• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,249 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 08:56 PM

Good to hear that you've got the tiller going. 
If it's been sitting for 25 years, I think I'd drain that hydro oil, and change
the filter.
Those filters are available. Sorry, I don't have the link to a supplier handy.
I'll look around. It's here somewhere.

Here is a link to the post with the information
http://gardentractor...ers/#entry60289
  • IamSherwood and Andy85 have said thanks

#32 Andy85 OFFLINE  

Andy85
  • Member No: 59490
  • 21 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 07:19 PM

Does the MF12 have a hydro filter? I sure don't see one under the rear left fender

#33 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 07:59 PM

Does the MF12 have a hydro filter? I sure don't see one under the rear left fender

I haven't been into either of my hydros yet, but my understanding is that the filter is located INSIDE the bottom reservoir, and you must remove the entire bottom plate to get to it.

• Sawdust and Andy85 have said thanks

#34 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 10:12 PM

Howard is correct , it's just inside the reservoir tank. Remove the bottom plate & be careful it will drop out. You will find a spring between the bottom of the filter & the plate that keeps it seated against the top.
  • Andy85 said thank you

#35 Andy85 OFFLINE  

Andy85
  • 21 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 12:38 PM

Well I'm back again... I finished tilling for now and am switching back to the mower attachment. I got it all put back together but now the belt is too loose to operate the mower pulley. I did switch back to the other belt. When I attach the spring to the shaft between the pulley to the S hook it's very tight. I know it was tight when I removed it but if those pulleys could swing to the back of the tractor it would be enough to engage them. So, I tried adjusting the idler pulley on the foot pedal and any other adjustments I could see, but could using the tiller have moved things this much? Also, the shaft that the mower pulleys attach to is supposed to just swing correct? the bolt that holds them on doesn't keep it tight, just the spring going to the frame. I know this sure sounds confusing, but I know you guys probably know what I'm talking about! Thanks AGAIN... I feel like I have never worked on anything before. Oh, I did drain and refill hydro fluid and it is much more quiet so thanks for that tip.  

-Andy

#36 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,249 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 04:06 PM

Is it possible the pulley assembly is end for ended?

#37 Andy85 OFFLINE  

Andy85
  • 21 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 07:52 PM

I'm sorry, I don't understand the question. Like inside and outside specific? The pulley that was on the inside had one set screw that was an allen so I'm sure I have it in correctly if that's what you mean. Would it hurt anything to get a belt that's an inch or two shorter? I appreciate your responses and enjoyed your pics! You have an awesome variety of tractors

• MH81 said thank you

#38 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,249 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 09:03 PM

Was the mower working when you bought the unit? If so, is that the same belt?
If everything is the same and the belt doesn't fit now, there has to be an installation issue...

How about the front hitch? Is it on correctly and everything where it was to start with?
  • Andy85 said thank you

#39 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • Member No: 25875
  • 1,665 Thanks
  • 1,646 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 02:59 PM

Guys, I've been reading this thread and watching you help Andy and all I can say is that you guys are awesome!

#40 MFGray OFFLINE  

MFGray

• Member No: 154
  • 129 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 03:29 PM

The mule drive should be able to move a little bit within the limits allowed by the spring that runs to the S-piece. That spring is meant to provide tension to the long drive belt that runs from the mule drive back to the mower gear box. The mule drive should not move to the back of the tractor - if it did, the drive belt would slip. Instead, it should be pulled forward by the spring to the point where the mule drive is just about 1/4 inch short of hitting the frame (you will probably see a dent where it has rubbed in the past). If you used a different hole in the support arms to mount the mower, or if you turned them upside down, it is possible that you mounted the mower a bit further back than the time before and this would result in the spring being a bit tighter.

The position of the mule drive doesn't really affect the tension on the shorter belt running from the engine pulley that much. It is the idler pulley that makes the big difference.  From your picture in post 12 it seems that the idler may be set a little low, and the finger meant to stop the belt from slipping round when it is disengaged is also not in its proper position, but to me it looks mainly as though the belt is at least one size too big. Looking my own, the fit seems to be tighter than yours - even when disengaged. I think you need a smaller belt.

• MH81, IamSherwood and Andy85 have said thanks

#41 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 08:59 PM

Have the pulleys been changed, and maybe the wrong size?

#42 Andy85 OFFLINE  

Andy85
  • 21 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 09:18 AM

Well embarrassingly enough it turns out I did have the wrong belt on it. I couldn't believe it! Sorry about wasting your time with that problem. Everything works perfectly on the tractor now. I just need to get my grease gun loaded correctly so I can hit all the fittings. The steering is my only big concern but I'm going to reread in this post where instructions to tighten it up were made. Also, the tractor seems a bit loud. I'm not sure if the muffler is shot or if this is how it's meant to sound. I was looking online for a new one and thought I saw where the sell the elbow and muffler to make a exhaust. I thought that would be nifty. Thanks again guys

• MFGray said thank you

#43 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,249 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 06:02 PM

These tractors were loud, they did have a quieter muffler available.
Some remakes and adaptations have been done.
I have always wanted to run one under & out the back too.

#44 Andy85 OFFLINE  

Andy85
  • 21 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 07:13 PM

Here are a couple pics of the tractor all cleaned up and running great

IMG_4198.JPG

IMG_4199.JPG

• MFGray, HowardsMF155, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#45 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 08:43 PM

That looks really nice!  Thanks for the pictures.