• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • Member No: 10485
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 01:12 PM

Last week i did brakes and oil changes on two cars, bought a new battery for the third. It was easy, but I hate working on gravel.

I keep two lawn tractors at the farm, since I only get there weekends, and can't afford to have down time. Three weeks ago, neither started. The Deere LT155 needed a battery, now it runs. It still has a broken muffler and dull blades, needs all new belts and idler pulleys, its loud but runs.
The Cub Cadet 2145 needed a fuse holder and fuse. I spent hours checking safeties until I found that, but got it fixed. I mowed for half an hour, then broke a tie rod end. I had a new one, but at home, not the farm.

Yesterday, i came up to the farm, and blew a tire on my Durango when I hit a stick in the dirt road just before the driveway. I went to the shop to get tools, and see the Ford 4610, the big tractor, has a flat rear tire! Its the same side that got a new tube this winter.

I tried to go to town yesterday in the Durango, and at the end of the road, the ac shut off and all the dummy lights lit. I thought it was the belt, but it wasn't. Before I got home, everything started working. I am hoping its the tensioner pulley that I have been ignoring.
  • JDBrian, sacsr, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and 4 others have said thanks

#2 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 01:30 PM

I feel you pain...That is the problem when we can't afford NEW stuff!

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner, WNYTractorTinkerer, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#3 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,115 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 01:40 PM

I can understand your pain, I seem to be similar trouble, with the garden tractors. I am not happy at all. Fixed up three tractors with different troubles with in the last two weeks. The three worked reasonable last week end cutting the grass at my land, so figured they would work this week with no trouble, yea right. More engine trouble in one and carb and other trouble in the other. Getting tired of trying to keep them going. Have other things I would like to do.  Sorry for the rant, but I am fed up.  Noel    

• JDBrian, tinbender7, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and 1 other said thanks

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 01:52 PM

Sorry to hear about your problems.
Been struggling with mechanicals myself.
  • JDBrian, tinbender7, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and 1 other said thanks

#5 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 01:54 PM

Now I think the electric PTO clutch is going bad in the Cub Cadet 2145. Did I mention I sold two working mowing tractors last week? There was a reason I had 5 mowers between two houses.
  • JDBrian, tinbender7, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#6 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 03:30 PM

I know what you mean. The bad thing is we are all so busy taking care of our families, working long hours, and trying to make our budgets work that managing all the other things become so difficult to manage.

My struggle has been home repairs. I am so over whelmed with that right now I want to scream. Every project I finish 5 more appear out of now where. I just finished lugging in and out a water heater. Thing was less than 5 years old.

All we can do is take a deep breath and keep pushing forward.

Edited by toomanytoys84, June 29, 2014 - 03:31 PM.

• sacsr, WNYTractorTinkerer, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,679 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 03:43 PM

. Fixed up three tractors with different troubles with in the last two weeks. The three worked reasonable last week end cutting the grass at my land, so figured they would work this week with no trouble, yea right.

Do you think if you put that much labor into one tractor, it would run like new all the time? Instead your jumping around putting band aids on all of them.

• GTTinkerer said thank you

#8 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 6,115 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 04:41 PM

Should sell them all and buy one tractor.  Noel

#9 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 07:29 PM

On a good note, I got the belt changed on my Craftsman walk behind tiller. I hardly had any extra parts, and only two fingers bled. It runs better now than when I bought it used 6 years ago.
  • KC9KAS, oldedeeres and propane1 have said thanks

#10 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,954 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 09:40 AM

yup, feel your pain. Still haven't pulled tranny from Tahoe that blew out in Good Friday. Wife's Jeep needs AC condenser put in and recharged. Son's new to him Bronco need radius arm bushings and rear main oil seal replaced and I had another LT go down and need to replaced steering gear on the church's JD rider. Just don;t have time to work on them all with the house remodel going on. 

• sacsr, oldedeeres and propane1 have said thanks

#11 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 10:43 AM

I feel you pain...That is the problem when we can't afford NEW stuff!

Your not talking to  a good salesman ,  a good one  will tell you that you can afford anything !!!!  lol

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#12 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,876 Thanks
  • 3,201 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 01:05 PM

I mean this in sympathy, not as a sexist comment, but I'm glad I'm a woman, and not "expected" to understand and be able to fix things mechanical. When things go wrong or don't work for me there's not the stress involved with that "head smack, I should have known how, should have foreseen, should be able to fix it" reaction that seems to go with being a guy. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you guys have all the responsibility and seem to beat yourselves up over things that just happen, Murphy's Law stuff. We're just the support team, and do the best we can to help. Frustrating as it is, stuff happens. Vent away, I understand.

• Alc, sacsr, Jack and 3 others have said thanks

#13 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 07:38 PM

Well, I got the tensioner, idler, and belt changed on the Durango. But... My wife says her Saturn leaked again in the rain. I thought I had that problem solved.
  • propane1 said thank you

#14 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 6,115 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 08:04 PM

Hope it turns out good for you, when you get to look at it again. Noel

#15 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,318 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 03:58 AM

Should sell them all and buy one tractor.  Noel

NO WAY!  Buy 4 more!!!  **WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU THINKING MAN!?!?!?!  :wallbanging:   (Just funnin' ya Noel!)

Blasphemy say I!!!!   :D  

We all have had 'those days'!!  

One step forward, 3 steps back.  All you can do is roll with it..  The Lord is just testing you through mechanical means is all.. :worshippy1:   

*Buy some goats!

• oldedeeres and propane1 have said thanks