a constant battle, at least with both the ones I have. Tire pressure is a big thing on these LT's I have found, doesn't take much of a bent blade either to make gouge in grass. I just get it close and live with it, it's not too bad. They will did in on the sides as you commented, I cut a lot of hills so I get lines on every cut.

If I did my front yards with rider, then I would probably kick it to the curb. 

• KennyP and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#9 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 08:13 AM

It's a constant battle, at least with both the ones I have. Tire pressure is a big thing on these LT's I have found, doesn't take much of a bent blade either to make gouge in grass. I just get it close and live with it, it's not too bad. They will did in on the sides as you commented, I cut a lot of hills so I get lines on every cut.

If I did my front yards with rider, then I would probably kick it to the curb. 

Thanks for the information.

I was only 10 and I always wondered if his was a lemon or if this was routine on these tractors.  I do remember the awe of a brand new tractor.  This tractor actually replaced a sears LT/10.  I remember that tractor very sell, silver with red white and blue stripes.  I'll never forget it.  Dad bought that brand new craftsman in spring of 1994.  He cut with it once, had sears in home service come adjust it, and it did the same gouging routine.  I remember him loading it in his truck and "unloading it" with out ramps in the sears parking lot after a heated argument with the sears manager.  I remember sitting in the truck and the tractor came out with a shove and landed on its rear and fell on its side in the parking lot.  He did get his money back, but they never came to help him unload it, so he unloaded it for them.  Nothing was ever said about it.

My dad had a lot more of a temper 20 years ago.  After heart problems and high blood pressure he must of learned finally its best to calm down.  But we all have those moments where a temper flares and we go a bit nuts.

• KennyP said thank you

#10 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 07:28 AM

I got the engines swapped out. Drive belt needs replaced and brakes adjusted before a deck goes on it. The deck that came with it is bent very bad on the discharge side, but I have another. There is one new spindle on it, but it is locked up. I'll look into the why there. Hope to have it mowing this weekend.

• TAHOE said thank you

#11 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 06:37 PM

I looked up the belts for this(917.257641). Drive belt is #130801, sub to 532138255. It is 1/2" X 95.5". Mower belt is 130969 and is 1/2" X 92.5".

• Tecumseh power said thank you

#12 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted July 19, 2014 - 06:40 PM

Spent most of the day on the LT. Went to TSC for new belts. Got the drive belt on and brought the other deck up from the bone pile. After looking the two decks over, I decided to fix the bent spot on the original deck and use a spindle from the spare deck. Got that all done, put the deck under it and did a little mowing with it. It really is a quiet mower and did a decent job. I have to read how to level this deck up yet, saw nothing to adjust under there.

Image002.jpg

I mowed everything to the right of the fence line.

Image003.jpg

I had to take the nose section out to straighten the hinge rod.

Image004.jpg

Here's the old blades!

Image005.jpg

And the head light lens.

Image006.jpg

• Gabriel said thank you

#13 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 06:09 AM

Spent some time yesterday leveling the deck on this. Also got the nose piece back on. It's ready for duty as needed. Besides the Toro, I now have this, the JD 68, and the FF with decks. A mower in every size more or less.

• Gabriel said thank you

#14 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 767 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 10:46 PM

Kenny do you remember the two deck belt sizes? I just got one of these for free today

#15 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 04:12 AM

Kenny do you remember the two deck belt sizes? I just got one of these for free today

Look at post #11 above!