• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#16 Andy85 OFFLINE  

Andy85
  • Member No: 59490
  • 21 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 12:53 PM

ok I dl'd the tiller manual from this forum and it sure looks like the gear box for the tiller mounts through the same hole that the shaft with both pulleys is currently at. When I took the bolt on the current pulley shaft out it was a 9/16" bolt/nut. The bolt that holds the tiller gear box on is quite large so I'm not sure this is correct. So does the entire shaft and both pulleys come off to mount the tiller gear box? If so, that large spring attaching from the front of the tractor frame to the shaft would also have to come off. I think I'll wait to be sure of everything before I attempt this. The other attachments were so easy to put on and off that it seems this would be the same. Thanks again and I'm really sorry to blow up this thread

#17 Andy85 OFFLINE  

Andy85
  • 21 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 01:02 PM

IMG_4017.JPG

Just so I'm explaining myself correctly. This is the shaft that I am thinking I would need to take off. You can see the spring attached to the middle and the gear box for the tiller is just hanging on the pin behind it. This pic is looking from underneath front to back

#18 MFGray OFFLINE  

MFGray

• Member No: 154
  • 129 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 02:58 PM

Yes, the spring has to come off first, and the S-piece with it. Then remove the inner pulley to get to the nut/bolt holding the mule drive in place, undo that and slide out the bolt and sleeve and remove the whole assembly.

The tiller gearbox goes on loosely until everything has been connected up, then you can tighten the larger bolt.

The spring can be awkward, I use a length of twine looped through the end and pull on that with one foot while slipping off the S-piece.
  • MH81 said thank you

#19 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,239 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 04:13 PM

Yes, the spring has to come off first, and the S-piece with it. Then remove the inner pulley to get to the nut/bolt holding the mule drive in place, undo that and slide out the bolt and sleeve and remove the whole assembly.
The tiller gearbox goes on loosely until everything has been connected up, then you can tighten the larger bolt.
The spring can be awkward, I use a length of twine looped through the end and pull on that with one foot while slipping off the S-piece.

This is the way. :iagree:
You do need to remove the mule drive / pulley assembly / pulley-spring-tube-shaft-thing, whatever you call it... The thing outlined in Redish pink image.jpg

You will want to read the manual and figure out which tiller version you have and what it was on last. Pics can help us help you there. The tube on the input to the tiller will have an extension if on a 12 Hydro, they are a couple of inches longer.

#20 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,104 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 04:18 PM

Some pictures of mine. Hope they help.  The triangle part is for the snow plow so it doesn't move side to side when using. I hope thats right.  Noel

Oh yeah, if the right wheel turns too far to the right, this is what can happen to your tire. Hit some thing and tire turned on me into the pulley. May not happen with all tractors or type of tire you have on. Just my opinion.

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 686.jpg
  • Picture 687.jpg
  • Picture 688.jpg
  • Picture 689.jpg
  • Picture 690.jpg
  • Picture 691.jpg
  • Picture 692.jpg
  • Picture 693.jpg
  • Picture 694.jpg
  • Picture 695.jpg
  • Picture 696.jpg

Edited by propane1, June 30, 2014 - 04:27 PM.

• MH81 and IamSherwood have said thanks

#21 Andy85 OFFLINE  

Andy85
  • 21 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 05:22 PM

I got it!! Thanks guys. Extremely helpful... one last thing, what belt length does the tiller take? It's all ready to go, then realized the other pulley is too short. 

#22 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,239 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 05:29 PM

I think the belt numbers are in this article that DH1 did a few years ago.
http://gardentractor...8-inch-roto-r57

#23 Andy85 OFFLINE  

Andy85
  • 21 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 07:06 PM

Just got home from getting the belt (4L360P which is 36") and it's too short. The wife had the thought that maybe since the motor is a Kohler 12hp, not Tecumseh, the pulley on it could be in a slightly higher location. Any thoughts? 38"? Other than that, its ready to go, thanks to your help of course.

#24 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 08:12 PM

You showed a picture earlier with an idler pulley deflecting the drive belt down below the foot-rest plate.  That would seem to be a clue that the Kohler does sit higher than the Tecumseh.   I would tentatively say that the belt should be about 13 inches plus twice the distance from shaft center to shaft center.

• MH81 and IamSherwood have said thanks

#25 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,239 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 09:06 PM

You can take a 3/8" rope and wrap it between the pulleys like a belt and measure where they touch. Approximate measurement anyways
  • IamSherwood and gtcsreg have said thanks

#26 Andy85 OFFLINE  

Andy85
  • 21 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 03:15 PM

Ah! That does make sense. That's a good idea about the rope. I'll do just that.

#27 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 08:15 PM

You can take a 3/8" rope and wrap it between the pulleys like a belt and measure where they touch. Approximate measurement anyways

You could also try this, but I'm not sure if it's metric, or what.(inside joke :D )

http://www.calculato...belt length.htm

Edited by IamSherwood, July 01, 2014 - 08:16 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#28 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,239 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 08:35 PM

You could also try this, but I'm not sure if it's metric, or what.(inside joke :D )

http://www.calculato...belt length.htm

Thanks for reminding me, you have to use a 10mm rope if you do this in Canada.
  • IamSherwood and gtcsreg have said thanks

#29 Andy85 OFFLINE  

Andy85
  • 21 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 07:53 PM

Ok, tiller is functioning great! I used it for about 5 minutes and thought about the oil level in the tiller  itself so i checked it and it had just a few drops of oil in it. Anyway, it worked great after being topped off. The only complaint I have now is the terribly loose steering but I'll check into that. Thanks again for all your help and advice! Any other suggestions on what to check since it has been sitting for about 25 years? The transmission scares me, but it seems to go smooth enough. The reservoir under the seat was low when I got it so I filled it half way with ATF type F. Also, since I am new to the tractor world and this forum, what would you suggest I do? It would be nice to return the favor and help someone but it'll be a long time before I'm ready to give my opinion! Thanks again guys 

• MH81 said thank you

#30 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 08:40 PM

Good to hear that you've got the tiller going. 

If it's been sitting for 25 years, I think I'd drain that hydro oil, and change

the filter.

Those filters are available. Sorry, I don't have the link to a supplier handy.

I'll look around. It's here somewhere.

• MH81 said thank you