Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Anyone Still Use Or Have Cb's In Their Vehicle Or Home?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 10:03 AM

Some of the large farmers around here use them in the tractors to talk each other in the field, especially during harvest.

I still have mine but it sits in a closet collecting dust. I used to listen to trucks when I lived in the cities.

I have my Ham license. (KDOHCL) I sold my radio though when I got a little short on cash. Haven't bought another one in the last 3yrs.

sent from my telecomunication device, from the seat of my imaginary tractor, working my imaginary feilds.
  • daytime dave, Cvans and KC9KAS have said thanks

#17 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,653 Thanks
  • 8,527 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 10:25 AM

Back in the 60's my mother worked for a Vet who did a lot of horse and farm animal work.  He had a base station and a mobile radio in all his cars.  It seemed to me that every time I would go to her work there would be a new (More powerful radio there)  Every once in a while I would get to talk on it.  Then when the wife and I were first married we kept one in the car we used to take trips in so we could listen to the truckers and know of any problems up the road and the conditions on the road. 

Like KC9KAS I have one mounted on my bike.  It make it nice to be able to talk to another bike.  My club also uses them on our rides, they give the Road captain and tail gunner the ability to talk to one another and adds a safety net to a group ride.   It is also nice when your are riding in the pack to know what is going on. 

• daytime dave, Cvans and KC9KAS have said thanks

#18 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,048 Thanks
  • 4,979 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 10:26 AM

Our 2 GoldWing motorcycles have factory CB's and we use them all the time while riding.
Wife on the trike and I on the 2 wheeler.
We also use them when we are riding with our gang club! (Gold Wingers aren't gang related)

Many truckers now use amature radios (HAM radio), but you can tell the old truckers on the HAM radio with all the CB lingo...got your ears on good buddy!

I just realized your screen name is a call sign.

my grandfather wd8ppx. Ill never forget his as long as I live. I can still hear him my head. Whiskey delta 8 papa papa x ray...

my dads was ka8wyx.
  • daytime dave and JDBrian have said thanks

#19 Justin2655 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 11487
  • 204 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 12:35 PM

I didn't use to use them. Dad had one in his pickup a few years ago and now that I started a new job trucking I do now use a cb
  • daytime dave and Cvans have said thanks

#20 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,048 Thanks
  • 4,979 posts

Posted July 05, 2014 - 12:30 PM

20140705_132724.jpg 20140705_132734.jpg 20140705_132753.jpg

I was digging in my basement looking for some stuff and came across these from my grandfather. Thought maybe you guys would be interested.

There are a few hundred of them packed in there. It was a big deal for him to get those in the mail from the people he talked to.

Edited by toomanytoys84, July 05, 2014 - 06:39 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#21 Hammer OFFLINE  

• Member No: 7332
  • 113 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted July 05, 2014 - 05:32 PM

I still  have 2 CB's for a just in case need to have them event. AKA SHTF. 

Both of them a ran when I was driving OTR. One is a Cobra 29 with weather channel, has a conned board and peaked a tuned. Puts out around 25watts last time it was on a the bench. 

I Still have my Connex 3300HP with hi and low and freq counter. Barefoot it will put out 45 watts and is clear as setting next to me with no over modulation. Even with the 400 watt Linear it is still clear, just a bit more range.