Garden Tractor Forums banner

MF/snapper 1855 will one day be my MF2655 custom

19K views 71 replies 20 participants last post by  tweidman 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I bought a snapper 1855 minus the engine about a year ago. Soon after that I found a Kohler Aegis 26 on ebay for cheap. I started thinking how cool it would be to put a water cooled modern twin in the old 1855. So, I bought the Aegis after I figured out that it would just barely fit under the hood.
Here is the 1855 as I first found her... the engine was already sold to another buyer.:wallbanging:

See less See more
#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
I did not notice when I bought the tractor (and the seller did not point it out either) the tab on the rear end that supports the 3 point was broken off. I found the part that broke off in a box of parts that came with the tractor. I was taking a welding class at the time. I brought the tractor to class and learned how to weld cast iron.

Then a couple of days later I saw an axle on ebay for really cheap. So, I bought it, even if my weld holds fine, the replacement will look better.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
I did not have the upper or lower dash. They are plastic and hard to find in okay condition. I gave up the search for finding one that wasn't broken. Olcowhand (Daniel) had one that was not in great shape, but would serve as a model.

I bought a sheet of 16g steel and headed off to welding class again. Not so much to use the welders, but to use the break and sheer and other equipment.
After about 3 hours of playing with the toys in the shop, I came up with this.....

I did not get a chance to grind the welds down while I was in class. I probably did not even need to weld the outside edge. You know the saying...if it's worth doing, it's worth over doing.:D

After some time with the grinder at my home shop, I ended up with this...

#9 ·
Wow looks like lots of work going to be put into this one.You'll have a nice machine once its done.Will be nice to see the end result.I really like the idea of the water cooled motor. Larry.

G
#10 ·
What kind of welder are you using. I'm thinking of buying a little gasless flux core mig welder, for doing stuff like this, I know the gas mig welder would be nicer, but for one thing I wont be welding any 1/4 inch or larger steel, but rather smaler things like this

#11 ·
Mike, I built my entire FEL using my Clarke EN180 (180 amp)gas/no gas. I use flux wire to keep costs down. Cost me around $500 delivered and is a very good welder. I didn't catch what Todd gave for his, but it's a SUPER welder for sure! I could have used my 250 amp Hobart stick/TIG welder, but I wanted to see what the Clarke could do...and do it can!

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
To do the welding pictured, I was using a super huge Lincoln mig at the welding class. It worked great, but I don't even want to guess what it cost.
At home I have been using/borrowing a small 110v lincoln with gas. It works good, but multi pass welds are needed for heavier stuff.
I just purchased a used Millermatic 35 220v welder with gas. I have not used it yet. I am hoping this welder will do anything I will ever need, and got a great deal on this used machine $385 w/ a size K tank.

I'll post some more progress pics and text soon and get this post up to date with where I am now. I actually worked on it for the first time in months this past weekend.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
Another problem to solve. The replacement engine sits farther forward than the Onan. I need to bridge the gap and the Onan and the Kohler use two different bolt patterns.

My dad is friends with a machinist who was able to make the part from some mechanical drawling I sent him. Those years of Mechanical and Architectural drafting in high school finally pay off.

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
The one main thing these Massey Super Garden tractors are missing is Power steering. I plan on building a FEL for this machine, so power steering will be a necessity.
I start by ripping out the old manual column. Which was no easy job. Everything was rusted and stuck.

Then, I built a bracket to hold the orbital valve for the hydraulic steering. I used some tape to mark where I wanted the column to come out to match the stock location.

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
Now that the steering is in place, I can cut the holes in the dash and get it mounted. I agonized about cutting up the dash, because if I drill it wrong, it's back to square one.
They say measure twice, cut once. Well, I must have measured 50 times. But it payed off.
I was able to get the column hole and the throttle slot cut.

I also got the speed selector for the trans cut out.

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
After tons of looking around, I finally find a PTO clutch that will work. It's off of a JD420 and it fits the shaft and bolt pattern perfect. However, my engine is too far forward and I need to move it back.

As you recall I already had an adapter built with the correct spacing for the stub shaft. It WAS the correct spacing, now that the engine is shifted back, it's way to long.

I was able to find a stub from a 1650, which uses a Kohler engine and had the right bolt pattern, but the splined shaft was too short. So, I cut the shaft off of the old stub and welded it on the 1650 stub.

Boy do I hope it was centered and straight when I did the final weld.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.