• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Andy85 OFFLINE  

Andy85
  • Member No: 59490
  • 21 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 09:28 PM

I just acquired a mf 12 but there are a couple things I'm uncertain of. I apologize in advance, I'm sure these are super basic questions.
1: the steering is very sloppy and the steering wheel doesn't seat in its hole
2: the engine is a kohler, were some of these fitted with this motor from the factory?
3: it has the turf tires and I need some more traction when using the plow so should I put the tractor style tires on it or would that leave ruts when mowing? I have the trailer also so could I put the tractor tires on those rims and swap when traction is needed?
4: I have the tiller attachment also but I don't know how the torque converter box mounts to the tractor. Do I remove a pulley? I've looked at the manual but it's still unclear.
5: I have a 16" or so bar that came with it that I don't know what it does, and also a large metal piece, triangular, that I don't know where it goes either. It has two bolts that are the same distance apart as the bolt holes on the front metal plate next to the release tab/spring.

Sorry I have so many questions. Any help would be very appreciated!
  • tinbender7, gtcsreg and Gabriel have said thanks

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,733 Thanks
  • 4,289 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 09:34 PM

Andy, Welcome to the forum. We have a lot of good Massey guys here and I'm sure they wil be along to help you. One thing I'll warn you is they'll want pictures. This will help see what you are asking about.

• gtcsreg and Gabriel have said thanks

#3 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • Member No: 25875
  • 1,665 Thanks
  • 1,649 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 10:04 PM

Welcome!  Questions help us all because these guys are great and you will get answers.

• Gabriel said thank you

#4 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 10:19 PM

WELCOME!

#5 mac102004 ONLINE  

mac102004

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1420
  • 227 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 11:47 PM

I just acquired a mf 12 but there are a couple things I'm uncertain of. I apologize in advance, I'm sure these are super basic questions.
1: the steering is very sloppy and the steering wheel doesn't seat in its hole
2: the engine is a kohler, were some of these fitted with this motor from the factory?
3: it has the turf tires and I need some more traction when using the plow so should I put the tractor style tires on it or would that leave ruts when mowing? I have the trailer also so could I put the tractor tires on those rims and swap when traction is needed?
4: I have the tiller attachment also but I don't know how the torque converter box mounts to the tractor. Do I remove a pulley? I've looked at the manual but it's still unclear.
5: I have a 16" or so bar that came with it that I don't know what it does, and also a large metal piece, triangular, that I don't know where it goes either. It has two bolts that are the same distance apart as the bolt holes on the front metal plate next to the release tab/spring.

Sorry I have so many questions. Any help would be very appreciated!

1 - Not sure what you mean by doesn't seat in it's hole? Maybe the splines on the wheel or the top of the steering shaft is damaged? There are a lot of wear points on the steering system. If you want to tighten it up, expect to replace all of the ball joints on the tractor and rebuild the steering box.

2 - The original eninge in the MF 10 and 12 was a Tecumseh, the 14 and 16 had Kohlers. If yours has a Kohler it's either a refit, or not a 12.

3 - Ag tires could potentially be harder on your lawn, but the rear ends in these tractors are fully open and not locked at all, so you should be OK. I have no idea what tires or wheels are on your trailer, none of the MF trailers had large enough wheels to swap with the rears on a 12. The OEM size would be 23x8.50x12 on the rear and 16x6.50x8 on the front.

4 - Have you looked at the owners manual for the tiller? Your's might have the jackshaft for the mower still installed, and I THINK that has to be removed. I have not had a chance to install my tiller, only removed it. So I don't know.

5 - Not sure on the metal bar. Pictures would help a lot in this case. Same with the trianguar piece. Initial thoughts would be a belt guard that attaches to the foot pedal? But would need pics for a better answer. At the very least you could have a look though the parts diagrams on Agcopartsbooks.com and see if you can find it.

• Andy85 said thank you

#6 Andy85 OFFLINE  

Andy85
  • 21 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 02:27 PM

Thanks for the responses. I will take some pics of everything I have questions about and post them.
Sorry for such vague questions.

#7 Andy85 OFFLINE  

Andy85
  • 21 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 02:34 PM

I know this is something I should know or could easily find, but how can I post a pic here?

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 02:38 PM

I know this is something I should know or could easily find, but how can I post a pic here?

hang on just a minute, let me get the link

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 02:39 PM

OK, here you go.
http://gardentractor...file-uploading/

As for the triangle piece, I think it's a lift helper spring mount for the snow blade or the snow blower.
The tiller gear box mounts where the mule drive/shaft for the mower is. You need to remove that first.
  • Andy85 said thank you

#10 Andy85 OFFLINE  

Andy85
  • 21 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 09:22 AM

I just tried removing the mower drive shaft and pulleys but it's not wanting to come off. I can see that I will need to remove the spring attached to this shaft but I'm afraid that'll be really hard to put back on just in case this isn't what I'm supposed to take off.
Anyway, I took some pics to better explain but I guess I haven't been a member long enough. The link I clicked just said "locked". Anyone know how long it takes before I can upload? Sorry again for all the annoying questions, but I truly appreciate the help

#11 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,733 Thanks
  • 4,289 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 09:38 AM

Locked just refers to the fact that no one can reply on the post. You should still be able to view the video but it may take a while to come up. If you use the "more reply options" at the bottom, it takes you to a page where you can choose pictures from your computer and put them on the page. then put your cursor where you want the picture in the message and click "add to post" behind each picture

• Andy85 said thank you

#12 Andy85 OFFLINE  

Andy85
  • 21 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 11:29 AM

Ok sorry about that, I guess you have to be on a computer rather than phone to attach files. Here is my current configuration. It sounds to me like you're saying I need to take both pulleys and shaft that go to the mower deck attachment in order to mount the gear box for the tiller. I tried this Friday but it didn't seem right. I guess this spring that attaches to the shaft must come off as well. The reason I hesitated was that the spring is under a lot of tension and was afraid of not being able to get it back on. 

Also I included pics of my current real tire. The ones on the trailer seem to be the same size and I believe they also are Massey Ferguson wheels since they are the 4 spoke with square hole just like the tractor. They are just skinnier. No big rush there. 

The other pic is the steering wheel where it attaches to the column coming out of the dash. I'm sure there's an adjustment from below that can get the wheel to seat or it's supposed to. Sorry for such a random post with multiple questions/problems. I will try and be more organized and concise in the future. Thanks for all of your patience and help with this tractor and this forum! I am very impressed with the amount of prompt help here. 

-Andy

IMG_4123.JPG

IMG_4111.PNG

IMG_4110.JPG

IMG_4108.JPG

If there are any other views I can add to provide better detail please let me know and I will do so quickly (I'm finally home from my 36 hour shift at work)

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 11:36 AM

Yes, spring and pulley assembly does come off to mount tiller box. (Check oil in box before mounting it)
(Separate Pedal, spring and pulley assembly stays)
Steering wheel, there should be a rubber grommet around that shaft to keep it centered. Slop there is not intentional.

As for the wheels, we would need a pic or two of the cart and wheels. I don't think they had a 12" wheel on their trailers, but maybe it's modified or built?
  • Andy85 said thank you

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 11:41 AM

That pulley assembly comes off with a bolt, but you do have to remove one pulley to get the ing off (from memory) the inside one?

That mule drive is a son of a gun to get off sometimes, don't lose your patience.
One of the reasons I have started thinking a "tractor for each implement"

#15 Andy85 OFFLINE  

Andy85
  • 21 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 12:13 PM

Is the mule drive the "torque converter" or square red box with the pulley attached? I have that attached to the mower deck and I have another one that goes with the drive shaft for the tiller... I'm guessing this is something else. So I take the nut off the inner pulley I have the pic of and only take the inner pulley off? That makes sense. There is a hole on the other box, does this pivot on something? Here are some additional pics. I'm pretty sure I now understand how it goes since only the inner pulley comes off but just want to confirm with you guys. The only part I'm concerned with is where the drive mounts to the tractor. Also, here are a couple of wheel pics. Black is trailer (obviously). Thanks again!!!!!

IMG_4124.JPG

IMG_4125.JPG

IMG_4126.JPG

IMG_4127.JPG

IMG_4128.JPG

IMG_4129.JPG