• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 08:20 AM

I have been messing with a Clinton engine.

I didn't have spark, so I got a different condensor. I had a decent spark, but soon lost it.

I have checked the air gap on the coil/flywheel and it seem excessive, but the coil is bolted tight without adjustment.

The magnets are bolted to the flywheel....do I need to shim the magnets closer to the coil?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,767 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 08:28 AM

We have a bunch of Clinton Manuals in our Manuals Section. Have you tried them? Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, June 29, 2014 - 08:29 AM.

• KC9KAS said thank you

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 11:59 AM

Make sure your condenser is grounded well, and make sure your points are gapped correctly.  Make sure the wire lead from the condenser to the points is clean and tight.

Did you use a NOS condenser?  Sometimes its worth trying a second one, I sell 100's of NOS condensers, but occasionally (and very rarely, too) I will get one that is a dud. 

Ben W.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 01:23 PM

We have a bunch of Clinton Manuals in our Manuals Section. Have you tried them? Good Luck, Rick

Yes, but nothing for this particular model.

#5 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 01:28 PM

Make sure your condenser is grounded well, and make sure your points are gapped correctly.  Make sure the wire lead from the condenser to the points is clean and tight.

Did you use a NOS condenser?  Sometimes its worth trying a second one, I sell 100's of NOS condensers, but occasionally (and very rarely, too) I will get one that is a dud. 

Ben W.

The condenser was a new one for a Techy, but the guy at the L & G shop said it would work.......If I could get it mounted. It was much smaller than the one that was in it when I got it.....But it could have been a replacement too! The insulation on the wire was very brittle, so I figured it may be original.

Maybe that is the problem....it isn't mounted very well (poor ground maybe).

Ben, do you have the "correct" condenser? Give me a PM.

• superaben said thank you

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 04:29 PM

The guy at the shop was wrong.  What you need is a 7219 condenser.  He probably sold you a 30548 Tecumseh, it is listed in most books as fitting Clinton but it will not work for the older Clintons.

And I certainly do have them.

Ben W.

• Bolens 1000, drbish, trowel and 1 other said thanks

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 04:40 PM

The guy at the shop was wrong.  What you need is a 7219 condenser.  He probably sold you a 30548 Tecumseh, it is listed in most books as fitting Clinton but it will not work for the older Clintons.

Ben W.

And this is a perfect example of why everyone should buy from the site sponsors! :thumbs:

Most people working in modern shops have never seen or dealt with engines this old and all they have is a interchange system to go by which is not always correct! Takes someone who knows about old engines and has been there before, same with the Garden tractors themselves.

Edited by Bolens 1000, June 29, 2014 - 05:04 PM.

• drbish, trowel, KC9KAS and 2 others have said thanks

#8 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,159 Thanks
  • 1,161 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 06:08 PM

I put the IPL in the manuals section if you need it
http://gardentractor...le/4499-d-1100/
d1100.JPG

Edited by drbish, June 29, 2014 - 06:09 PM.

• trowel and superaben have said thanks

#9 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 06:15 PM

Ben W.

And this is a perfect example of why everyone should buy from the site sponsors! :thumbs:

Most people working in modern shops have never seen or dealt with engines this old and all they have is a interchange system to go by which is not always correct! Takes someone who knows about old engines and has been there before, same with the Garden tractors themselves.

:ditto:

:ditto:

• superaben said thank you